What's new

Nice roots!

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
I used to chew roots like crazy when I had them. I love the insane numbing effects of chewing roots. So much more pronounced than powdered Kava. I'm quite sure that chewing roots is a much more efficient way of extracting kavalactones than any other method. I can't imagine how krunked I would feel chewing three tablespoons worth of root powder (in it's original dry root form).

FijiFreshKava

https://fijifresh.com
Kava Vendor
Is there a resource I could consult on how to grind these roots up?
Not yet, but here's what I do:

1) Use garden pruning scissors to make small pieces.
2) Add to a coffee/spice grinder (the kind with a small spinning blade at the bottom). Blend and shake for about 30-60s until the grind sounds smooth.
3) Then do your prep as normal.

I've been experimenting with optionally adding an espresso-grinding step between 2) and 3) to reduce the grind size. It does help a little, but the basic spice grinding step does a pretty good job.

Bula!

FijiFreshKava

Kava Vendor
These are from fiji fresh. I tried to get the label but the letters got cut off. Speaking of labels, what beautiful artwork of kava leaves. I'll try to get a better pic
The artwork is from an original painting of piper methysticum by Sydney Parkinson, made during one of Captain James Cook's voyages to Fiji in the mid 1700's. It's a nice painting, plus public domain, so I couldn't resist!

FijiFreshKava

Kava Vendor
@fait I took some photos of my process for prepping whole roots. It's pretty simple. If you have some nice pruning shears, it makes things a lot easier! I grind the roots for about 30 seconds and the resulting powder is very fine. Right after grinding the kava is warm and will stick together. It smells totally different -- very spicy (like nutmeg and cinnamon).
IMG_1058.JPG

IMG_1063.JPG
IMG_1067.JPG

Creme de la Kava!

Last edited:

muddywaters

Kava Enthusiast
Just a heads-up to anyone who plans on grinding whole root at home...in my experience and perhaps depending on the root itself and the grinding method, ...A LOT of the incredibly sticky kavalactones get stuck on the walls of your preparation vessels. So much so, they don’t end up in your beverage. Plenty get in the grog, but the walls of my bowl get covered in pure numbing kavalactone extract that is very difficult to remove and put in your beverage. — If you did it would likely be amazingly potent.

Not sure if everyone runs into this problem, but I certainly have.
I found this out recently when I was just making it in my alu ball and noticed that I was getting more potency when I rubbed the excess stuff off the ball and on to the inside of the bottle after each shake, a little goes a long way. Even a small pinch of raw micro in my mouth that I wait and dissolve gives me a boost in less than 5 minutes and can numb my mouth out well.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
I made a permanent discount code for Kava Forum users: Use the code 'FreshForumFan' at checkout to get a 10% discount.
You're too kind! I hadn't had kava lately and thought about ordering from you but I have some kava I must use up. Was a little bummed I missed the October launch discount but I'm glad you've got a neat code for us forumites! :)

Hopefully I'll order some roots to use soon. I have a grinder that'd work well with them.

truthornothing

Kava Curious
You're too kind! I hadn't had kava lately and thought about ordering from you but I have some kava I must use up. Was a little bummed I missed the October launch discount but I'm glad you've got a neat code for us forumites! :)

Hopefully I'll order some roots to use soon. I have a grinder that'd work well with them.
I got the FijiFresh Ground Waka...Very impressed, worth a try for sure.

BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC

Learn to love me, assemble the ways...
I made a permanent discount code for Kava Forum users: Use the code 'FreshForumFan' at checkout to get a 10% discount.
That is so very considerate! I received the email re: the first batch being more heady and was considering the second batch, which was said to be more heavy. Is this true? I did not try my first batches yet as I prefer heavy. I’ll still use them mixed with heavier root. If I order next week, is it the heavier waka that was tested? Thanks!

FijiFreshKava

Kava Vendor
That is so very considerate! I received the email re: the first batch being more heady and was considering the second batch, which was said to be more heavy. Is this true? I did not try my first batches yet as I prefer heavy. I’ll still use them mixed with heavier root. If I order next week, is it the heavier waka that was tested? Thanks!
The current batch of kava I have has a few ground waka pouches that are more heavy and sedating. These are anomalies and inconsistent with the tested kava. Normally our kava is more balanced with heady notes.

I very rarely do a wash down, but I did throw back a couple beers after having some of this kava and slept like a log.

PsyGuru

Kava Enthusiast

I tried FreshForumFan today and it did not work.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

FijiFreshKava

Kava Vendor
Again, very sorry for not being able to follow up with my permanent discount. As it turns out my margins are very small. I can't keep the discounts going and still be able to sell kava. Hope you understand.