What's new

Noob here - just saying hi

Teamfour

Kava Curious
Glad I found this forum. Lots of good info here. I have a small tin of instant green on the way from BKH. I quit drinking over ten years ago. I am looking for something to take the edge off stressful days and to hopefully eliminate the anti-anxiety med I am on.

A couple of concerns: first I am not clear on the reverse tolerance issue. How long should I try to break through this level before I give up on kava? Second, seeing as I may have a propensity to addictive behavior, I don't want to slip into a point where I feel I must drink kava every day.

I look forward to the expert comments on either of these concerns.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
A couple of concerns: first I am not clear on the reverse tolerance issue. How long should I try to break through this level before I give up on kava? Second, seeing as I may have a propensity to addictive behavior, I don't want to slip into a point where I feel I must drink kava every day.
First off, welcome!

Second, to answer your questions;

I am not clear on the reverse tolerance issue. How long should I try to break through this level before I give up on kava?
Reverse tolerance affects a good number of people at first. Some lucky people feel kava's full effects the very first time, but it's rare. It took me about 3 weeks of taking kava pills from gaia herbs (I wouldn't recommend this route, as it's stupid expensive) before I began to really feel effects from them. If you start off with instant you'll probably feel it sooner due to the large amount of kavalactones you're packing in. (Pro-tip: drink it on an empty stomach) So a solid answer on time frame is anywhere from instantly to 1 month before kava is truly kava. Don't give up. It's worth it.

Second, seeing as I may have a propensity to addictive behavior, I don't want to slip into a point where I feel I must drink kava every day.
You're among like minds here. I've been drinking kava daily since 2006 and let me tell you I've never once felt an urge or craving for it when I didn't have it. It's pretty remarkable at how well kava doesn't activate the craving centers I'm used to being activated. I've been in recovery for 8 years and kava has been my medicine for 7 of them. Kava even caused me to nearly quit smoking (electronic cigarettes finally ended my era of tobacco products). The addiction potential of kava is low, if any. If you want to stop....you just stop. The is no withdrawal with kava. Even after decades of consumption.

If you're looking for something non-addictive to take the edge off, and help with anxiety you've found it.

Teamfour

Kava Curious
Wow! Thanks for the quick and informative reply. I plan on making a post when I receive and start using the instant green so I can chronicle my experience and maybe benefit other new users.

violet

Do all things with love
Hiya Teamfour! I have recently discovered the benefits of kava myself. I think it's pretty incredible in how (I hope!) it has helped me break my coffee habit. I went from 3/4 of a pot to a single mug and now I'm a 3rd day coffee/caffeine free. I don't have that feeling like I need it at all, it's very liberating in a sense. I have tried to cut back or quit drinking coffee many times before, always unsuccessful and with serious cravings and having to make substitutions. Kava so far has been more effective for my anxiety than any anti-anxiety med or combo with antidepressants and/or sleeping pills.

Welcome :)!

Ecto

Train by day, Kava by night....All day
Welcome Teamfour! Kapmcrunk already did a great job answering your questions but I just wanted to share that I came to Kava for the exact same reasons as you and could not be more satisfied. To echo a statement Kapm said that is incredibly important to new comers "Don't give up. It's worth it."