What's new

New here

Saoirse

Kava Curious
Just wanted to say "Hey y'all!" and introduce myself... My name is Terri and although I am new to the forum, I am not new to Kava.. I wlll admit that I did not realize there were sooo many products out there with this wonderful herb in it and I am excited to have found this place!

I have been smoking for 31 years... My husband wanted to quit smoking so we started vaping several years ago, when e-cigs were new.. He had actually learned about them before they were available in convenience stores and gas stations! I deal with severe anxiety/depression and always smoked more if I was going into one of my spirals but never understood why... After 6 months of vaping, my anxiety/depression had gotten so bad that I was thinking REALLY bad thoughts and I knew it was not normal, nor were they how I truly felt... I started smoking again and my moods stabilized a bit... A year or so later, I started vaping again but quickly went back to smoking when the feelings returned... I knew there had to be SOMETHING in cigarettes that I simply was not getting with vaping and started doing research.. I found Kava Kava!! OMG, it's WONDERFUL!!! I have only done capsules and because of the "risks", I only take it when absolutely necessary (when I'm crying and digging my fingers and toes into everything I touch!)...

My husband and I have gone back to vaping.. I absolutely refuse to put my analogs down completely until I can find a way to keep my moods stabilized continuously... I smoked a total of 5 analogs yesterday and vaped the rest of the time... I've been up roughly 4 1/5 hours today and have not had an analog yet and I can already feel the anxiety building... I absolutely HATE this feeling but I am trying to "be good".. I found the reviews on "Noble Cloud" and am intrigued! I am specifically interested in the Regal Ava simply for the flavor profile... I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see more options to flavors.. I am a menthol junkie but I like other flavors too and having a choice would be awesome!! Although I have found a few other suppliers of Kava e juice out there, there aren't any reviews to go on and I know Kava is not something to play around with, hence the reason I only take when necessary!

I am so thankful to have a husband who is sympathetic and sees why I have not quit analogs yet.. He is willing to get me anything I need to keep my emotions at bay but again, because of safety issues I've read about Kava, I'm nervous.. I really do like my liver the way it is.. LOL ANY guidance, especially with e liquid would be greatly appreciated!

Saoirse )O(

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Welcome! Glad to have you with us :)

My wife is the exact same way. She vapes, but during difficult times she's outside smoking. I figure if vaping can remove any cigarettes she smokes then it's a win.

With the safety issues surrounding kava, most of them are either outright rumors, or faulty studies done on products that only resemble kava. Extract products, and pills have been the culprit. When kava pill producers got greedy, they started using unfit portions of the kava plant to make extractions. They caused some pretty bad damage to kava's reputation, which we're still working to undo.

Saoirse

Kava Curious
Thanks Kapm.. I understand there is a lot of "false info" out there about Kava, as with any other product but I also believe that anything we put into our bodies in mass quantities could cause harm.. Kava is no different.. Everything in moderation (unless it's chocolate or coffee LOL).. How do I sort through the BS to find the truth? How do I find "safe" vs "unsafe" when there are so many options? I did find one company that supplies Kava e juice for $6.95... ok, this is definitely NOT the product i am looking for because I don't feel that the price shows concern for how the product is processed and has been evaluated for safety but there are other companies out there who have a similar product but the price is as high as $50... I know this does not necessarily mean the product is any safer than the $6.95 bottle nor does it mean it's better quality.. It's easy to put a price on something and they could just be selling e juice, with just a minute amount of Kava in it and jacking the price up... This is where I need help.. I really would like to get e juice that is not only safe to vape throughout the day occasionally but will also give me that calming effect... I don't want to feel like jello or "high"... The capsules I've taken would usually kick in around 30 min after taking them and I could feel the warm calming effect.. My mind is clearer and the "bad thoughts" go away for the most part... It wasn't perfect but it was far better than I was before I took it.. That's what I am looking for..

Saoirse )O(

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
If you're looking for kava eliquid, I'd definitely suggest noble clouds. Having met with the owners of the company, I can say that they are very invested in the quality of their product.

The questionable products that caused the famous liver scare were actually pills. The absolute safest way to consume kava is by making it traditionally by using a strainer bag while messaging it in a bowl of water. I've been drinking kava this way daily for almost a decade now.

Saoirse

Kava Curious
The capsules I had gotten were by Natrol.. Of course, when I first learned of Kava, there was ONLY warnings on consumption effecting the liver and thought this was the best option at the time... It took me over a year to go through a single bottle of 30 capsules because I didn't want to take it too often... I am definitely weighing heavily on Noble Clouds because of the information I have found on here but still skeptic...

Saoirse )O(

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
If you buy another bottle of kava pills, check out Gaia Herbs Phytocaps. Very popular and can be found in most whole foods stores. They use certifiable noble (noble means kavas that have traditionally been consumed over the millennia, and have very few if any real negative side effects).

Also, if it makes you feel better, Kavaforums.com is a collection of kava lovers that is 100% run, managed, and maintained by volunteers. We take no "gifts" for suggesting any type of kava from any vendor. All you'll find here are people who love the root, and want you to love it too! :happy:

In short, this website is a labor of love to spread the good word of kava. There are far too many people out there experiencing unnecessary anxiety and depression that could be helped by kava. Kavaforums is here so we can connect with other kava lovers, and the science behind fantastic kava :)

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
Noble clouds is great stuff. It won't be the same as traditionally made kava but that's a given. For what it is though it's fantastic. If that's what gets you back on track as well as into the kava world then by all means.

I also drink kava to help with anxiety related issues. Haven't had a major attack in a little over 3 years now.

Give noble clouds a shot...then get some good root and a fijian strainer bag. ::aintthatnicez::

Welcome to the tribe.

Last edited:

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I strongly encourage you to give the traditional root a try. I haven't tried the vaping stuff, but in my experience all the various pills, extracts and stuff really only scratch the surface of the kava experience. Pick up a sample pack (http://gourmethawaiiankava.com/5.html off the top of my head) and try it out.

D

Deleted User01

@Saoirse, welcome to the Forum! ::awesomesmiles:: There are people on this forum who have been doing kava for 10s of years with no liver problems. Amongst those are kava scientists in the Islands, Hawaii, and the States. The Islanders have been doing kava for 3000 years with no ill effect. The secret is to follow the rules and you will find us posting them almost every day. You absolutely need to give up smoking! I'm in my 60s and I'm getting tired of seeing people my age wearing oxygen tanks before they succumb to a slow and painful death. That included my mother. I hope Kava can help you taper off. Good luck and welcome.

Saoirse

Kava Curious
Noble clouds is great stuff. It won't be the same as traditionally made kava but that's a given. For what it is though it's fantastic. If that's what gets you back on track as well as into the kava world then by all means.

I also drink kava to help with anxiety related issues. Haven't had a major attack in a little over 3 years now.
Give noble clouds a shot...then get some good root and a fijian strainer bag. ::aintthatnicez::

Welcome to the tribe.
Thank you! 3 years?!?! Wow! I can't say that I've even gone 3 months! LOL

I strongly encourage you to give the traditional root a try. I haven't tried the vaping stuff, but in my experience all the various pills, extracts and stuff really only scratch the surface of the kava experience. Pick up a sample pack (http://gourmethawaiiankava.com/5.html off the top of my head) and try it out.
The sample pack will have to wait a bit.. Even the cheapest is a bit out of my spending right now but without a pack a day habit, it should be possible very soon!

@Saoirse, welcome to the Forum! ::awesomesmiles:: There are people on this forum who have been doing kava for 10s of years with no liver problems. Amongst those are kava scientists in the Islands, Hawaii, and the States. The Islanders have been doing kava for 3000 years with no ill effect. The secret is to follow the rules and you will find us posting them almost every day. You absolutely need to give up smoking! I'm in my 60s and I'm getting tired of seeing people my age wearing oxygen tanks before they succumb to a slow and painful death. That included my mother. I hope Kava can help you taper off. Good luck and welcome.
Thank you for the welcome! I think the facts about Kava were most confusing when compared to "studies" that I read over and over... Of course, I tend to err on the side of safety and since I have not been "raised" on this herb, I figured maybe it was something that could be harmful.. Again, all things in moderation and so I only took it when I didn't have any choice... I would honestly love to not have the emotional roller coaster I am so used to... Simply breathing makes me cry on a daily basis but I've learned to fight and deal with it.. As for needing to quit analogs, if I could keep my moods stable without worrying if I would be crying 5 minutes later, it would not be an issue... I do have an "oral fixation" I guess and the e-cig takes care of that... Now I just have to figure out the other part of my problem.. Anxiety and depression!

Saoirse )O(

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
@Saoirse The nice thing about kava is that, in general, the longer you drink it the less you can get by on. YMMV.

2 tbsp can see me through 1-1.5 weeks maybe 2.I am the "notorious light weight" for a reason though. But having said that it is possible to get by on pretty small amounts of kava after sticking with it for a while. It's not an overnight change. Getting to that point is the thing.

blindy107

Kava Lover
Welcome @Saoirse !!

I will second the kapm and recommend Gaia Herbs phytocaps for easy relief. They actually seem to care about safety and they DO work. I use them from time to time when in a pinch. Amazon is the best place to buy them. 20$ for 60caps. That's about a week supply for me. Whole foods and the like charge upwards of 32$ for identical product.

I will also steer you towards trying traditional prep or at the very least, micronized Noble. All the pills in the world are nothing compared to real root. Micro can get pricey though.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Yes, be wary of health food stores, pharmacies, and non kava specialty vendors. There are a lot of kava products that are just totally inert.

verticity

I'm interested in things
My husband and I have gone back to vaping.. I absolutely refuse to put my analogs down completely until I can find a way to keep my moods stabilized continuously... I smoked a total of 5 analogs yesterday and vaped the rest of the time... I've been up roughly 4 1/5 hours today and have not had an analog yet and I can already feel the anxiety building... I absolutely HATE this feeling but I am trying to "be good"..
For me, I had great results using the patch to quit smoking. (The only problem was I was then addicted to the patch for several years lol) It's more old fashioned than vaping, I guess, but the advantage is that it gives you a constant nicotine level at all times, which helps prevent mood swings.

Saoirse

Kava Curious
@Saoirse The nice thing about kava is that, in general, the longer you drink it the less you can get by on. YMMV.

2 tbsp can see me through 1-1.5 weeks maybe 2.I am the "notorious light weight" for a reason though. But having said that it is possible to get by on pretty small amounts of kava after sticking with it for a while. It's not an overnight change. Getting to that point is the thing.
That's why I was looking into the e juice.. I've already proven that when taken "as needed", it does make a significant difference.. If the Natrol Kava Kava capsules are not the most effective but Noble Cloud's juice works similarly, or possibly better just using it a few times throughout the day, I will be a happy camper!

Saoirse )O(

Saoirse

Kava Curious
Welcome @Saoirse !!

I will second the kapm and recommend Gaia Herbs phytocaps for easy relief. They actually seem to care about safety and they DO work. I use them from time to time when in a pinch. Amazon is the best place to buy them. 20$ for 60caps. That's about a week supply for me. Whole foods and the like charge upwards of 32$ for identical product.

I will also steer you towards trying traditional prep or at the very least, micronized Noble. All the pills in the world are nothing compared to real root. Micro can get pricey though.
Will definitely look into the phytocaps... Wow! 60 lasts only 2 weeks for you? And here I was under the impression that I was going to shut my liver down if I took 1 daily! I have a LOT to learn! LOL

Saoirse )O(

Saoirse

Kava Curious
For me, I had great results using the patch to quit smoking. (The only problem was I was then addicted to the patch for several years lol) It's more old fashioned than vaping, I guess, but the advantage is that it gives you a constant nicotine level at all times, which helps prevent mood swings.
The nicotine honestly is not the problem... In the 3 separate times I've tried vaping over the last 5 years, I've done everything from 24mg all the way down to 0 nic... It never made a difference, my moods were still way off... When I started doing research, i found Beta Carbaline to be the culprit as it is a natural mood enhancer that is found in tobacco.. Unfortunately, when e juice is created, this component is removed through the process.. This was how i found out about Kava because I've dealt with anxiety/depression for most of my life and have never been on medication for it.. I wanted a natural alternative but I knew St John's Wart had no effect on me, no matter how long I took it.. I knew there had to be something better and more effective but after reading the "studies" that were out then, I was extremely cautious but it really did work, when I took it..

Saoirse )O(

Saoirse

Kava Curious
The dose they suggest does nothing for me @Saoirse. That's why I take triple. **
I am not a doc nor can I comment on the safety of doing so**
Completely understand! The bottle even said to take 2x/day but not to exceed 2 capsules in 24 hours... Of course, all of the "studies" that I read said, (paraphrasing here) "This product is generally safe. Take as recommended but regular consumption will destroy your liver!" LOL

Saoirse )O(

blindy107

Kava Lover
Regular consumption of noble root traditional prepared has not been linked to health issues of that magnitude...to my knowledge. Most of us here get yearly blood panels high reflect this as well.

Can't be sure with pills and extracts (most) but the testing continues!