What's new

New to Kava

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Thank you both. I didn't realize tylenol and kava don't mix. I won't do that again. Ibuprofen and kava are okay, though?
Ibuprofen is probably better. Anecdotally I have taken ibuprofen and kava at the same time, but very infrequently, with no ill effects (and have liver tests to prove it). Of course everyone is different and YMMV so in general I wouldn't make it a practice to mix.

love2driveinct

Kava Enthusiast
Looking ahead to my upcoming trip... I know that kava and alcohol don't mix. I also know that there are varying opinions on here as to whether that's true and what actually constitutes "mixing". Here's my dilemma: I imagine my husband and I will want to kick off our trip (first vacation without kids in 14 years) with a toast on the first flight. If I have just that one drink -- probably a glass of wine -- and no more, is it at least a little bit feasible that I could consume some kava on the second flight (7-8 hours later)? The first flight is a fairly short 5pm-9pm-ish flight -- drink, eat, watch a movie, etc. After a few hours' layover, we board at 11:30pm our time for a 17-hour flight. During that time, I really REALLY want to get some rest. But, if I am lucky enough to get some rest, I don't want to wake up from that rest feeling awful and groggy. (So no Boronguru for me, lol.) My thinking is, board the plane, have a ginger ale or similar when the drinks come, get settled, and then make myself a couple of batches of kava before maybe watching something on my iPad or playing some mindless games. Then hopefully drifting off to sleep!

To be sure this won't make me sick to my stomach, I will need to experiment with this at home, so that means sometime in the next week or so, I'll need to have a glass of wine at noon, followed by kava around 7:00 pm. What do you guys think? Obviously, I have no way of knowing whether my liver will like this, but this is not something I'd be doing regularly (just flying over and back), so I'm not super-concerned about that. I've never had a bad liver test, but I take SAMe, milk thistle, and have significantly reduced my alcohol consumption in the last few months. No guarantees, but I'm trying to do what I can to stack the odds in my favor.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
I imagine you’ll be fine. I can’t tolerate alcohol much these days and rarely have a desire to drink any, but on the occasions I have, one drink was totally fine. Depending on how much kava is in your system, that drink may hit you a bit stronger than usual. Other than that, don’t worry! Just follow what feels good to you and your body.

Good idea to practice the prep too!

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
@love2driveinct All things considered, how long did it take you to go through the reverse tolerance? Have fun on your trip!
I know this wasn't directed at me, but as a general response:

as far as I can tell the range for RT is 1 day - 2 months, and a small number of people never get past it. And it's impossible to predict how it will play out for anyone. I had 2 months of RT as did my wife, but our biological child who presumably inherited everything from us had about 2 minutes of RT. Maybe less. "Gee, Dad, this stuff is wonderful!"

love2driveinct

Kava Enthusiast
I imagine you’ll be fine. I can’t tolerate alcohol much these days and rarely have a desire to drink any, but on the occasions I have, one drink was totally fine. Depending on how much kava is in your system, that drink may hit you a bit stronger than usual. Other than that, don’t worry! Just follow what feels good to you and your body.

Good idea to practice the prep too!
Thank you. In this case, I would probably not have any kava in my system at all before having that drink. Then I would have the kava 7-8 hrs afterward.

Aquafina

Kava Curious
I'm a mom with a husband and three kids. Not sure I want to explain this all to them just yet, and the prep would be hard to hide. I think they'd all wonder why I'd want to drink something that obviously tastes nasty -- the only explanation for it is one I'm not ready to give.
Please feel free to ignore this, it’s not my business unless you choose to share. But I’m wondering if you ever did tell your family about Kava. Because I felt the same way. Finally someone asked and I told them it was a dietary supplement for stress and relaxation. They didn’t ask any more questions, so I didn’t have to give my explanation, which I’m not ready to give either. I hope it’s going well for you.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Please feel free to ignore this, it’s not my business unless you choose to share. But I’m wondering if you ever did tell your family about Kava. Because I felt the same way. Finally someone asked and I told them it was a dietary supplement for stress and relaxation. They didn’t ask any more questions, so I didn’t have to give my explanation, which I’m not ready to give either. I hope it’s going well for you.
I have a standard "You know how everybody these days drinks some herbal tea or other, tastes nasty and doesn't do anything and their spouse puts them up to it? Well, I guess that's what kava is." Everybody accepts this.

tarragon

Kava Curious
Hmm... Interesting idea. Not sure about carrots, though, since I eat Keto. I do have some Yogi lemon ginger tea. I've been looking for diet ginger beer, but haven't been able to find it locally yet. Still searching.
I have found a small handful of raw almonds makes the nausea disappear pretty well. I think you can do that on keto?

love2driveinct

Kava Enthusiast
I actually haven't yet, but I haven't exactly "hid" my kava from everyone, either. It's in my drawer in the pantry where I keep all my health-food stuff. I am sort of waiting for someone to ask me sometime when I'm drinking it, and then I can be more casual about it, instead of making some big announcement. lol