What's new

Kava Poll Need Advice. Which should I get?

Which would you get?

• 11 Year Waka

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hiwa

• 11 and Mahakea

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So I want to try some new micronized cultivars...
I like Pouni Ono and Loa Waka from KWK the best.

Choosing between 11 year Waka from BKH and Mahakea or Hiwa from GHK.
Which would you get?

*Bonus points if you’ve tried Hiwa, can’t seem to find any reviews, but it’s supposed to be potent, heady and euphoric.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin

Which would you get?

*Bonus points if you’ve tried Hiwa, can’t seem to find any reviews, but it’s supposed to be potent, heady and euphoric.
I only tried Hiwa once, maybe twice and this going back 3 years but from my recollection, it was a heavy kava with pain numbing qualities.

Certain kavas have opposite reactions with some people, where the majority may describe it one way and a select few will have the complete opposite reaction. It's possible Hiwa is heady, it wasn't for me. I haven't tried the micros or the 11 year. Micro, while may be convenient, has you ingesting too many makas, it wreaks havoc on my stomach. Out of the 3 you mentioned, I'd go with the Mahakea as a staple Hawaiian awa and producing balanced effects.

There are 11 member reviews on Hiwa, here is the most recent.

Thank you for the info! I just ordered Mahakea. I’m gonna wait to see what other people say before I decide whether or not to get the 11 year Waka too.

Zaphod

Kava Lover

Which would you get?

I spent my first 3-4 months of kava drinking with the mahakea microgrind. That was several years ago, but mahakea is still one of my favorites. 11 year is also very good, maybe a bit more heady than the mahakea which is bit more balanced. I have not had any microgrind in awhile so YMMV. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

I spent my first 3-4 months of kava drinking with the mahakea microgrind. That was several years ago, but mahakea is still one of my favorites. 11 year is also very good, maybe a bit more heady than the mahakea which is bit more balanced. I have not had any microgrind in awhile so YMMV. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.
Thanks! People are saying that the 11 year is balanced or heady, but the chemotype starts with a 2. That kinda makes me think it would be heavy, no? It seems people don’t think it’s super heavy.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Thanks! People are saying that the 11 year is balanced or heady, but the chemotype starts with a 2. That kinda makes me think it would be heavy, no? It seems people don’t think it’s super heavy.
If you love heady, try BKH Nambawan, that'd put a perma grin on your face..:)

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!

Which would you get?

Hiwa and mahakea are the only actual cultivars there. The others are blends and will contain different cultivars and ratios of those cultivars so there will be variability (often times drastic) from batch to batch.

The last time I had Hiwa, which was a couple years ago, it was on the heavy side for a Hawaiian.

Chemotypes are interesting and good to know but they don't reveal the full effects of the root. To get a better idea you'll also have to consider the % of each KL in relation to the total KL%, the freshness, method of processing, etc.

The last time I tried the 11 year it was strong and balanced with noticeable headiness and some sedation at the end. I don't drink much micronized anymore so I mostly use it to salvage traditionally prepped sessions when I end up with a weak batch.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Generally speaking yes - but there is variability batch to batch, and chemotype is a very imprecise indicator of both quality and effects. In addition, even with the exact same kava two people can have different impressions of it. I find this part of the enjoyment of kava.