What's new

Occasional depression from kava?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Bumping up this thread from forever ago, because this is something I've been dealing with lately. I was taking a non-recommended strain, and actually was feeling pretty darned optimistic in the morning after drinking some. I bought a recommended strain and just had a rough experience with it, including I'm now noticing a feeling of heavy doom that comes on at about 3 or 4 am. (I have been mixing the two together to see if I can combat some of the anxiety-inducing effects of the recommended strain.) That morning "oh shit" feeling is exactly why I quit drinking, so I definitely am wanting to find my way around to a strain that's got all of the good and none of the bad (or at least bad rarely.) I have some Hanakapi'ai that just arrived yesterday. I am going to give myself a day to reset and try that tomorrow and see how it differs. But, I'd love to hear if there have been any other experiences re: depression or off feelings since this post was made.
Thanks!
What's the technical definition of "heady" vs "heavy"? The stuff I had (Hiwa) provoked some anxiety, so I guess that's what people are calling "heady." I'm looking to chill mostly (anti-anxiety), some of the kavas I've had have had that kind of "euphoric" wash, like "everything's cool." What would the benefits be of a "heady" if it's also not a stimulant? (I can't imagine if feels good to be chill in the body but rushing in the head, which is kind of what my feelings of "waking up with a feeling of doom" feel like.)
I've had feelings of fortunately mild depression after long or strong (or both!) sessions with heady only kavas and most things Fijian. I can't explain it but I'm fine with almost anything else.

Hiwa does have a heady kick for me but then slides into a lovely sedating body effect.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Hiwa is heavy enough to cause issues for some. Try some Tongan root. Depression after Tongan root seems like it would be impossible.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Hiwa is heavy enough to cause issues for some. Try some Tongan root. Depression after Tongan root seems like it would be impossible.
I'm fine on vanuatu and Tongan kavas, even pouni ono which in most ways is on a par with m'oi.

gork

Kava Enthusiast
lol holly necromancy batman! I have no science to back this up. I can only speak to personal experience. I have a post floating around speaking to this some Lawena(SP) I just fealt...off and in a funk for a quite a bit after words. I hope I am saying what some are thinking: Moderation! Hell even Green Tea or Coffe or just not getting normal regular sleep will lead to funks. add bonkersworld, and snow, winter what not? And it's likely. That's why the safest and least likely way to feel crappy, sleepy, and depressed normal regular things. Excerzize, Green or Black Tea (for example). I have no hard core science to back it up. I can only speak to personel experience that 3 yeps: Some Kava's lead me to starting off ok then egad did I need sleep later. I simply can only guess why, possibly a mix of weather, dryness sandy desert.
Certain heavy kava triggers my depression, but moreso just because it makes me tired.
3 yeps their. Some kava's lead me to be in a funk. Others more likely so than others. So MODERATION!

Status
Not open for further replies.