What's new

Officially Giving Up My Lurkership

Saghloqh

Kava Curious
Hey everyone! Technically I think I've been a member of this forum for something like a year (maybe less or more), and I've lurked for something like 5 years, but although I've posted a few times, for the most part I haven't even been logged in during my infrequent visits over that period of time.

For a number of years, I have been a stereotypical Reddit user... spending more time than is healthy scrolling through endless posts that are rarely satisfying brain food, and all too often flooded with US politics. Recently, I've been taking steps to change that. Some of that is spending less time online, but I am still a sucker for online message boards of various types.

I've decided it would be great to go back to my roots (No pun intended), those being traditional forums. I like how each has its own community in which everyone grows with each other, and specific, targeted topics seem to me a much better way to get interesting and relevant information into my noggin than just browsing Reddit mindlessly.

A little about me: I've known and used kava intermittently for about 6 or 7 years. However, in that time I've only had truly resounding success a few times. I've always been really interested in psychpharmacology as well as ethnobotany... while I don't study either professionally, I feel myself to be a bit of a "gonzo ethnibotanist" if I may appropriate and adapt a term from the late, great Hunter s. Thompson. I love learning about traditional cultures and their usages of plant medicines, but even more I love experiencing first hand what kind of qualia the underlying pharmacological mechanisms translate into.

More recently I have come back to kava because my mindset unfortunately led me astray. As with many I see on here, I was self-medicating with various substances for a long time. Now I've been in recovery for a year, and it's going well... but now I have anxiety and pain issues that are largely unchecked, so I have been looking for plant allies that are not destructive to help me out.

Luckily, my recent experiments with kava seem to be finally clicking... I can more consistently gain effects from my preparations, and while it's still not an exact science, it is serving me well.

Other miscellaneous tidbits to help establish a picture: I am a dual citizen of the US and Canada, original.ly hailing from the US. However, I have lived far longer in the US than Canada, and fully consider myself Canadian. I am an apprentice carpenter... currently working as a framer, by doing some experiments with building a tiny house on the side, and hope to make building and selling them my primary line of work. I also do web development in any extra time, and although I work labour I'm really a gigantic nerd/geek at heart.

I'm really looking forward to soaking up all the wisdom of this wonderful community! As an off and on lurker over the last half decade, this is one of the most laid-back and wholesome little communities I've ever found. (Even when TK is mentioned and things get rowdy, still 10000% better than many other online platforms). I'm excited to finally join in.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Hey everyone! Technically I think I've been a member of this forum for something like a year (maybe less or more), and I've lurked for something like 5 years, but although I've posted a few times, for the most part I haven't even been logged in during my infrequent visits over that period of time.

For a number of years, I have been a stereotypical Reddit user... spending more time than is healthy scrolling through endless posts that are rarely satisfying brain food, and all too often flooded with US politics. Recently, I've been taking steps to change that. Some of that is spending less time online, but I am still a sucker for online message boards of various types.

I've decided it would be great to go back to my roots (No pun intended), those being traditional forums. I like how each has its own community in which everyone grows with each other, and specific, targeted topics seem to me a much better way to get interesting and relevant information into my noggin than just browsing Reddit mindlessly.

A little about me: I've known and used kava intermittently for about 6 or 7 years. However, in that time I've only had truly resounding success a few times. I've always been really interested in psychpharmacology as well as ethnobotany... while I don't study either professionally, I feel myself to be a bit of a "gonzo ethnibotanist" if I may appropriate and adapt a term from the late, great Hunter s. Thompson. I love learning about traditional cultures and their usages of plant medicines, but even more I love experiencing first hand what kind of qualia the underlying pharmacological mechanisms translate into.

More recently I have come back to kava because my mindset unfortunately led me astray. As with many I see on here, I was self-medicating with various substances for a long time. Now I've been in recovery for a year, and it's going well... but now I have anxiety and pain issues that are largely unchecked, so I have been looking for plant allies that are not destructive to help me out.

Luckily, my recent experiments with kava seem to be finally clicking... I can more consistently gain effects from my preparations, and while it's still not an exact science, it is serving me well.

Other miscellaneous tidbits to help establish a picture: I am a dual citizen of the US and Canada, original.ly hailing from the US. However, I have lived far longer in the US than Canada, and fully consider myself Canadian. I am an apprentice carpenter... currently working as a framer, by doing some experiments with building a tiny house on the side, and hope to make building and selling them my primary line of work. I also do web development in any extra time, and although I work labour I'm really a gigantic nerd/geek at heart.

I'm really looking forward to soaking up all the wisdom of this wonderful community! As an off and on lurker over the last half decade, this is one of the most laid-back and wholesome little communities I've ever found. (Even when TK is mentioned and things get rowdy, still 10000% better than many other online platforms). I'm excited to finally join in.
Bula!

My family is all dual national (and beelangs). I actually got a railroad pension from VIA. We lived in HLFX, TRTO, TBAY and Inuvik, though she is from NFLD. Kids were born in TBAY and I was born in the Federation of the West Indies, a country which only existed for four years and no one ever heard of, except in terms of cricket.

A tip for ethnobots, AluBall works great for the South African oneirogenic, sileni capensis. Mill first for a few seconds in a coffee grinder. Much more efficient extraction than traditional way, IMO and you waste far less. Goes well with kava, too. Doesn’t do squat for anxiety but good for dreaming.

Zaphod

Kava Lover

Welcome to the light. ::hugsmiley::

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
We just wing it and do it randomly. You can make one too and post in the thread and message people to see when they’re available. @kastom_lif and @recentreturn and others are into it.

When I start a circle, I message one or two people a day or so in advance, sometimes the day of, but ask in the morning. Then I throw the link into the thread for others to join once it’s started.
That honestly sounds like a blast! :) I've seen the thread but am not sure if they're at scheduled times or just kind of whenever? Anyway I'll be looking out!
w