What's new

Nausea :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skitty

Kava Enthusiast
The bad news: I threw up again ::pupeyes2::

I did the traditional prep method for Kalm With Kava's Borongoru medium grind and I'm a bit nauseous but not as much. I made fresh juice from Apple, celery, spinach and strawberries and I mixed it with the kava so it wouldn't taste as bad.

The good news: I'm not nearly as dehydrated and I'm not constantly running to the bathroom. Also, I'm not feeling anxious, just the tension of my stomach rebelling, lol ::sweating::

Would instant kavas not make me as nauseous?

dr phalloid

Kava Enthusiast
The bad news: I threw up again ::pupeyes2::

I did the traditional prep method for Kalm With Kava's Borongoru medium grind and I'm a bit nauseous but not as much. I made fresh juice from Apple, celery, spinach and strawberries and I mixed it with the kava so it wouldn't taste as bad.

The good news: I'm not nearly as dehydrated and I'm not constantly running to the bathroom. Also, I'm not feeling anxious, just the tension of my stomach rebelling, lol ::sweating::

Would instant kavas not make me as nauseous?
hi skitty,the best thing I find for preventing nausea is ginger I personally add one drop of ginger oil to prevent nausea.remember take on empty stomach.

CactusKava

Phoenix, AZ
Kava Vendor
I get queasy from nasty tastes, so I've developed a system that really helps me with nausea and the taste.

Let me give you some words of wisdom about how to drink kava. Here's what I do:
Step 1: Get a glass of ice water (or chilled juice), chilled kava, and candied ginger (you can find this at nearly any grocery store. I buy mine from the bulk bins where you normally find beans and such. It looks like this[1] )
Step 2: Get your kava ready in a 4oz portion. I always use a little mason jar that shows the amount right on the glass.
Step 3: Exhale every possible last breath in your body.
Step 4: While holding your breath out and not breathing in, chug your kava.
Step 5: While still holding your breath, take a swig of water (or juice).
Step 6: While still holding your breath, take a nibble of ginger.
Step 7: Go ahead and breath in.

It sounds really complicated, but it's not too bad. This helps me reduce the taste of the kava (it's chilled and you're not using your nose, so it dulls the flavor), it helps to remove the taste of kava (swig of water/juice + the pungent ginger), and ginger helps to relieve nausea.

Also, with the 80 micron strainer bags I include with every order, you should be able to minimize the amount of nausea you get. Good luck!

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I use knee highs and they work fine. It seems heavier strains disagree with you, do you get the same effect from heady strains?

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
The nausea thing is really weird with me. I go through periods where any form of kava will nauseate me and other times where I only have stomach issues with micro. I do find that it helps to have something light in my stomach when I drink, not enough to get in the way of the kava digestion but enough to give it something to work on besides just the kava.

Steph

Kava Enthusiast
I agree with the crystallized ginger (candied ginger). At first I did have nausea. I don't swallow the piece of ginger, I just chew it and get the juice. As time passes, I find that I am able to tolerate the taste better.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Drink slower and with smaller, weaker batches. Always drink Noble Kava if you are getting nausea, because a peppery or grassy Tudei will make you horrendously sick.

I'd stick with something light but strong, and do 2 tablespoons to each cup of water.

Skitty

Kava Enthusiast
Drink slower and with smaller, weaker batches. Always drink Noble Kava if you are getting nausea, because a peppery or grassy Tudei will make you horrendously sick.

I'd stick with something light but strong, and do 2 tablespoons to each cup of water.
I only did 2 tablespoons in 3 cups of water

VictoryRider

Kava Enthusiast
I totally agree with the not-inhaling-until-after-a-chaser method (really works wonders)
plus of course candied ginger or raw ginger root after each shell. I do both, and haven't had stomach upset in ages.

dino9832

Kava Enthusiast
I sometimes get nausea from kava, but like way after drinking it. Of course, then I get nauseated even at the thought! Once my stomach gets all icky, it's like a prelude to an upcoming all-day nausea!

I've heard people refer to kava as peppery. Not that it really tastes peppery to me, but the nausea I experience is like what I'd get from say acid indigestion. Just a theory, but maybe it's the peppery component of kava that's nauseating people.
I found this "Kava comes from the root of the yaqona (piper methysticum) bush, a relative of the pepper plant. " here: http://twenty-somethingtravel.com/2012/06/truth-kava-fiji/

So. What I've found is that 1 tsp of baking soda helps. I drink my kava, then follow it with water and 1 tsp of baking soda.
Now, here's the key. I do the baking soda again a few hours later! Just, sorta keep up with it as needed. One of the worse things for me, is to fall asleep too soon after drinking kava. Then, the dehydration and stomach acid run wild without intervention! Not to mention, I miss out on some of that mellow feeling.

rayken

Kava Enthusiast
you asked if knee highs would suffice. did you use those? while they are perfectly ok to use (i use them as well) make sure if you do that you use 2 of them

VictoryRider

Kava Enthusiast
Knee highs?

Gotta be Friday, otherwise why on earth would I have thought of this:

To make a really big batch of grog, you could just buy a pair of pantyhose (the kind with legs and panties built-in), fill 'em up with
medium grind, then dunk them into a large bowl/tank of water, and start kneading, one panyhose leg in each hand.

It'd be like milking a huge cow. Oh, the imagery...

Status
Not open for further replies.