What's new

New article posted, need opinions...

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Just posted a new article on the True Kava site, might be a little harsh, would appreciate opinions: Think you've tried kava?
Thanks,
Garry
I don't consider that harsh. It's pointed, however. It's written from a place of concern in an attempt to "set the record straight" and make a very important distinction between the broad category of "kava" as piper methysticum and "kava" as the traditional beverage with all the good benefits, which is a pretty small subset. And a subset that's been painstakingly groomed for thousands of years by the people who know the plant the best to be the drink that anyone looking for "kava" ACTUALLY WANTS, though they don't know it yet because there's no regulation.

Flooding the market with so-so products that are all piper methysticum does a huge disservice to the centuries of efforts of millions of polynesian farmers when representing what the root actually is and what it can do. I think this is really great stuff, and I applaud your carrying of the banner on this. I want to see mainstream media pick this up at some point. I think it will, eventually, if nakamals continue to spread and kava enthusiasts have access to the REAL information about what they're drinking.

EDIT: I think if tudei got linked to gluten, we'd have something newsorthy. :-D

Last edited:

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I think it's good to call out the bunk kava products. I generally don't have the heart to say things like, well if you took a 250mg pill of kava and it helped your symptoms, it was the placebo effect. I steer people towards the powdered root or at the very least a quality no-prep product, but I wonder if I should just say these things outright in a pointed way.

ApéroNoble

The d'Artagnan forum 4th Kavateer
Very nice Garry but it needs to be darker; a bit hard on the eyes

Last edited:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
@Deleted User I think the article is great! I'm with Steve in regards to the harshness. It doesn't seem harsh to me at all. It's simply the truth, and if someone construes it as harsh, that's their own issue.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I think it was a really a smart move on your part to create a web presence for your new endeavor. It allows you to become "Deleted User Unshackled". :)

Seriously, you're doing some really great stuff. Although we are similar in age, your level of intensity and effort really puts me to shame. :(

I don't always agree with what you have to say, but I always read what you have to say and give it serious thought. (y)

Bula

ApéroNoble

I think it was a really a smart move on your part to create a web presence for your new endeavor. It allows you to become "Deleted User Unshackled". :)

Seriously, you're doing some really great stuff. Although we are similar in age, your level of intensity and effort really puts me to shame. :(

I don't always agree with what you have to say, but I always read what you have to say and give it serious thought. (y)

Bula
I love Deleted User and that big shaggy beard, reminds me of Tolstoy
images (56).jpg

ApéroNoble

Oh help me Rhonda was History not your cup of tea Hodgie or you've not I dare say read War & Peace

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I know what you mean about placebo effect, but I hate to discourage someone if they think a product helps (unless it's harmful). I also think there is a quite low medicinal level of kava that does work, it's just not the effect that we've come to know.
Yes, I have a hard time with this. As someone who drinks 3/4 cup of powdered root at a time, I am obviously on the very extreme end of sensitivity and not qualified to judge how most people should measure out their doses. It's not hard for me to imagine that someone with a lot of constant anxiety could take 2-3 tbsp and notice a big difference in how they feel. So I'm not really sure what to tell people, but I do feel like kava pills from the pharmacy are where I draw the line on effectiveness (aside from Gaia who seem to produce a decent extract from what I've heard, ignoring for a moment the issues with nonpolar solvent extracts). Not only are they not much by weight, but the product is also likely of low quality and has negligible kavalactone% compared to the stuff we get from our vendors. Have you run any tests on those sorts of things?

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Well, I think it rocks. This is an article, I would be rather proud, to show my new to Kava Friends. (y) much Love Roaddog...

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
The article is good and bookmark worthy. It's not harsh at all. It's truth. People say they've tried kava but haven't actually tried real kava.