What's new

Not a noob, more of a dilettante

Stelth

Kava Curious
Howdy, folks. I've known about, and from time to time, drunk kava for a couple of years now. After a long dry spell, I'm back, and I wanted to share a few things with you. I recently began experiencing more stresses than usual in my little business, and I've been wanting to relax a bit. I'm an alcoholic, so I can't relax by drinking. Not worth the cost. I haven't had a drink in almost 3 years, and I'm not going back. So I started thinking about kava. I bought some locally, and I liked the effects. However, I don't know what it is, so I figured I'd order some online from a reputable seller. I wanted power, so I got a kilo of Koniak from Bula Kava House. It may not have been the best choice, but it's good stuff.

I have tried various methods to prepare kava, and the best I've found is as follows: Dissolve and emulsify lecithin and coconut oil in hot (maybe 125 deg.) water. Add kava and spin it for a while in the blender. Add ice cubes to cool the mixture down, spin some more, and strain through a muslin bag. I do some kneading of the root in the bag as well. Then I usually put the root powder back in the blender, add more, and do it again. Recently I've been adding ginger to soothe my stomach.

I know this isn't the traditional method, but my hands cramp up long before I've done enough kneading. I also know this method puts out a pretty potent brew.

Bula!

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Welcome stealth, thanks for posting your method of preparation. If you want some real good kava try some Hawaiian, it is very high in kavalactones, that's the good stuff. (y)
Aloha.

Chris

endwatcher

Is there death before life?
I agree, traditional Awa is pretty steller.
I also like higher Yangonin, and found Fijian to be pretty good.

I really like BKH, but I didnt like the Koniak.
I dont know if its Noble or not..kinda reminds me of a Tudai...and those dont do well with me:notworthy:

Try their Boroguru, its quite a little root.

D

Deleted User01

Welcome Stelth, I also own a small business and it can fray one's nerves at times. I like your prep. I also start with about 130 degrees, blend it a few times, then squeeze and knead for 5 minutes for so. I don't add ice because it's not too hot after a few whirs of the blender. I'm going to post what I did this morning. How to make mass quantities in a relatively short period of time. I yielded (2) 16oz bottles of two types of kava and a third combo wash of about 12oz. It's in the fridge now. That's a lot of Kava for me 'cause I am gratefully a Kava Liteweight and it will last at least a week if not longer. I also made some coffee syrup which I will also post. It's a variation on my last coffee recipe.

P.S. My fingers are gnarly too. When I soak the bag, I pick it up with both hands gripping it from both ends. I squeeze with one hand, then the other, and then I wring it dry. Not too painful but very effective. The thicker the lump of kava the better on your hands. Kind of like pens. The thicker ones are easier for me to handle than the little skinny ones. One more thing, I f you suffer from pain on Sunday after doing all your weekend chores, check out the PapaKea at GHK. That's my go to Sunday afternoon Kava. I still drink booze on non-Kava days but I've cut it way down. And no more weekend binging. Better living thru Chemistry. I'm hooked on Kava sleep, I don't sleep like that when I drink alcohol.