What's new

Kava Botany Need Help With ID On Possible Kava In Costa Rica

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Plants are awesome. That's cool you spotted that. I never thought to look to see similarities between the appearance of kava and other pepper plants; pretty striking.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
That really looks like actual Piper Methysticum to me. Piper Auritum's center vein in the center of the leaf is where the other veins in the leaf connect. Methysticum leaf veins all radiate from the center of the leaf as shown in the pictures above.

Piper Auritum pictured below
4b30f021541f33ecde0cf113137b1f54--root-beer-piper.jpg

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
I

I think you're correct. After some research the smell desribed online is exactly what I'm smelling when I take a whiff of the leaves.
Piper auritum has a longer leaf and a midrib through the center with veins branching out along it. The leaf pictures you provide do have have that feature.
There are Macropiper species with leaves such as in your pictures.

That really looks like actual Piper Methysticum to me. Piper Auritum's center vein in the center of the leaf is where the other veins in the leaf connect. Methysticum leaf veins all radiate from the center of the leaf as shown in the pictures above.

Piper Auritum pictured below
View attachment 8912
It does look strikingly similar to actual Kava. The smell of the plant is exactly what is desribed for Piper Aritum online though. I have chewed quite a bit of raw Kava root living in Hawaii and it never smelled like this.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
It does look strikingly similar to actual Kava. The smell of the plant is exactly what is desribed for Piper Aritum online though. I have chewed quite a bit of raw Kava root living in Hawaii and it never smelled like this.
I'll have to rely on those members here who handle fresh kava from the ground, but I would almost bet money the smells of the leaf would be quite similar.

I'll have to rely on those members here who handle fresh kava from the ground, but I would almost bet money the smells of the leaf would be quite similar.
Kava leaf doesn't have much of a smell in my opinion and from my expirence growing it. This plant on the other hand smells heavily like black licorice or fennel.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Kava leaf doesn't have much of a smell in my opinion and from my expirence growing it. This plant on the other hand smells heavily like black licorice or fennel.
Ah ha. Seeing a live kava plant is still on the bucket list. So much experience among the members here. I truly hope you've found Kava in Costa Rica. That would make my month, week, year. The smell lines up from what I'm reading and obliviously what you're experiencing, but the leaf... Man that leaf looks so Kava-y I want to dig it up and eat the roots.

Ah ha. Seeing a live kava plant is still on the bucket list. So much experience among the members here. I truly hope you've found Kava in Costa Rica. That would make my month, week, year. The smell lines up from what I'm reading and obliviously what you're experiencing, but the leaf... Man that leaf looks so Kava-y I want to dig it up and eat the roots.
It is definitely a priviliedge to cultivate Kava! I was lucky enough to harvest and help grow 50+ year old Kava plants of three different strains when I lived in Hawaii. Theres nothing like chewing on a raw fresh root! I think I'll go dig up a root and do a test chew now! I'll let everyone know how it goes.

kavamehameha

Magnum's 'awa drinking bird
Piper Auritum's center vein in the center of the leaf is where the other veins in the leaf connect. Methysticum leaf veins all radiate from the center of the leaf as shown in the pictures above.
I just was going to say that. @ShawnTheDirtyHippie , this is definitely NOT Piper Auritum, as its veins radiate from a common point. Macropiper can have similar leaf structures, but their leaves are usually more "glossy". Thus it quite looks like Piper Methysticum.