What's new

New to Kava

love2driveinct

Kava Enthusiast
Good morning. I ordered some kava for the first time yesterday, and unfortunately I did not find this forum until afterward. I truly wish I’d done reading and research here before ordering, but that’s not the way it happened.

I’ve been reading through as much as I can here, but unfortunately our computer isn’t working so I’m stuck on my phone and it’s pretty tiresome. So I apologize for asking the annoying newbie questions that have probably been asked over and over.

My first couple of questions are these:

1) I ordered 70% Kavalactones Extract (Yellow Piper Methysticum) from Top Extracts. Should I use it when it arrives? Or would I better off ordering something else to start out with?

2) Is the AluBall a good way for beginners to get started with preparation? (I can’t use the extract with that, right? Need to use a regular root powder?) Would ordering the aluball and some kava supreme from Amazon be the simplest way to jump in?

3) If money is less of a factor than time and ease of use (at least in the beginning), is Instant the way to go?

4) I have a bar near me that serves kava. Should I try it there first so I know what the taste and consistency should be before I prepare it myself?

TIA

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Good morning. I ordered some kava for the first time yesterday, and unfortunately I did not find this forum until afterward. I truly wish I’d done reading and research here before ordering, but that’s not the way it happened.

I’ve been reading through as much as I can here, but unfortunately our computer isn’t working so I’m stuck on my phone and it’s pretty tiresome. So I apologize for asking the annoying newbie questions that have probably been asked over and over.

My first couple of questions are these:
First of all, welcome aboard!

1) I ordered 70% Kavalactones Extract (Yellow Piper Methysticum) from Top Extracts. Should I use it when it arrives? Or would I better off ordering something else to start out with?
The product you ordered in all likelihood will do no harm. Kava is a very forgiving plant. While we do suggest sourcing a kava from a noble variety, an unknown extract we have yet to see harm anyone psychically. You've likely gotten your hands on a supercritical CO2 extract of kava.

2) Is the AluBall a good way for beginners to get started with preparation? (I can’t use the extract with that, right? Need to use a regular root powder?) Would ordering the aluball and some kava supreme from Amazon be the simplest way to jump in?
Yes and yes. It's a dead simple way of making kava, and we're hearing excellent reports on the kava supreme offered by kavafied as well. On the extract, unfortunately it wouldn't work in the aluball. Back in my extract eating days I'd take a teaspoon and load up about half, and then let it sit under my tongue until it melts.

3) If money is less of a factor than time and ease of use (at least in the beginning), is Instant the way to go?
If money is no factor, instant would be the fastest way to consume kava. You just spoon it out in water, stir and drink. It lacks a bit of the proverbial "punch" that you'd find in traditional kava preparation, but it's almost as good.

4) I have a bar near me that serves kava. Should I try it there first so I know what the taste and consistency should be before I prepare it myself?
That would be a good idea to get a base understanding of the kava scene. The kava may not be as good as the sources you'd find here, but it'll give you a good foray into the taste, and drinking customs observed by most kava drinkers.

I hope kava can be for you exactly what you're looking for. It can take a bit of time to tweak your process and get the right kava for your physiology, but once you hit that sweet spot, kava will open up like a bouquet (albeit a not-so-sweet smelling bouquet :))

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
[QUOTE="love2driveinct, post: 152212, member: 6067"

2) Is the AluBall a good way for beginners to get started with preparation?
Yes, but...... only if you are already sure you are going to be regularly drinking kava, like a few times a month. At that point it's a no brainer. But if you aren't sure you like kava and want to drink it regularly, it's a significant outlay of cash, although you can always sell your used balls to me for a fraction of their worth if you like. I use the AluBall system several times a day every day.

I would not start out with Supreme, though. That is one of the strongest kavas you can get. Yes, it is excellent, bu also not really for beginners, IMO. But some start with it just fine, so what do I know? I would be more inclined to recommend a medium strength balanced medium grind. Till you get more of an idea what effects of kava you especially like and wish to pursue. We're all slightly different.

A Kava bar is a good place to get your feet wet, also a good place to get soaked, so once you know you like kava, it'll be a lot cheaper to prep at home most of the time but nothing beats a kava bar for the social scene, so it is worth it for that. B ut it is especially a nice idea if you are new and starting out, especially if you can meet old root heads hanging out who know their way around.

PS those are really good questions you posed, btw, which bodes really well for you, IMO. With that kind of attitude you and kava should get along great.

love2driveinct

Kava Enthusiast
Thank you Kapmcrunk and Krunkie McKrunkface for the warm welcome and taking the time to reply. Much appreciated.

Kapmcrunk -
Re: extract. Is that the way I should use my extract, then? A little under my tongue? Is that the proper and/or only way to use it?
Re: Instant. Kava Kalm has a few varieties of Micronized Instant on Amazon. I was thinking of trying one of those. Make sense?
Re: Bar. Unfortunately, the bar near me is a regular bar that serves kava. Not sure if they know what they’re doing, but I may still check it out. Nearest kavabar to me is a couple hours away, unfortunately. Maybe next time I’m in the city I can check it out.

Krunkie -
Re: AlaBall. Good point on making the investment. I will hold off for now until I know whether kava works for me. I have to keep reading to figure out which medium grind to start with, too. So much to learn!

Re: Good questions. Thank you. I’m the moderator of several FB groups and have helped to moderate message boards, and I belong to a couple of large Keto groups. Drives me nuts when people post “Hi, I’m new here. How do I get started?” Hahahahaha

Last edited:

love2driveinct

Kava Enthusiast
I think I will start with some instant from amazon while I’m waiting for the extract to arrive. I don’t know anything about Top Extracts and whether they typically ship fast, etc, and I am anxious to get started.

I am a little concerned (but not overly so) about its effect on my Keto way of eating. I’m also taking a ton of supplements. So it’ll be interesting to see how I can fit kava into my life, either regularly or occasionally.

I initially started Keto to lose about 15 pounds, which I did, but I was very pleasantly surprised to see my migraines vanish completely. I’m 46 and had been getting them for 30 years. So for me, it’s a lifestyle change. I may eventually add back in a few more carbs, but only if the migraines stay away as I add them.

The supplements I’m taking are mostly for overall health and joint pain, but I added a few extras recently to repair some of the damage done by regular drinking. Currently, I’m completely abstaining with hopes to drink moderately or occasionally at some point, but I have to admit — it’s challenging to abstain and I’m finding it hard to think about the possibility of not drinking at all if that’s what it comes to. I’m very curious about what kava can bring into my life in that respect.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Kapmckrunk -
Re: extract. Is that the way I should use my extract, then? A little under my tongue? Is that the proper and/or only way to use it?
Honestly, I've found that eating it is just as effective as letting it melt under your tongue. The thinking is that your mucous membranes will allow the kavalactones to more quickly and easily pass into your bloodstream by placing it under your tongue. While that may be true, I never noticed any faster effects, so I just ended up eating it. Letting it melt in your mouth actually does make it a bit easier to swallow.

Re: Instant. Kava Kalm has a few varieties of Micronized Instant on Amazon. I was thinking of trying one of those. Make sense?
Kalm with Kava is an excellent vendor.

Re: Bar. Unfortunately, the bar near me is a regular bar that serves kava. Not sure if they know what they’re doing, but I may still check it out. Nearest kavabar to me is a couple hours away, unfortunately. Maybe next time I’m in the city I can check it out.
Certainly. A normal bar that serves kava? That's an odd one there. First I've ever heard. I'd hate to see the day when their patrons decide to mix the two. Spoiler alert:
mixing the two can really make you sick

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
I think I will start with some instant from amazon while I’m waiting for the extract to arrive. I don’t know anything about Top Extracts and whether they typically ship fast, etc, and I am anxious to get started.

I am a little concerned (but not overly so) about its effect on my Keto way of eating. I’m also taking a ton of supplements. So it’ll be interesting to see how I can fit kava into my life, either regularly or occasionally.

I initially started Keto to lose about 15 pounds, which I did, but I was very pleasantly surprised to see my migraines vanish completely. I’m 46 and had been getting them for 30 years. So for me, it’s a lifestyle change. I may eventually add back in a few more carbs, but only if the migraines stay away as I add them.

The supplements I’m taking are mostly for overall health and joint pain, but I added a few extras recently to repair some of the damage done by regular drinking. Currently, I’m completely abstaining with hopes to drink moderately or occasionally at some point, but I have to admit — it’s challenging to abstain and I’m finding it hard to think about the possibility of not drinking at all if that’s what it comes to. I’m very curious about what kava can bring into my life in that respect.
Also, if you are interested in medium grind (and/or aluball), I personally really like kavafied's Kava Bati, more balanced (toward heady) and definately not as strong tasting as the Supreme.

love2driveinct

Kava Enthusiast
Thank you everyone for your helpful responses. I ordered some KWK instant Puoni Ono and Borongoru last week. Hopefully they will arrive soon, along with the extract from Top Extracts. I will report back on my experiences.

love2driveinct

Kava Enthusiast
My shipment from KWK is coming to my mailbox today. It arrived at my post office yesterday morning, but with no mail delivery, I had to be patient and wait for it to arrive today. Will give some Puoni a go this evening.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Thank you everyone for your helpful responses. I ordered some KWK instant Puoni Ono and Borongoru last week. Hopefully they will arrive soon, along with the extract from Top Extracts. I will report back on my experiences.
IMO Borongoru would make an exceptionally good "first medium grind" and Pouni Ono an exceptional second one.

Bula!

love2driveinct

Kava Enthusiast
My packages arrived, both of them.

The two little jars of instant from KWK -- I opened both and smelled them. I'll tell ya, they might taste worse than mucuna pruriens but they smell 1000 times better.

The kava from Top Extracts did not say where it was from, so I contacted the company. They said the Solomon Islands. They also said it is to be mixed with water, but is not considered an Instant because it is more potent. Interesting.

love2driveinct

Kava Enthusiast
Ate a big lunch around 2:00. Planning on trying some Puoni around 5:30 or 6:00. Mellow day here; no school for the kids so they are in lazy mode. They are teens so they can entertain themselves.

I have a raging sinus headache that has been building all day. I haven't taken anything for it yet. Curious to see what happens with that, if anything.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
My packages arrived, both of them.

The two little jars of instant from KWK -- I opened both and smelled them. I'll tell ya, they might taste worse than mucuna pruriens but they smell 1000 times better.

The kava from Top Extracts did not say where it was from, so I contacted the company. They said the Solomon Islands. They also said it is to be mixed with water, but is not considered an Instant because it is more potent. Interesting.
I have only tried one kava from Solomon and it is very strong and very heavy. Good kava, but really quite strong and heavy. You might want to go carefully at first.

love2driveinct

Kava Enthusiast
I have only tried one kava from Solomon and it is very strong and very heavy. Good kava, but really quite strong and heavy. You might want to go carefully at first.
Yes, that is my plan. I'm going to save that for another time, after I have some experience with the two varieties from KWK.
I did a quick search here on the forum and found a few threads discussing Solomon kava. At least I have an idea of what I'd be getting myself into if I try it. When I try it, not if. I didn't spend $29 on it for nothing! hahaha

love2driveinct

Kava Enthusiast
So... if I don't feel any effects within, say, an hour, then I need to either drink another cup or try using more next time? What would you guys recommend?
I realize there will be RT eventually, but if I understand correctly, first you have to find that magic amount that gets things going?

love2driveinct

Kava Enthusiast
So I decided to go for a second glass an hour later. I did about 5-6oz water with 2 tsp. Almost done sipping it. Tongue and lips a little numb.
I think I feel a little different. Hard to be sure. Yes. Yes, I do. Hard to describe! Sort of like a one-glass-of-wine buzz, but not exactly the same...

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
So I decided to go for a second glass an hour later. I did about 5-6oz water with 2 tsp. Almost done sipping it. Tongue and lips a little numb.
I think I feel a little different. Hard to be sure. Yes. Yes, I do. Hard to describe! Sort of like a one-glass-of-wine buzz, but not exactly the same...
Space it 20 minutes apart. An hour is too long.
::chugger::