What's new

Newbie - tums right before okay?

Asuna

Kava Curious
hi, I will be trying kava for the first time tomorrow, and I’m curious if it would be okay to take an antacid just before or right after the kava. I am just trying to prevent the upset stomach that I see is common...
thanks! (Also I apologize if this is in the wrong spot!)

Zaphod

Kava Lover
hi, I will be trying kava for the first time tomorrow, and I’m curious if it would be okay to take an antacid just before or right after the kava. I am just trying to prevent the upset stomach that I see is common...
thanks! (Also I apologize if this is in the wrong spot!)
Yes it is okay but it likely won't alleviate the nausea that can be caused by kava. I sometimes find it helps if I eat crappy food afterwords (I tend not to get the appetite suppression like others, but get the munchies and eat like crap). Stomach upset seems to come from two different areas: (1) lots of water, and fibrous material that causes discomfort and bloating and (2) certain kavalactones cause a what I call kava nausea and can hit when you have a lot of kava of any form (extract, paste, microgrind, medium grind etc.). I have not found antacids to help much with either cause.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Yes it is okay but it likely won't alleviate the nausea that can be caused by kava. I sometimes find it helps if I eat crappy food afterwords (I tend not to get the appetite suppression like others, but get the munchies and eat like crap). Stomach upset seems to come from two different areas: (1) lots of water, and fibrous material that causes discomfort and bloating and (2) certain kavalactones cause a what I call kava nausea and can hit when you have a lot of kava of any form (extract, paste, microgrind, medium grind etc.). I have not found antacids to help much with either cause.
Thanks for giving your thoughts. I've actually been wondering about this myself and, to be safe, have been waiting till 20-30 minutes after my last shell to take an antacid (probably the empty stomach thing is giving me problems more than the kava, but sometimes it seems like the kava).

Asuna

Kava Curious
Okay, got it! Would consuming a couple crackers and some ginger ale immediately afterwards help at all? Or would it inhibit the effects?
I’ve seen suggestions on the forums such as making your own ginger tea or having ginger candies on hand, but I don’t have the stuff I need for any of that right now.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Okay, got it! Would consuming a couple crackers and some ginger ale immediately afterwards help at all? Or would it inhibit the effects?
I’ve seen suggestions on the forums such as making your own ginger tea or having ginger candies on hand, but I don’t have the stuff I need for any of that right now.
When my brother came from Fiji (he was there on a 2 year program) and first taught me to drink grog, years ago, I recall that he suggested keeping soda crackers on hand. I don't think light snack is anything to worry too much about, so long as you don't eat the whole package.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Yes. If I get the kava nausea eating usually helps some. I also occasionally enjoy ginger beer (it is not alcoholic) Fever Tree being my favorite. I almost never throw up, which is good in some ways and was really bad when I over drank alcohol in my teens. While I have had some really bad nausea from overdoing kava and been head spinning krunk it has never made me puke. So while I try and avoid it, and will combat it with eating something (cheese, crackers, bread) or just sitting down and chilling out for a few minutes. I don't typically get too anxious or worried about it. I find worrying about the nausea almost causes you to "feel" more nauseous. Sort of a mind over matter...distract yourself for a bit and it usually subsides pretty quickly.