What's new

Nice roots!

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Just a heads-up to anyone who plans on grinding whole root at home...in my experience and perhaps depending on the root itself and the grinding method, ...A LOT of the incredibly sticky kavalactones get stuck on the walls of your preparation vessels. So much so, they don’t end up in your beverage. Plenty get in the grog, but the walls of my bowl get covered in pure numbing kavalactone extract that is very difficult to remove and put in your beverage. — If you did it would likely be amazingly potent.

Not sure if everyone runs into this problem, but I certainly have.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Just a heads-up to anyone who plans on grinding whole root at home...in my experience and perhaps depending on the root itself and the grinding method, ...A LOT of the incredibly sticky kavalactones get stuck on the walls of your preparation vessels. So much so, they don’t end up in your beverage. Plenty get in the grog, but the walls of my bowl get covered in pure numbing kavalactone extract that is very difficult to remove and put in your beverage. — If you did it would likely be amazingly potent.

Not sure if everyone runs into this problem, but I certainly have.
That makes sense. I have a dedicated blender pitcher for making kava, usually 8 level tablespoons with 3 cups of hot water. Then knead it and squeeze dry, rinse the blender, and chill the kava by crushing some ice in it.

That blender is permanently stained yellow as can be, with swirl patterns at the bottom made of solid kavalactone. Not even boiling water or alcohol can to strip it clean.

But at least it doesn't make spicy kava anymore. A while ago I foolishly blended ghost chilis in that pitcher. The beta carotenes in the chilis stained the KL paste dark orange and and I enjoyed a solid month of extra spicy kava. Now, the coating is back to regular kava yellow. The KL layer seems to be removed and replenished with repeated use.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
That makes sense. I have a dedicated blender pitcher for making kava, usually 8 level tablespoons with 3 cups of hot water. Then knead it and squeeze dry, rinse the blender, and chill the kava by crushing some ice in it.

That blender is permanently stained yellow as can be, with swirl patterns at the bottom made of solid kavalactone. Not even boiling water or alcohol can to strip it clean.

But at least it doesn't make spicy kava anymore. A while ago I foolishly blended ghost chilis in that pitcher. The beta carotenes in the chilis stained the KL paste dark orange and and I enjoyed a solid month of extra spicy kava. Now, the coating is back to regular kava yellow. The KL layer seems to be removed and replenished with repeated use.
These are very good things to know. I bet a lot of people are going to have fun experimenting with these whole roots.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Very cool. Man, looking at those makes me wonder what each step was of the process by which people figured out that those should be smashed and kneaded in cold water and drank.
Yes i know exactly what you mean. I was pulling on my root all day without any success until I read how others did it from the success of their many hard attempts. :)

One thing i learned the hard way... use a food processor, that you never want to use for anythig else, and not a blender.

Oh and while youre prepping, chew on some of the lateral roots. itll make you feel like a virgin from the good ole island days!

Last edited:

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Has anyone ordered powder from them? Curious to the potency...I am currently loving the Squanch...Squanchifed at the moment ;)
Check out the following thread: http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/anyone-try-fijifreshkava.14891/
I have ordered it too. I like it, but even though I've consumed almost a whole pound I still feel like I'm just barely getting a feeling for what it does, cause I've also been pretty sleep deprived and have sometimes mixed it with other kavas. I will be ordering again, however.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
I've been wondering if there some way a fence post driver could be turned upside down and an iron bar of some sort could be used to just pound it: Amazon productIn any case, the powder they sell was pounded not more than 5 days before you get it, so its probably not necessary to pound whole root except for the satisfaction of pounding/grinding whole root.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
I've been wondering if there some way a fence post driver could be turned upside down and an iron bar of some sort could be used to just pound it: Amazon productIn any case, the powder they sell was pounded not more than 5 days before you get it, so its probably not necessary to pound whole root except for the satisfaction of pounding/grinding whole root.
That is pretty much the old-skool Vanuatu method: put roots in an empty artillery shell and pound it with a truck axle.

truthornothing

Kava Curious