What's new

New Member / Kava Newbie

Alien

Kava Newbie
I found a happier alien avatar for use here. The other one was so gloomy. Numbing effects are still gone but definitely present.

D

Deleted User01

As your Mixologist, I am very interested in any supplements that we might add to the Kava Smoothies and drinks. Feel free to make recommendations but we also need to know the pros and cons of taking them.

Alien

Kava Newbie
Hope everyone's having as fantastic a Friday as I am. Let's just say I'm feeling a little mellow, mellow (Melo Melo). 6 heaping teaspoons with a new strainer that isn't quite as tight. It's made for jams and I got it off Amazon. Wound up with about 16oz of drink and I drank it all in 3 sessions about 10 minutes apart and feeling great!

My empty stomach feeling is complete gone and I'm not even hungry anymore. I have all kinds of energy it's ridiculous. This should be called Turbo Turbo. I'm goofy as all hell right now but in a good way. :wacky:

Alien

Kava Newbie
That was definitely my first time getting krunked. If I had to do it over again, I would have skipped out on the last 4oz of drink!

I am pretty close back to baseline but wow, the last 4 hours were crazy. I went out with my sister who's in town because she wanted to go to some stores. I wasn't in any shape to drive so she had to. I was in a good mood and had lots of energy at first but that energy went away and turned into the opposite. I was yawning quite often and all my muscles were extremely relaxed. I had to consciously think about my steps when walking and focus on my balance. Anxiety was gone except for the fact that I sort of wanted to just come home and take a nap on the couch in front of the tv the whole time and I never take naps.

It's cloudy here in Oklahoma but everything seemed so bright and I was annoyed I had no sunglasses in my sister's car. We wound up at several places and I couldn't shake the feeling of exhaustion. Eventually, after three hours, I got home and laid down in front of the tv and took a real quick nap, maybe 15 minutes. That was about an hour ago. My dog crawled up on my lap and woke me up out of it so I decided to get up and finish installing a new printer I had delivered today. I now feel 90% normal, just as I had before I drank the Melo Melo.

I think the new strainer I used that allows for some sediment to get through, along with being more patient throughout the kneading process, played a big part. Wondering how similar the Boroguru will be to the Melo Melo. I will revisit the review threads now. :woot:

infraredz

BULA!
Glad to hear it worked out for you, and kudos on making the choice not to drive. That's just one of the many reasons why kava is safer than alcohol (drunk people would go "ahhh fuckkk it im okay).

Also, you'll experience that photosensitivity with pretty much all kava. I don't notice any mydriasis with kava, but light is definitely brighter and more "bothersome" after drinking kava. That's one of the reasons I usually only drink kava at night. That, and the wanting to sleep like you said...

Boroguru will be much "heavier" like you described and it quite sedating compared to a more balanced and heady kind of feeling with Melo Melo.
For whatever it's worth, I would say they are similar in potency so use the same amount that you used with the Melo.

KavaLot

Kava Enthusiast
Ordered some Boroguru, Nambawan, and Koniak today from BKH based on all the great comments...so thanks everyone. I'm looking forward to trying all this goodness. Unbelievable how much it's costing to ship to Canada......$34 bucks US....Ouch! Must be the tariffs....so much for free trade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

violet

Do all things with love

These are some pictures of the Tide laundry bag I used to strain my kava. Again, it worked amazingly well and allowed zero sediment to get through. It's rather large and got stained from my Solomon kava but it works very well. I got it at Walmart for something like $5-7.
OK folks, this is the bag to be using if you like a clean grog. It was a little cheaper here, $3-something. I've made 2 runs with this bag and it's super. I really got my squeeze on and didn't hear any fibers straining to rip in the process, this is what elevates it above all others for me. It strains super-fine. The only thing that got through was the micro-fine silt and only the tiniest of sand particles... about the same, maybe less stuff than my chiffon strainer, and definitely less than the Fijian strainer I'd had before. I have the feeling it's going to hold up for a while, even if it is if only due to the virtue of having more surface area (but I think the integrity of the fabric is better too). My brew is as potent as always. What a great find, @Alien. Thank you again for sharing!

Last edited:

Alien

Kava Newbie
OK kids, this is the bag to be using if you like a clean grog. It was a little cheaper here, $3-something. I've made 2 runs with this bag and it's super. I really got my squeeze on and didn't hear any fibers straining to rip in the process, this is what elevates it above all others for me. It strains super-fine. The only thing that got through was the micro-fine silt and only the tiniest of sand particles... about the same, maybe less stuff than my chiffon strainer, and definitely less than the Fijian strainer I'd had before. I have the feeling it's going to hold up for a while, even if it is if only due to the virtue of having more surface area (but I think the integrity of the fabric is better too). My brew is as potent as always. What a great find, @Alien. Thank you again for sharing!
Awesome! Glad to hear! Happy to be a newbie who can add something of value to the community so soon after joining! Can I be the resident strainer expert? (Kidding, of course)

I just downed ~14 ounces of some Boroguru and feeling very fine! :woot:

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
....I've made 2 runs with this bag and it's super......
A laundry bag doesn't sound quite as eloquent as a hand sewn Chiffon bag to me. But hey, if you say it works, then I'm all in.
Thanks for sharing your results and thanks to @Alien for the cool find.

CanAwa

1 kava 2 kava 3 kava COUCH
You mu
Ordered some Boroguru, Nambawan, and Koniak today from BKH based on all the great comments...so thanks everyone. I'm looking forward to trying all this goodness. Unbelievable how much it's costing to ship to Canada......$34 bucks US....Ouch! Must be the tariffs....so much for free trade.

must have ordered a lot !! I thought it was 20 flat rate shipping

KavaLot

Kava Enthusiast
Hi Kavanewb, I ordered a pound of each, so three pounds didn't seem too much but maybe it is?

CanAwa

I've only ever ordered a kilo from bkh and shipping was 20 to Canada ..I recently ordered half pounds of nambawan .boroguru ..and I got a tin of I instant ..@SirKavaLot maybe we can coordinate sampling days on the boroguru and nambawan and compare experiences !!

KavaLot

Kava Enthusiast
Sounds like a great idea Kavanewb. I drink pretty much everyday starting at about 4:00 pm Atlantic Standard Time. I usually take a break at about 6:00 pm and back at it around 8:00 pm. A little earlier on weekends depending what I have on the go :)

CanAwa

I don't get home till 4 eastern standard ..have to work out the time difference haha may be a bit tricky

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
These are some pictures of the Tide laundry bag I used to strain my kava. Again, it worked amazingly well and allowed zero sediment to get through. It's rather large and got stained from my Solomon kava but it works very well. I got it at Walmart for something like $5-7.
Hey @Alien, I'm trying to find one of these to try out. Are there different sizes? I found one that says "High Performance" and another that says "High Performance Large Capacity". Do you know what your bag dimensions are? Thanks.

CanAwa

Sounds like a great idea Kavanewb. I drink pretty much everyday starting at about 4:00 pm Atlantic Standard Time. I usually take a break at about 6:00 pm and back at it around 8:00 pm. A little earlier on weekends depending what I have on the go :)

Guess what came in the mail !!! Finally !! I needed a quick fix tho and hit the instant ..I have to say it is really good !! I'll have to try a few others to compare it to . Anyhow maybe sometime next week we will have a nambawan showdown and see how it works out for us