What's new

New to Kava - Questions - Paradise brand?

T

Tasha R.

@Tasha R. Your Hubby is one of those huh...

*rolls up my sleeves*

There are prep methods and cultivars out there that have the potential to totally floor him. The only issues is it may induce a speedy emptying of his stomach content if it's too strong and he's not accustomed to it.
I wouldn't mind wiping the smirk off his face one good time. Hehehe. I know, I know it's not the POINT of Kava. Perhaps I will take it easy on him after all. I would hate for him to actually have an aversion to it. He's pretty much going to drink it with me anyways. Until he loves it! :D Then I'll probably get him to be my kava prep guy. Although I don't mind getting my hands dirty. But he married me, he knew what he was getting into. I'm the type where I want YOU to love what I love darling. Ha. I can be slightly annnnoooyyyinnnng.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
@Tasha R.

Annoying? I see nothing annoying here.

*Inspects ring finger*...
Nope...everything is as it should be.

*whisper* remember...keep'm under the thumb....under the thumb. :LOL:

A

Adam

Cant wait for my next lot of kava to get here, feels like its taking forever. I'll just keeping checking in here in the meantime to keep up the anticipation

Roaddog

Kava Who?
That's a great idea to spread it out like that. Okay, I will get the amazon kava too. And yes, you caught me being an amazon snob even though I'm a prime member and use it all the time ha!!! Shame on me.
Prime member? that means you get it in 2 days. :sneaky: Well I think you should order one bag, and see what you think. Try all the different kavas you can. That way, you will know what works, and what dose not for your specific needs. Also Its always good to support our venders on here. You might even try the Kava Candy, @HeadHodge , says its great. Good luck, and enjoy your trip through the kava life. Much love. Roaddog....

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hi Tasha R, welcome to the forums, if you want I will send you a sample pack of my kava for free, I do not do this very often but I will do it for you. I can send you a sample of the Medium, micronized and the instant if you want. Or id you have any ideas of what you want from me I can send some samples of what you want.
Let me know if you have any questions, aloha.

Chris
Gourmet Hawaiian Kava.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Well don't try to get your Turkey to fill that position. As we all know. Its tough to teach a turkey to make Kava. But I'm still working on it. You all are going to flip, when I get it on video. Much love. Roaddog....
Turkeys don't have a long lifespan around me

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
Welcome to the forums.

Haven't tried Paradise kava yet, but I've heard good things about their products. My recommendation would be Stone from Nakamal at Home or Boroguru, if available, from Gourmet Hawaiian Kava.

Monkava'd

A spoonful of sugar makes the Awa' go down.
@Tasha R. Pretty much any kava from a vendor here will be "the good stuff". But Paradise Kava is among the the very best you can get.

Welcome to the forums. *leg hug* ::awesomesmiles::
Hahaha, this was hilarious to me for some reason (y) :LOL:.
10393549_10152500321731800_4845910030768894389_n.jpg

So anyways, welcome to the forums @Tasha R.
I normally prefer to give kava newbs :p;) a chance to adjust becore bombarding them with info but I think I can explain the "color coding" rather simply but still detailed if that makes any sense. (y)

First off the color coding has to do with a test that we're familiar with at the forums called an acetone tudei test; acetone because this is what is needed to determine whether or not a kava is "noble" or "tudei". Tudei is simply another name for a type of cultivar (plant propagated by cuttings or stems rather than by seed) of kava and is *related* to a native kava in vanuatu called Wichimanni or wild kava.

Here's the difference, wild kava when tested through use of acetone turns the acetone a tusty brown color proving that it's truly unsuitable for drinking and will likely cause effects ranging from: Prolonged duration of up-to 2 days+ not including after effects. The side effects of a wild kava range from moderate to excessive and a truly wild kava is known to cause bloodshot eyes, exceptional dermopathy rash (crocodile like sand paper skin) which's severe enough to crack, bleed and burn like a prevalent psoriasis, diarrhea, lethargy, headache etc... you get the picture and it's not a pretty one. This cultivar is not distributed outside of vanuatu due to legal issues (within vanuatu it may be rarely used in ritualistic ceremonies whereas tudei is used slightly more often)....on the other hand tudei *is* and in some cases is adulterated into a noble variety to add some kick to a kava they fear may not be as profitable otherwise (still illegal per Vanuatu law to export tudei but sadly remains un-enforced). Tudei have relatively similar effects minus the bloodshot eyes (I can't be sure of this) and are of a lesser severity but are none the less nothing to take lightly.

Here's what's of the most pertinence...we have results to represent the growing documentation of evidence comparing and contrasting nobility of kava and in opposition tudei or tudei adulteration (again adding tudei kava or "two day" to a noble (safe) kava in order to increase potency) but it's not 100% conclusive; because of careful measures in place to prevent confusion, but i'd be hard pressed to even think about writing off the developments. :)

Anyways I'll withhold my banter and present you some threads and images so you may be able to make a conscientious decision of whether or not the tudei is how you want to spend your day.:LOL: Also I'm not implying your ignorant or that you shouldn't do so if that's what you wish to do because it's your body and not mine; I think everyone should have the choice of making an 'informed' decision based on facts of a matter.::amirite::

Without further adieu the info. :wideyed:

http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/the-safety-of-kava-how-to-test-yours.2576/
This is the entire first thread and it's a great starting point for anyone interested in employing this test for themselves....credit given to Infraredz for the thread and Headhodge(?) for the compilation of all the info into the kavapedia. Multitudinous questions are brought up and than answered within the thread so I'll not address them here because it's such a massive amount of data in and of itself. Though I have no problem posting the pictures. ;)

Btw for the most part the results in these pictures I'm about to post should be taken with a grain of salt. It's not that they're wrong but because of the member Harpos far more specific spectroscopy results he has developed.
downloadfile-2.jpeg

Nakamal@homes Solomon Island on the left.
downloadfile-3.jpeg
Bula kava house Boroguru on the left and the same vendors Koniak on the right.
These are the results of infraredz testing.

Koniak is dark orange to slightly brown showing an interesting "correlation". The boroguru is clear-er but maintains a rather dark orange in contrast to the Solomon Island kava. What we've all come to realize though is that the eye is easily deceived. It'll be obvious just what I mean when I present Harpos much more exacting tests.

downloadfile-4.jpeg

Kapms results.
Hawaiian kava center Isa on the left and Bula kava house Borogu on the right.
*Keep in mind that a pure isa contrasted to an adulteration (not saying that the Borogu is adulterated, it's just a tip) or a cultivar which exhibits tudei properties can appear rather drastic*

Violets results won't post atm...sorry @violet :unsure:(n)

downloadfile-6.jpeg

Three different noble Hawaiian kava varieties from Gourmet Hawaiian kava.
downloadfile-7.jpeg

A sample of Hawaiian isa...very rusty dark orange/brown color indicates it's an isa in Hawaii or called tudei in Vanuatu; I suppose it's same difference.

I must apologize to mr.skunk or @Roaddog.
Your results won't post for w/e reason either. As of late I'm also unable to post any gifs whether or not they're under the 3.3mb limit.::confused2::

Onto the nexthttp://kavaforums.com/forum/wiki/kavapedia-bridge/?{Action}={FetchPageContent}&{Title}={The Current Vanuatu kava situation - Drinking Noble isn't as easy as we thought...}&{Author}={Deleted User}&{Date}={Aug 13, 2014}&{Location}={http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/the-current-vanuatu-kava-situation-drinking-noble-isnt-as-easy-as-we-thought.3189/}

This link also happens to explain itself rather easily but pictures speak thousands of words and It shouldn't hurt to contribute more.
Here'shttp://kavaforums.com/forum/wiki/kavapedia-bridge/?{Action}={FetchPageContent}&{Title}={More%20pictures%20of%20Simple%20Test%20for%20Checking%20if%20your%20Kava%20is%20Tudei}&{Author}={Gourmet%20Hawaiian%20Kava}&{Date}={May%2030,%202014}&{Location}={http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/more-pictures-of-simple-test-for-checking-if-your-kava-is-tudei.2616/} another great thread that Chris from GHK created. And the pics:
solventkavatest011-1.jpg

7 different kavas and apparently the first 3 are confirmed noble by Chris.
solventkavatest016.jpg

I'll go ahead and directly quote this one.
"The next picture is 4 different samples next to each other, starting on the left the first is pure noble, 2nd is 1/8 isa to 7/8, 3rd is 1/4 isa to 3/4, the 4th is 100% isa."
solventkavatest004-1.jpg

3 different noble kavas.
solventkavatest005-1.jpg

Ratio for the jar dead center is 1/8 isa to 7/8th noble.
solventkavatest008-1.jpg

1/4th isa & 3/4 noble to the left...50/50 to the right.
solventkavatest009-1.jpg

100% isa, notice the blatant orange color...this's supposedly attributed to an orange molecule only present in tudei/isa kava and it's yet to be identified as to its origins or why only tudei/isa contains this molecule.
solventteststalksleaves008.jpg

This's derived from the stalks of the kava plant...and though any areal portions of a kava plant have been found to contain the toxic piper methystin or however it's pronounced; the stalks are absent of the strange orange color.
solventteststalksleaves011.jpg

From the leaves- It's quite obvious that the acetone's saturated with chlorophyll but nothing amiss as far as this test was concerned.
solventteststalksleaves005.jpg

Co2 extract made with purely noble kava. It's definitely a nice golden color but I can't help but take notice of the green tinge. This might just be a trick of the camera and as I said before our eyes can play games with us; this goes for the camera as well.

That concludes that wonderful kavapedia listing and all credit goes to Chris for his marvelous effort.::star::
Nexthttp://kavaforums.com/forum/wiki/kavapedia-bridge/?{Action}={FetchPageContent}&{Title}={Revised Kava Test Results}&{Author}={Deleted User}&{Date}={Aug 14, 2014}&{Location}={http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/revised-kava-test-results.3195/}
These nifty little charts I'm about to post are courtesy of Harpos work and I hope others will come to understand the brevity of his determination.
report2-1.jpg

The numbers mean nothing to a layman without accurate comparisons...which are built into the chart.
reportfilters.jpg

Here's the color coding which has'd many people baffled but I'm attempting to explain bit by bit how it all pieces together.
report2color.jpg

The updated chart.
downloadfile-10.jpeg

Obiwans results.
"From left to right these are the Kavas:

1 Tongan Pride (KbR), bought May 2013
2 Fu'u from BKH, bought May 2014
3 Nambawan from US ebay seller shamanstools, bought 12/2013
4 Stone from nakamal@home, bought 10/2013
5 Borogu from BKH, bought May 2014
6 Vanuatu Isa/Tudei Speciality from KbR , bought 08/2013
7 Tanna Marang-Marang from GKE , bought February 2014"
All credit goes to Obiwan.
11yearwaka-1.jpg

11 year waka tested by Deleted User.
It seems proper to refrain from posting the actual results from the "latest test results" thread by Deleted User chiefly because you'd need to read the whole thread in detail to understand the pictures hahaha. That's not essentially a bad thing but it can certainly be a brain bender without taking everything bit by bit.::squeakyclean:::p:LOL:::amirite::
Here'shttp://kavaforums.com/forum/wiki/kavapedia-bridge/?{Action}={FetchPageContent}&{Title}={Latest%20Test%20Results...}&{Author}={Deleted User}&{Date}={Tuesday%20at%202:00%20PM}&{Location}={http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/latest-test-results.3335/} the latest test results from Deleted User.

Congratulations, you've arrived at the end of my gargantuan post and I'll be ecstatic if anyone found use for any of it and didn't dislike that it's sort of a massive echo of all the results up till now.

My original intention was to give you a helping hand Tasha but it's evolved into a 1 stop quick shop for anyone that finds sifting though the forums difficult.::awesomesmiles::

Most importantly, however kava's involved in your life, remember the culture, smile and have fun on the forums. We're a little quirky at times but luckily that's reserved for a insert title here Friday. ::happyshell::::kavaleaf::

Enjoy the rest of your weekend; tomorrow is my special grog preparation day and I'm gonna try to make the most of it.::yay2::

@HeadHodge You of course don't have to but if it's not a big deal can you fix my embedded links so they appear correctly?::confused2:: I'm not sure what I did wrong but If I need to I'll fix them later.(y)

Last edited:
T

Tasha R.

Hi Tasha R, welcome to the forums, if you want I will send you a sample pack of my kava for free, I do not do this very often but I will do it for you. I can send you a sample of the Medium, micronized and the instant if you want. Or id you have any ideas of what you want from me I can send some samples of what you want.
Let me know if you have any questions, aloha.

Chris
Gourmet Hawaiian Kava.

YES YES YES, I would appreciate that. :)

T

Tasha R.

Prime member? that means you get it in 2 days. :sneaky: Well I think you should order one bag, and see what you think. Try all the different kavas you can. That way, you will know what works, and what dose not for your specific needs. Also Its always good to support our venders on here. You might even try the Kava Candy, @HeadHodge , says its great. Good luck, and enjoy your trip through the kava life. Much love. Roaddog....
I think I should too. :D

Roaddog

Kava Who?
@Monkava'd Thank you for that VERY thorough comment. Unfortunately, the part of my brain that processes numbers was not activated after birth, but I understood the colors!! :D
As you will find, we all have a certain sence of style, as members of the Kava forums. I usualy go for funny, effective, and compassionate. That's the style I wish to portray here. Now as you get more into it, as I hope you do, you will find your own style. Its also good to have more women folk on here. My wife is also a member, but she is not as active as I am. Now lets get to @Monkava'd , He has a style unto its own. Very creative. He loves to make these comic book posts that will make you cry with laughter. Also he will make these big science based posts, like the one posted here. He is such a valuable asset to this community, even if he is from Texas. I better shut up, there is also a few other of my friends from Texas on here. But they all know I'm pocking fun. Anyway Monkava'd basically laid out the rhyme, and reason, for us testing the safety of our Kava. He did a very good job of it I might add. Much love. Roaddog....

T

Tasha R.

@Roaddog I am happy to have found this place! I'm sure I'll be on here often. I'm sure I will post a good bit.

I have a separete question - I got a french press tea maker, it's only like an 11 ounce. It's so darn cute!! But after getting it specifically for the kava, I slightly doubt it's ability to work like I was imagining. Any ways anyone can think of to make it work??? It's this one here: Amazon product

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Tasha, it won't work because kavalactones aren't water soluble, they need to have pressure applied repeatedly to get them to emulsify into the water. Also, kava grinds are all over the place and it'll likely clog up immediately. I tried it very early on in my kava career.

T

Tasha R.

Tasha, it won't work because kavalactones aren't water soluble, they need to have pressure applied repeatedly to get them to emulsify into the water. Also, kava grinds are all over the place and it'll likely clog up immediately. I tried it very early on in my kava career.
ahh, that sucks. I honestly have never used a french press. I couldn't put it in a kava strainer at the bottom and use the press to, well, press it repeatedly?

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
No, you wouldn't be able to press it down all the way like that and apply significant pressure.

If you don't like the idea of straining, you can blend it or put it in a ziploc bag, seal it and use a rolling pin.