What's new

Noobie here, just saying hi and a quick question.

Jay

Kava Curious
Hi there, just thought id introduce myself, I have happened to stumble upon kava after looking for something to replace alcohol to unwind with and am finding kava pretty interesting.

I was wondering about the reverse tolerance, I decided to take the plunge the other day and bought 50grams of waka. I used half of it in a cafetiere (French press) let it steep for 30 mins and longer throughout the evening. I found the effects very subtle , is this due to being a noob? Or should I of not used the cafetier??

Anyway, I have been having a couple of teaspoons past 2 nights, toss and wash method just to hopefully help.

Cheers for any input :) hope to learn plenty here.

J

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Jay, it's important to apply a lot of pressure to the kava in order to mix the kavalactones with the water. They aren't water soluble. I'm surprised you were able to press it at all, the few times I have tried it in a french press it immediately clogs up.

I recommend obtaining a fijian kava strainer (you can use nylon stockings, a paint strainer or other things to substitute for this if you don't want to order one) and kneading it for 10-15 minutes. Or put it in a bag with some water and roll on it with a rolling pin for the same amount of time, then pour it out into a strainer and squeeze it dry.

Jay

Kava Curious
Ah ok!! That's where I've gone wrong. I was looking for some cheesecloth in supermarket but couldn't find any. It is pretty fine powder, so thought I'd try it, it pushed all the way to the bottom. I did get the numbing effect when drinking it.
I genuinely don't mind the taste, really like the numbing feeling too.
I think I'm going to try the proper way when I order some more. Going to use global kava exports which is handy as I'm in England and it's pretty hard to get hold of. Glad I found this forum :)

yiki

Kava Enthusiast
Another , easier method is to add kava, water and a small amount of lecithin or coconut butter to a blender, and then blend 3x90 seconds. Press it through a cheesecloth afterwards.

Jay

Kava Curious
Thank you, I'll try both methods.

Have ordered some malekula magic and some instant from GKE. I look forward to giving it a proper attempt :)

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
awesome! Welcome, and be sure to post what you think in the review forums for Global Kava Exports.