What's new

New to Kava

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Thanks for the purchase @love2driveinct and question @Zaphod - We list our micronized / instant as such to help new people to kava know this is in fact an instant product that doesn't need any additional preparation but also to include the information it is micronized kava not a true "dehydrated instant" product. As for the process, it differs from most micronized in the fact it's not simply kava root that has been round very finely (makas and all). We actually developed a couple of processing methods to filter out most of the makas and leave behind most closely what you would get from traditional kava and filtering with a strainer bag. But again, it's not instant as in the dehydrated kava juice either. Hope that helps and let us know if there's any other questions!
Thanks for the clarification! @love2driveinct from this description it is very similar to GHK's microgrind. In my humble opinion you should up the amount. Try 2 TBS then wait 20-30 minutes, if that doesn't do it add another 1-2 TBS. I can't imagine that won't get things rocking. If it is on an empty stomach those first 2TBS should kick in just a few minutes (5 to 10 max). Worst thing that happens if you have too much is a bit of nausea, and the head buzz can be a bit overwhelming. Just go lay down and eat some crackers and you will be right as rain after bit. I think vendors are a bit too timid on their recommendations for dosing to keep folks from over doing it, and is a good approach in general, but if your not feeling it kick in quickly with microgrind you are definitely not taking enough.

love2driveinct

Kava Enthusiast
These are all great suggestions and info. The only thing I can add is if you start to get a little nauseous, eat a baby carrot or two. Those seem to help me lately with strains that are a but more tough on my stomach. Also a couple baby carrots doesn’t ruin the kava feeling. I believe some drink ginger beer for it. I haven’t tried that method yet.
Hmm... Interesting idea. Not sure about carrots, though, since I eat Keto. I do have some Yogi lemon ginger tea. I've been looking for diet ginger beer, but haven't been able to find it locally yet. Still searching.

love2driveinct

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks for the clarification! @love2driveinct from this description it is very similar to GHK's microgrind. In my humble opinion you should up the amount. Try 2 TBS then wait 20-30 minutes, if that doesn't do it add another 1-2 TBS. I can't imagine that won't get things rocking. If it is on an empty stomach those first 2TBS should kick in just a few minutes (5 to 10 max). Worst thing that happens if you have too much is a bit of nausea, and the head buzz can be a bit overwhelming. Just go lay down and eat some crackers and you will be right as rain after bit. I think vendors are a bit too timid on their recommendations for dosing to keep folks from over doing it, and is a good approach in general, but if your not feeling it kick in quickly with microgrind you are definitely not taking enough.
Ok. This morning I had 6 tsp total, which is the same as 2 TBS. Next time I'll increase to what you suggested. Thanks!

love2driveinct

Kava Enthusiast
Started my morning with 2 TBS Puoni Ono micronized instant. I think I hit it! Feeling very different right now. Honestly, I've posted a couple of things here and I'm actually surprised I've been able to be coherent and type it out clearly. I think the key was getting that higher amount in all at once. Still deciding whether to go for another 1 TBS just for the heck of it, to see what happens. I cleared my schedule for the morning so I could do this, nowhere I have to be right now. I have some lemon ginger tea steeping so it's ready for me if I need it.

Last edited:

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
Started my morning with 2 TBS. I think I hit it! Feeling very different right now. Honestly, I've posted a couple of things here and I'm actually surprised I've been able to be coherent and type it out clearly. I think the key was getting that higher amount in all at once. Still deciding whether to go for another 1 TBS just for the heck of it, to see what happens. I cleared my schedule for the morning so I could do this, nowhere I have to be right now. I have some lemon ginger tea steeping so it's ready for me if I need it.
Good morning! Sounds like you hit krunk town! That’s just fabulous!

love2driveinct

Kava Enthusiast
Good morning! Sounds like you hit krunk town! That’s just fabulous!
Yes! I did go for the second cup with the 1 TBS. At about the five minute mark, I could literally feel it spreading through my body. Such a weird sensation!
I'm still feeling the effects now, although a bit subdued. Hope to turn this into a productive day, but I still feel like a short nap first would be nice...

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
Yes! I did go for the second cup with the 1 TBS. At about the five minute mark, I could literally feel it spreading through my body. Such a weird sensation!
I'm still feeling the effects now, although a bit subdued. Hope to turn this into a productive day, but I still feel like a short nap first would be nice...
Kava often makes me feel a bit nappy unless it’s a purely heady strain. I try to save it for the afternoons and evenings unless I’m having a really hard time or have a day off.

Again, I’m so happy for you! Wish I could do the virtual kava circle with you right now.

love2driveinct

Kava Enthusiast
I'm skipping the nap and going about my day. The sun is out, it's supposed to hit 50 here, and I feel like it's going to be a great day! I still feel relaxed, but totally alert. I would have no trouble operating machinery or doing something technical now. I can see how this helps people with anxiety!

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Welcome to the tribe...now if you could just step over here and get your permanent kava tattoo you will be officially assimilated. Bula!

love2driveinct

Kava Enthusiast
I ended up not taking a nap and being productive the whole day. Win!
I decided to go rogue and have some Boronguru this evening around 6pm. I went for 2 TBS, but stopped there. Feeling it for sure!
I'm curious to see if there's a real difference between the two, for me personally. So far the initial effects are pretty much the same. When the Puoni Ono started to wear off it left me feeling like I should go DO something. I'm hoping that this one wears off it will leave me feeling like I should go to bed. :) We shall see.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I ended up not taking a nap and being productive the whole day. Win!
I decided to go rogue and have some Boronguru this evening around 6pm. I went for 2 TBS, but stopped there. Feeling it for sure!
I'm curious to see if there's a real difference between the two, for me personally. So far the initial effects are pretty much the same. When the Puoni Ono started to wear off it left me feeling like I should go DO something. I'm hoping that this one wears off it will leave me feeling like I should go to bed. :) We shall see.
Kava increases my productivity at home and at work. Because it unclutters your brain and makes you more focused, IME. Also, it tends to make me do things sooner rather than later, less likely to procrastinate, and that just naturally makes one more efficient, or at least, more productive.

love2driveinct

Kava Enthusiast
I decided to try some Gaia capsules this evening to see if they affect me. I've taken 3 so far, spaced about 20 minutes apart, very empty stomach. I was thinking of either taking another one, or abandoning that ship and just going for a cup of instant. The experimenting continues!

love2driveinct

Kava Enthusiast
I decided to have a cup of Boronguru, 2 TBS instant. Normally I would have two of those, but since I'd had the three Gaia capsules I didn't want to push my luck. I felt good, but the feeling didn't last. Now I just feel sleepy, but I don't want to be sleepy because it's 9:30 and I'm trying to bake a snack. I will power through and then crash soon.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
but I don't want to be sleepy because it's 9:30 and I'm trying to bake a snack. I will power through and then crash soon.
Sounds like you're baking for a very important guest, if you're so motivated to "power through" the sleepiness in order to finish baking this snack :)
Either that, or all that kava gave you the munchies

love2driveinct

Kava Enthusiast
Sounds like you're baking for a very important guest, if you're so motivated to "power through" the sleepiness in order to finish baking this snack :)
Either that, or all that kava gave you the munchies
Haha, no I was just making crackers out of lavash bread, takes about five minutes a sheet. All for me!! :)

love2driveinct

Kava Enthusiast
It's official, Boronguru gives me a kava hangover. I feel like I do when I take NyQuil too late or take Zyrtec at night. The two times I've had the B I've been pretty groggy in the morning. I was very thankful that we have a school snow day here today so I could sleep in until 9am. I think I will save the Boronguru for times when I'm worried about sleep or need extra sleep and have the freedom to get it.

The experimenting continues!

Right now I'm researching pseudophedrine and kava. I have a terrible sinus headache and I want to take something, but I want to have kava this evening so I can continue to build on the effects. I don't think the kava here and there plan is benefitting me much, so I want to consume it fairly consistently for awhile. The only med I have ever found to be effective on my sinus headaches is a combo of pseudo and ibuprofen, but it seems kava and pseudo do not mix well or should be spaced out quite a bit, so I'm trying to avoid taking the pseudo.

I found an old thread here that mentioned Tomato Tea, so I'm going to head to the store in a few minutes before the snow ramps up and get some V-8. This headache is super annoying, so if that tea doesn't work I will take a 4-6 hr sudafed and plan for kava this evening.

love2driveinct

Kava Enthusiast
Still struggling with the taste, and because of that it sort of messes with my motivation to have some kava. So yesterday I read through a lot of the recipes and some old threads with suggestions. I tried one of them last night, and that was to have a piece of kava candy in your mouth while you drink your kava. That made a big difference! And holy mouth-numbing, batman! I also added some ground ginger right into the kava and I think that helped, too. (Figured it would complement the ginger mint candy.)
I placed another order with KWK last night -- some Borogu and a couple of concentrates. Loa Waka was out of stock. Ordered an AluBall from Amazon, too.