What's new

Need help desperately

Hi! I am a 64 year old senior who is desperately in need of help. I am currently 21 months off all my psych meds that I should never have been on. These included but were not limited to: Benzodiazapines started at age 12 and on them 4 approximately 26 years. During this time I was also polydrugged on some anti-psychotics (had bad reactions to them all), some anti-depressants (same reactions) and briefly possibly others that I wasn't aware of. I was off all poisons 4 13 years until my thyroid malfunctioned and it took them a year 2 discover this and during this time I was put on Seroquel, Mirtazapine Gabapentin and Zoplicone for the chronic insomnia, anxiety and panic attacks etc. that I was experiencing 24/7. Since this time my thyroid has never been optimal. Due to having breast cancer in 1998 and being treated surgically and with radiation I have never felt well. I believe this is what first caused my thyroid to malfunction.

At the present time I am still experiencing horrendous withdrawal symptoms from possibly the Seroquel (was on this for about 4 years, off now for about 2.5 years), Gabapentin (on this for about 14 years, off now for about 3.75 years), Zoplicone (on this for about 7 months, off now for about 3.75 years) and the last one to go was Mirtazapine (on for about 14 years, off now for about 21 months). The withdrawal symptoms I'm experiencing are: chronic insomnia (no sleep for weeks on end then maybe a couple of hours, then back to none for weeks), burning, tingling, numbness throughout body and head, burning brain, myoclonic jerks, adrenaline surges, vibrations throughout body and head, depersonalization/derealization, anxiety/panic attacks and the list goes on. I also suffer from acute hypothyroidism, severe adrenal exhaustion, possible Lyme Disease, left branch bundle block in my heart, had cancer surgery (removal of two basal cell carcinomas from my head last September) and recent cataract surgery.

I really need something that will help me with my chronic insomnia that is neither addicting or has any withdrawal symptoms. I have used Kava in the past and have recently tried it again but it doesn't appear to be helping with anything this time. Please if anyone can give me some advice on how to use this without become addicted to it, it would be greatly appreciated. I feel like I'm very close to death with this horrendous withdrawal, don't want to die, but can't go on living much longer like this. I'm all alone with no one to help me with anything. My family of origin wants me dead and has left me alone to die. I also need to know if Kava Kava is addictive or has any withdrawal symptoms as I can't take anything that does as I know my body and mind will not withstand another withdrawal. I'm currently working with an excellent herbalist who is extremely knowledgeable, caring, understanding and supportive and has given me some Kava but I'm terrified to use it in case I get either dependent or addicted to it. Please let me know as soon as possible. Thank you.

Last edited:

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
Kava is not going to hurt you. Just make sure you do well at staying hydrated as it is a diuretic. It's better if taken a few hours before bed as it helps wind down the nervous system in a sort of indirect way. It's not like taking a sleeping pill but can do wonders. You'll see.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
PS do what the herbalist says. I have seen countless people who say herbal medicine doesn't work, but they don't actually take the herbs as directed. Do the things, then decide.
Very important. A good herbalist will work with you to make the herbs easier to take. if not. Try a new one. And use the American Herbalists guild directory to find one

Pauluk

Kava Enthusiast
Ive taken kava every day for 13 months. Except maybe 10 days.
I was fine when i didnt take it. And uniquely i get the same benefit for the same dose even after a year

I would say, you will be fine.

MichaelMcKava

Kava Curious
I've actually researched into this, as I thought I experienced Kava withdrawal when I took it around the same time I was quitting smoking. I should say, the withdrawal symptoms were just from quitting smoking... Kava doesn't cause withdrawal, in anyone. It is however psychologically addicting, like almost anything psychoactive. I don't think you should worry about that though considering your current needs.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Hi! I am a 64 year old senior who is desperately in need of help. I am currently 21 months off all my psych meds that I should never have been on. These included but were not limited to: Benzodiazapines started at age 12 and on them 4 approximately 26 years. During this time I was also polydrugged on some anti-psychotics (had bad reactions to them all), some anti-depressants (same reactions) and briefly possibly others that I wasn't aware of. I was off all poisons 4 13 years until my thyroid malfunctioned and it took them a year 2 discover this and during this time I was put on Seroquel, Mirtazapine Gabapentin and Zoplicone for the chronic insomnia, anxiety and panic attacks etc. that I was experiencing 24/7. Since this time my thyroid has never been optimal. Due to having breast cancer in 1998 and being treated surgically and with radiation I have never felt well. I believe this is what first caused my thyroid to malfunction.

At the present time I am still experiencing horrendous withdrawal symptoms from possibly the Seroquel (was on this for about 4 years, off now for about 2.5 years), Gabapentin (on this for about 14 years, off now for about 3.75 years), Zoplicone (on this for about 7 months, off now for about 3.75 years) and the last one to go was Mirtazapine (on for about 14 years, off now for about 21 months). The withdrawal symptoms I'm experiencing are: chronic insomnia (no sleep for weeks on end then maybe a couple of hours, then back to none for weeks), burning, tingling, numbness throughout body and head, burning brain, myoclonic jerks, adrenaline surges, vibrations throughout body and head, depersonalization/derealization, anxiety/panic attacks and the list goes on. I also suffer from acute hypothyroidism, severe adrenal exhaustion, possible Lyme Disease, left branch bundle block in my heart, had cancer surgery (removal of two basal cell carcinomas from my head last September) and recent cataract surgery.

I really need something that will help me with my chronic insomnia that is neither addicting or has any withdrawal symptoms. I have used Kava in the past and have recently tried it again but it doesn't appear to be helping with anything this time. Please if anyone can give me some advice on how to use this without become addicted to it, it would be greatly appreciated. I feel like I'm very close to death with this horrendous withdrawal, don't want to die, but can't go on living much longer like this. I'm all alone with no one to help me with anything. My family of origin wants me dead and has left me alone to die. I also need to know if Kava Kava is addictive or has any withdrawal symptoms as I can't take anything that does as I know my body and mind will not withstand another withdrawal. I'm currently working with an excellent herbalist who is extremely knowledgeable, caring, understanding and supportive and has given me some Kava but I'm terrified to use it in case I get either dependent or addicted to it. Please let me know as soon as possible. Thank you.
Kava has no physical addiction. It may or may not help with the troubles you are experiencing, but I see no harm in trying. It sounds like you have a multitude of issues both physically and mentally. I wish you all the best of luck in your search for a solution.