What's new

n-Acetyl Cysteine and R-Lipoic Acid

kl.Gray Owl

Kava Enthusiast
Before I stumbled onto Kavasseur I was looking into the issues with liver damage--both from kava kava and just in general and about supplements that might help protect against potential liver damage.  I gather now that with kava kava that is properly prepared in the traditional method, and if you are not combining with other substances like Tylenol (acetominophen) and alcohol, which put a heavy load on CYP450, liver damage may not be a concern at all.  Liver glutathione levels seem to be important, ordinarily ingested glutathione will be broken down in the digestive tract and not absorbed, but there are two glutatione precursors that look promising:  n-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) and alpha-lipoic acid, especially the R enantiomer (RLA), which is the one that is active.

NAC is routinely used in treatment for acetominophen overdose and sometimes for certain lung conditions like COPD, chronic bronchitis, asthma, it has also been used in HIV treatment, and it happens to be kidney protective.  I find this easy to take and also seems to help my allergy symptoms, which is a bonus, but too soon to tell if that is just placebo effect.  It is also supposed to help prevent side effects from niacin like hot flashes.

http://www.webmd.com/vita...Name=N-ACETYL%20CYSTEINE

Alpha-lipoic acid is sometimes used for treatment of diabetes in conjunction with other medicines, with stroke and other conditions that effect brain function.  I find that it gives me heartburn especially if I take it in the evening or on an empty stomach, but in the morning with food it seems to be OK.  The R enantiomer is the one that is active and is used to produce glutathione in the body, but there is no evidence that the L enantiomer is in any way harmful or that pure R-lipoic acid (RLA) is any better than the racemic mixture, contrary to the claims of some of the producers of pure RLA, which is more expensive.

http://www.umm.edu/altmed.../alpha-lipoic-000285.htm

I suspect that both of these supplements may cause kavalactones to be metabolized more quickly thus reducing the strength and length of any effects, but it's something to look into if you are concerned about potential liver damage.

On a side note, as an undergrad in the late 1980's, where I studied biochemistry, I wrote a comprehensive review of the literature on alcohol abuse in indigenous populations, most of it was crap e.g. comparing healthy caucasian staff members at a hospital with invalid patients.  Of the valid studies that I found, an effect that was reported fairly consistently was that in some indigenous populations, liver enzyme production was more variable and would ramp up considerably compared to other ethnic groups, which makes sense for people better adapted to a "feast or famine" cycle i.e. when food is less available, metabolism slows down to reduce hunger and prolong sustenance vs. when a lot of food is available, metabolism speeds up to help replace damaged cells and body mass quickly while food is plentiful to make the most of the good food supply.

This has 2 important effects:  1) people quickly habituate to larger doses of intoxicants, requiring a lot more a lot sooner than other populations to achieve the same effect;  2) withdrawal symptoms are more severe because the ramped up metabolism leads to faster processing of neurotransmitters and other substances that cause unpleasant side effects when levels are too low, this leads to dependency earlier than in other populations--this also has to do with the way that substances are sort of "prioritized" for metabolism and liver loading i.e. as long as there is alcohol in the system, that will get metabolized first and neurotransmitters won't start to be affected until the alcohol is absent, that is why there are no side effects as long as the alcohol is present.  Where I am going with this is that the studies of aborigines are not necessarily relevant unless you happen to be an aborigine yourself, also there are probably other environmental factors like malnutrition and concomitant alcoholism.

kl.Swingline

Kava Curious
Interesting post. For anyone who is concerned or who has had their glutathione levels tested you can purchase Selenium, Cysteine (NAC), Glycine, and Vitamin E at considerable less expense AND more effectiveness than Glutathione supplements. They are the basis for glutathione which really should be made within the body/liver. Also, soy lecithin is healthy for the liver - helps flush out fat. (These opinions are based on my personal extensive research. I'm not a doctor.)

kl.NDG

Kava Enthusiast
NAC also has a role in glutamate regulation and can be used for OCD and other neuropsychiatric disorders involving impaired glutamanergic signalling, such as ADHD.

I'm not all that concerned about hepatoxicity from kava, the studies are mixed with most showing no ill effects with one in a murine model showing kavain was inherently hepatotoxic, although not that this matters.

kl.new2kava

Kava Enthusiast
I wonder if drinking grapefruit juice to inhibit the CYP450 enzyme from breaking down the compound would be benificial in the case of kava or more deliterious to liver function. Drinking grapefruit juice is pretty well established to enhance potency of many opioids and benzos and has even been effective with K@, but no formal studies have been conducted to show if this is unhealthy for liver function. If this could slow down the taxing on the CYP450 it could be benificial, but then again the unprocessed kavalactones could overload the liver and do much more harm thn good.

kl.Gray Owl

Kava Enthusiast
I have Crohn's Disease and have had a few episodes of elevated liver enzymes due to the accumulation of antinuclear antibodies against single-strand DNA, so I think it's prudent to be a little cautious. I am also an Aspergian, so the glutaminergic signaling pathway is relevant, there is some evidence that in some cases Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) may stem from mutations in SHANK3 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SHANK3. Insufficient methylation of folic acid is another potential factor, I take a methylfolate supplement called Deplin that helps a lot with concentration. Deplin has been life-changing for me. It's kind of shocking what a difficult time I have concentrating without it, I wonder how I ever accomplished anything with that level of impairment. And yet, when it comes to one of my obsessions like computers, I can concentrate on a task for a very long period of time.

kl.NDG

Kava Enthusiast
Gray Owl said:
I have Crohn's Disease and have had a few episodes of elevated liver enzymes due to the accumulation of antinuclear antibodies against single-strand DNA, so I think it's prudent to be a little cautious. I am also an Aspergian, so the glutaminergic signaling pathway is relevant, there is some evidence that in some cases Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) may stem from mutations in SHANK3 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SHANK3. Insufficient methylation of folic acid is another potential factor, I take a methylfolate supplement called Deplin that helps a lot with concentration. Deplin has been life-changing for me. It's kind of shocking what a difficult time I have concentrating without it, I wonder how I ever accomplished anything with that level of impairment. And yet, when it comes to one of my obsessions like computers, I can concentrate on a task for a very long period of time.
dude i'm an aspie too, LOL. When I started reading your post I was like this seems like something I would say. I too take methyl donors, yes methyltetrahydro folate is important but things like tri methyl glycine, methlycobalamin have neuronal effects besides methlation that makes them worthwhile. I would suggest methyl donor from Throne, it too has improved my life, i have no concetration but have incredible hyper-focus at times.
for the IBD i would suggest you look into boswellia
Wien Med Wochenschr. 2002;152(15-16):373-8.[Boswellic acids (components of frankincense) as the active principle in treatment of chronic inflammatory diseases].[Article in German]Ammon HP.SourceLehrstuhl Pharmakologie für Naturwissenschaftler, Pharmazeutisches Institut der Universität Tübingen, Deutschland. [email protected] from the gum resin of Boswellia serrata have been used as a traditional remedy in Ayurvedic medicine in India for the treatment of inflammatory diseases. Compounds from the gum with genuine antiinflammatory effects are pentacyclic triterpenes of the boswellic acid type. Boswellic acids inhibit the leukotriene biosynthesis in neutrophilic granulocytes by a non-redox, noncompetitive inhibition of 5-lipoxygenase. The effect is triggered by boswellic acids binding to the enzyme. Moreover certain boswellic acids have been described to inhibit elastase in leukocytes, to inhibit proliferation, induce apoptosis and to inhibit topoisomerases of leukoma- and glioma cell lines. A series of chronic inflammatory diseases are thought to be perpetuated by leukotrienes. In clinical trials promising results were observed in patients with rheumatoid arthritis, chronic colitis, ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease, bronchial asthma und peritumoral brains edemas
the full text is a good read. Also, i would look into lowering tumor-necrosis factor alpha (TNF-a), and a drug you may not have tried is bupropion. Yup, good old zyban or wellbutrin depending on where you live.
Int Immunopharmacol. 2006 Jun;6(6):903-7. Epub 2006 Jan 25.A new chapter opens in anti-inflammatory treatments: the antidepressantbupropion lowers production of tumor necrosis factor-alpha and interferon-gamma in mice.Brustolim DRibeiro-dos-Santos RKast REAltschuler ELSoares MB.SourceCentro de Pesquisas Gonçalo Moniz, FIOCRUZ. Rua Waldemar Falcão, 121- Candeal, Salvador, BA, Brazil, 40296-750.AbstractIn a wide range of human diseases of inflammatory nature like Crohn's disease, pathology is mediated in part by pro-inflammatory cytokines like tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF) or interferon-gamma. We show here that a commonly used generic antidepressant bupropion, in wide use worldwide to treat depression in humans for a decade now, profoundly lowers levels of TNF, interferon-gamma, and interleukin-1 beta in vivo, in a mouse lipopolysaccharide (LPS) induced inflammation model. Mice challenged with an otherwise lethal dose of LPS were protected by bupropion and levels of the anti-inflammatory cytokine interleukin-10 were increased. Previous data in rodents and humans indicate antidepressant effects of bupropion are mediated by its weak reuptake inhibition of norepinephrine and dopamine. Concordant with this, TNF suppression bybupropion in our mouse LPS model was largely abrogated by beta-adrenergic or dopamine D1 receptor antagonists but not by a D2 antagonist. TNF synthesis is controlled by an inverse relationship with intracellular cyclic adenosine monophosphate (cAMP) and stimulation of either beta-adrenoreceptors or D1 dopaminergic receptors result in increased cAMP but stimulation of D2 receptors lowers cAMP. We conclude that bupropion may suppress TNF synthesis by mediating increased signaling at beta-adrenoreceptors and D1 receptors, resulting in increased cAMP that inhibits TNF synthesis. Bupropion is well tolerated also in non-psychiatric populations and has less risk with long term use than current anti-inflammatory, immunosuppressive or TNF suppressive treatments such as prednisone, azathioprine, infliximab, or methotrexate. New anti-inflammatory treatments are needed. We believe a new chapter in antiinflammatory, TNF lowering treatment of disease has been opened. Bupropion's use for this in humans should be explored.
Gastroenterology. 2003 Oct;125(4):1290.Crohn's disease remission on bupropion.Kane SAltschuler ELKast RE.
I can't access my shit right now, but there are specific trials on the drug and one under way.
There are multiple other treatments i could get into but i'd imagine you are pretty informed.