What's new

New to Kava suffering from anxiety and depression

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickavalas Turtle

Kava Curious
Hello All

I’m new to Kava. I recently began using Kava because I was struggling with my anxiety & depression. My wife felt like I had reached a point where I was self destructing in all aspects of my life.

I am currently consuming an entire KwK 8oz micro every 2 weeks. I have also just started taking Dr prescribed Lexapro and speaking to a Therapist. I feel the need to disclose that I have addiction issues although I have not been using any substances for a while.

I’ve been impressed with the community in this forum. I’m hoping by reaching out that I can find someone with similar life experiences to help guide me down the Kava path. I’d like to get recommendations on products, methods and usage.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I and many of the people here struggle(d) with depression and anxiety, so you're not alone here. Do you find the kava is helping you much?

As far as methods I always go for traditional prep instead of micro. It's easier on the stomach and has more of a kick to it IMO.

Kava does interact with liver enzymes that break down many pharmaceutical substances so you might want to check with your doctor about the combo, and definitely research interactions.

Alfred

Kava Curious
In the same boat my friend and also new to kava. Do a search on this forum as well as others with much more experience than me will hopefully chime in. I also suffer from anxiety depression and panic disorder that has recently resurfaced after a 13 year absence. I also have addiction issues mostly alcohol and have not had a drink in 13 years. I am currently on low dose of celexa 10mg and had 8oz of kWK Borongu with 3 tablespoons of root extract prepared the traditional way the last three nights with no issues. It definitely had a calming effect as well as a more positive mood. But that being said I only started the celexa a few days ago so Its not fully in my system yet from what understand (takes a couple weeks?? ) The research on kava and antidepressants is confusing but I haven't found anything that is terribly alarming. I am new to this forum so I am sure others will chime in. All the best with your anxiety and depression and please know that you are not alone.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

Nickavalas Turtle

Kava Curious
Thanks for the advice guys. I’ve now gotten the same response from 3 members about going more the traditional preparation route and also ditching the micro.

I plan to speak to the quack about mixing the Kava and Lexapro when I meet with him next week.

Is there a specific strain that you guys recommend to help push me through the fog that I’m in? Currently taking KwK Tonga Pouni Ono

Alfred

Kava Curious
Thanks for the advice guys. I’ve now gotten the same response from 3 members about going more the traditional preparation route and also ditching the micro.

I plan to speak to the quack about mixing the Kava and Lexapro when I meet with him next week.

Is there a specific strain that you guys recommend to help push me through the fog that I’m in? Currently taking KwK Tonga Pouni Ono
Great. If you dont mind can you post what your doc. Says about kava and the meds I'd be curious to know. Also kapmcrunk a member here posted some good articles about the use of kava and SSRI'S and how it may increase or decrease not sure, the levels of the medication through kavas attaching or breakdown through the CYP3A4 enzyme....double check this cuz I may be wrong. Some stuff I have read says it increases the meds potency thus increasing serotonin levels but article said it was negligible and would only be a concern if patient was on say HBP meds or cholesterol meds etc...but dont quote me on that talk to doc. I plan on speaking to my PCP also. All the best.

Nickavalas Turtle

Kava Curious
So I need to ask because Kava is making me feel semi normal again.

Should I not be drinking micro 4-5 times a day? I am switching over to regular grind this week. Traditional prep.

I haven’t had many Krunk like experiences but I’m also trying to deal with the anxiety that I’ve been struggling with prior to, while at work and then as a release during my long commute to get home to the wife and kids.

I’m well aware of the fact that I shouldn’t have to put myself through this for my job but it’s helping. I do enjoy Kava.

Also can someone give me a good recommendation on brand and
strain? There are so many opinions that it’s become confusing.

Thanks

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hello All

I’m new to Kava. I recently began using Kava because I was struggling with my anxiety & depression. My wife felt like I had reached a point where I was self destructing in all aspects of my life.

I am currently consuming an entire KwK 8oz micro every 2 weeks. I have also just started taking Dr prescribed Lexapro and speaking to a Therapist. I feel the need to disclose that I have addiction issues although I have not been using any substances for a while.

I’ve been impressed with the community in this forum. I’m hoping by reaching out that I can find someone with similar life experiences to help guide me down the Kava path. I’d like to get recommendations on products, methods and usage.
It seems you're getting professional advice, and this is #1 the most important thing you can do in your situation. Covering up the symptoms of the issue only stoke the fire of the true problem. You're on the right path.

A quick way to tell if kava is okay, is to ask your doc if the drugs you'll be taking are alright to take when drinking grapefruit juice. If you're good to go there, you're good to go with kava. Only one that I would say 100% NO to would be to dopaminergic drugs for Parkinson and the like. No interactions have been observed with lexapro.

I suggest an uplifting kava. I'd give mahakea a shot from Gourmet Hawaiian Kava. I don't necessarily drink kava for anti-depressant qualities, so I don't go looking for that, but Mahakea surprised me in its ability to lift your mood.

As to your dose? Kava is one of those things where I'll say "Go as hard as you need to" on. When you first start drinking kava finding that balance is necessary, and part of that process is pushing the the frequency and dose to a level where you feel comfortable. Kava has a knack where it will begin to last longer. Once you've reached the "plateau" the anti-anxiety effects of kava will FAR surpass the known loopy and fun effects. It sticks with you. At this point you'll likely reduce your frequency and/or dose to a more appropriate level.

You're among like minds here. The good majority of us found kava when looking for a solution for generalized anxiety or stressful situations. You'll also find a good chunk of us with past addiction issues as well. Myself included. Kava has helped me get out of the pits of opioid hell more than once. There's something about its activity that stops an opioid craving in its tracks.

Welcome aboard!

Alfred

Kava Curious
Thanks for everyone’s responses. I desperately needed to feel that I wasn’t alone on my path and I couldn’t be happier with the results

Have a great day
Definitely not alone on this path my friend. I just discovered this forum maybe a week ago and already feel better and that there are some really helpful people here. Like Kampcrunk said you have to find the dose and balance that works for you. I started on 3 tablespoons per 12 oz of water and have since found that 4 tablespoons per 12 works best for me and I also suffer from anxiety and have for a couple decades. BtW if I didn't mention it I used KWK borungu traditional root form. New to kava so I will try other strains and post back. Good luck

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
It seems you're getting professional advice, and this is #1 the most important thing you can do in your situation. Covering up the symptoms of the issue only stoke the fire of the true problem. You're on the right path.

A quick way to tell if kava is okay, is to ask your doc if the drugs you'll be taking are alright to take when drinking grapefruit juice. If you're good to go there, you're good to go with kava. Only one that I would say 100% NO to would be to dopaminergic drugs for Parkinson and the like. No interactions have been observed with lexapro.

I suggest an uplifting kava. I'd give mahakea a shot from Gourmet Hawaiian Kava. I don't necessarily drink kava for anti-depressant qualities, so I don't go looking for that, but Mahakea surprised me in its ability to lift your mood.

As to your dose? Kava is one of those things where I'll say "Go as hard as you need to" on. When you first start drinking kava finding that balance is necessary, and part of that process is pushing the the frequency and dose to a level where you feel comfortable. Kava has a knack where it will begin to last longer. Once you've reached the "plateau" the anti-anxiety effects of kava will FAR surpass the known loopy and fun effects. It sticks with you. At this point you'll likely reduce your frequency and/or dose to a more appropriate level.

You're among like minds here. The good majority of us found kava when looking for a solution for generalized anxiety or stressful situations. You'll also find a good chunk of us with past addiction issues as well. Myself included. Kava has helped me get out of the pits of opioid hell more than once. There's something about its activity that stops an opioid craving in its tracks.

Welcome aboard!
First - welcome! I Lao struggle with depression and anxiety. The kava doesn’t necessarily help me with that directly,but othereide makes life more enjoyable anyway!

Kap’m - curious about the grapefruit comment since I started a med early this summer that has such a warning - buspar. Do you know anything about that (and yes, obviously I should check with the doctor)?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Kap’m - curious about the grapefruit comment since I started a med early this summer that has such a warning - buspar. Do you know anything about that (and yes, obviously I should check with the doctor)?
Of course I have to say "I'm not a medical professional" but from what I can see, Buspar has a half-life elimination time of 2-3 hours. If kava has an interaction, it would be increasing the half-life time duration of the buspar. In my non-medical opinion I believe the half-life of buspar, being so short, would limit its ability to interact with kava. If you're unsure, I found this piece of information that speaks to this situation:

"Buspar dose should be taken at least 2 hours before or 8 hours after grapefruit or grapefruit juice. Large amounts of grapefruit and grapefruit juice may cause increased levels of busPIRone in your body. This can lead to increased adverse effects such as drowsiness."

https://www.drugs.com/drug-interact...t possible,adverse effects such as drowsiness.

I would say if it made buspar more sedative you probably wouldn't even notice it from the kava. It's your choice, but it looks like this wouldn't be a huge deal.

Nickavalas Turtle

Kava Curious
Of course I have to say "I'm not a medical professional" but from what I can see, Buspar has a half-life elimination time of 2-3 hours. If kava has an interaction, it would be increasing the half-life time duration of the buspar. In my non-medical opinion I believe the half-life of buspar, being so short, would limit its ability to interact with kava. If you're unsure, I found this piece of information that speaks to this situation:

"Buspar dose should be taken at least 2 hours before or 8 hours after grapefruit or grapefruit juice. Large amounts of grapefruit and grapefruit juice may cause increased levels of busPIRone in your body. This can lead to increased adverse effects such as drowsiness."

https://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/buspirone-with-grapefruit-441-0-2624-0.html#targetText=If this is not possible,adverse effects such as drowsiness.

I would say if it made buspar more sedative you probably wouldn't even notice it from the kava. It's your choice, but it looks like this wouldn't be a huge deal.
Update:

Saw my PCP last night. He is not concerned with my Kava consumption but is also not very knowledgeable about Kava. He was pleased that I have improved but he had one recommendation. To help break me out of my lack of desire for things that I used to love to do and just wanting to lounge and sleep; he recommended getting in 150 minutes of cardio a week. I’m willing to make time for that mostly in the form of yoga and jogging. One question: is there a motivating/energetic kava that you guys recommend ?

Have a great day everyone

So I need to ask because Kava is making me feel semi normal again.

Should I not be drinking micro 4-5 times a day? I am switching over to regular grind this week. Traditional prep.

I haven’t had many Krunk like experiences but I’m also trying to deal with the anxiety that I’ve been struggling with prior to, while at work and then as a release during my long commute to get home to the wife and kids.

I’m well aware of the fact that I shouldn’t have to put myself through this for my job but it’s helping. I do enjoy Kava.

Also can someone give me a good recommendation on brand and
strain? There are so many opinions that it’s become confusing.

Thanks
I started having Kava a few weeks ago after finding myself in a tough spot due to the collision of relationship woes and longstanding mental issues (anxiety and panic). I didn't want to get back on SSRI's because they turn me into a zombie and I had bad withdrawal on it. So I got myself a 1/2 lb of the Kavafied Supreme and I've been having 2 tbsps. once a day a few times a week. I noticed an effect from the first time. It chills me out and silences the obsessive chatter in my head.
That being said, I'm trying really hard not to use it every day. I don't want it to become something I HAVE to take just to get through the week, but something that I can look forward to. I have noticed that there are a lot of folks here that use kava instead of other drugs or in place of alcohol and it seems to me that they are just changing one drug for another. Honestly that really scares me. I don't think it's good to have to take any one substance multiple times a day every day, KWIM. That being said, I can see why that happens. I've only had kava maybe a total of 7 times in the last two weeks and already I have this feeling when I get home that I REALLY WANT to prepare a shell. For me the effect was that strong that I already crave it, and I have never had addiction issues. So just tread lightly. Go slowly, take it on your bad days, and lay off it on your so so days. Learn other coping mechanisms. You want kava to enhance your wellbeing, not be the only source of it. Just my two cents, as someone that knows shit about kava but have experienced panic and anxiety disorder since I was in middle school.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
To help break me out of my lack of desire for things that I used to love to do and just wanting to lounge and sleep; he recommended getting in 150 minutes of cardio a week. I’m willing to make time for that mostly in the form of yoga and jogging. One question: is there a motivating/energetic kava that you guys recommend ?
Kava is generally sedative in nature, some more so and others. If I were to have a cup of kava in the morning to get me through the day, you'll want to drink a balanced or heady kava and don't drink much because the longer-lasting sedative kavalactones will kick in. Sure, you'll feel great but you'll less likely want to get up out of your chair.

Some kavas I recommend in a small quantity during the day to get your spirits up include Nene, Mahakea, and Papa 'Ele 'Ele. These are all Hawaiian cultivars. Some may call Nene heavy but I consider it a very good general-purpose kava. I haven't had any Fijian kavas recently but I've heard great things about any kind of lawena kava. Lawena is where the Fijians grind up only the basal roots which don't have as many kavalactones, but this makes it perfect for day-time consumption since it won't lock your butt to the floor or your seating arrangement of choice. ni-Vanuatu (shorthand "ni-Van") kava tends to be heavy but I hear Borogu is a popular daily drinker so you may have some luck with Borogu during the day. I haven't had pure Borogu personally.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I started having Kava a few weeks ago after finding myself in a tough spot due to the collision of relationship woes and longstanding mental issues (anxiety and panic). I didn't want to get back on SSRI's because they turn me into a zombie and I had bad withdrawal on it. So I got myself a 1/2 lb of the Kavafied Supreme and I've been having 2 tbsps. once a day a few times a week. I noticed an effect from the first time. It chills me out and silences the obsessive chatter in my head.
That being said, I'm trying really hard not to use it every day. I don't want it to become something I HAVE to take just to get through the week, but something that I can look forward to. I have noticed that there are a lot of folks here that use kava instead of other drugs or in place of alcohol and it seems to me that they are just changing one drug for another. Honestly that really scares me. I don't think it's good to have to take any one substance multiple times a day every day, KWIM. That being said, I can see why that happens. I've only had kava maybe a total of 7 times in the last two weeks and already I have this feeling when I get home that I REALLY WANT to prepare a shell. For me the effect was that strong that I already crave it, and I have never had addiction issues. So just tread lightly. Go slowly, take it on your bad days, and lay off it on your so so days. Learn other coping mechanisms. You want kava to enhance your wellbeing, not be the only source of it. Just my two cents, as someone that knows shit about kava but have experienced panic and anxiety disorder since I was in middle school.
Kava like a lot of things can be "habit forming". However, the best part about it is that it is in no way physically addictive. It is habit forming in the same way that running can be habit forming. It feels good to go for a run, and if you really get into it, you miss the days when you don't run. If you are using kava for anxiety - it feels darn good to use it. Outside of dermo and possibly the cost, drinking kava daily is not any where near as destructive to your health or wellbeing as daily use of a lot of other substances.

Nickavalas Turtle

Kava Curious
Update:

Saw my PCP last night. He is not concerned with my Kava consumption but is also not very knowledgeable about Kava. He was pleased that I have improved but he had one recommendation. To help break me out of my lack of desire for things that I used to love to do and just wanting to lounge and sleep; he recommended getting in 150 minutes of cardio a week. I’m willing to make time for that mostly in the form of yoga and jogging. One question: is there a motivating/energetic kava that you guys recommend ?

Have a great day everyone

https://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/buspirone-with-grapefruit-441-0-2624-0.html#targetText=If this is not possible,adverse effects such as drowsiness.

Update 2:

Went to see the Therapist last night. He doesn’t really see the need for us to continue regular sessions. Before I left I wanted to get him to comment on my Kava use. He was all for it as it seems to be helping.

I was in a funk yesterday because some people in my life had gotten bad news, I was upset with myself for “abusing” Kava over the weekend and I watched a sad documentary on Layne Staley from Alice In Chains.

What is the general consensus on abuse or overuse? I’m an addict. I don’t think that I’m taking it too far but I got “the talk” from the wife.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
What is the general consensus on abuse or overuse? I’m an addict. I don’t think that I’m taking it too far but I got “the talk” from the wife.
I drink kava daily and have been for years. I don't consider daily use anywhere near abuse. That's my personal opinion tied in with the fact that a good portion of the country of Vanuatu drinks it daily.

We don't see many people here that may be really torn up over the amount of kava they were consuming, and thinking they were in abuse territory. We do complain about our wallets getting lighter, but if you can handle that, it seems that kava will regulate its own use over the proper time duration.

I've always told everyone starting out use it how you need it. If you need it first thing in the morning, go for it. The only time I would say "no, let's hold off" is if you're about to get behind the wheel and have consumed a large amount. If your kava use is endangering others and yourself physically then I believe that's the only time I can say someone has walked into "kava abuse" territory. Other than that, if you're skipping your obligations in lieu of sitting on the couch and shelling, then maybe it's time for a re-evaluation, but again we don't see this often. Physical addiction potential of kava is absolutely zero, but as we all know any physical thing or chemical with any positive effect can have a psychological addiction potential.

I'm also a former opioid addict, which means I must be vigilant. Anything with a physical addiction potential I just can't touch. Of all the drugs and supplements that can go in the "bad" category, kava was my first to exist on the "good" side.

Nickavalas Turtle

Kava Curious
I drink kava daily and have been for years. I don't consider daily use anywhere near abuse. That's my personal opinion tied in with the fact that a good portion of the country of Vanuatu drinks it daily.

We don't see many people here that may be really torn up over the amount of kava they were consuming, and thinking they were in abuse territory. We do complain about our wallets getting lighter, but if you can handle that, it seems that kava will regulate its own use over the proper time duration.

I've always told everyone starting out use it how you need it. If you need it first thing in the morning, go for it. The only time I would say "no, let's hold off" is if you're about to get behind the wheel and have consumed a large amount. If your kava use is endangering others and yourself physically then I believe that's the only time I can say someone has walked into "kava abuse" territory. Other than that, if you're skipping your obligations in lieu of sitting on the couch and shelling, then maybe it's time for a re-evaluation, but again we don't see this often. Physical addiction potential of kava is absolutely zero, but as we all know any physical thing or chemical with any positive effect can have a psychological addiction potential.

I'm also a former opioid addict, which means I must be vigilant. Anything with a physical addiction potential I just can't touch. Of all the drugs and supplements that can go in the "bad" category, kava was my first to exist on the "good" side.
I feel like I didn’t go too far last week but Sunday kind of opened my eyes to the fact that I used almost a lb in 5 days. I was also using my makas for my at work shells. Pair that with a somewhat dehydrated and lazy feeling with some naps and I was definitely distancing myself from the fam. The financial part isn’t really an issue. She doesn’t understand what addicts go through or people with mental health disorders. She’s understanding but clueless. She’s eased up now and everything is honkey dorey and snuggles last night but I was extra hard on myself for some reason yesterday. Anyway...thanks for the input. Have a great day guys!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I feel like I didn’t go too far last week but Sunday kind of opened my eyes to the fact that I used almost a lb in 5 days. I was also using my makas for my at work shells. Pair that with a somewhat dehydrated and lazy feeling with some naps and I was definitely distancing myself from the fam. The financial part isn’t really an issue. She doesn’t understand what addicts go through or people with mental health disorders. She’s understanding but clueless. She’s eased up now and everything is honkey dorey and snuggles last night but I was extra hard on myself for some reason yesterday. Anyway...thanks for the input. Have a great day guys!
Just for reference. I eat through a lb in 10 days, and only drink it once per day. You're not that far outside of normal consumption there.

readyman

Kava Enthusiast
You are on the Right Track now you are talking about your use of Kava and trying to get a pleasurable feeling and for now not thinking about how to get it from other substances also this forum is the place to be in

Status
Not open for further replies.