What's new

Kava Botany Orange county kava ?

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I stumbled upon this plant growing in california, it looked suspiciously like kava so I investigated further:
awa1.JPG
awa3.JPG
awa2.JPG

@Gourmet Hawaiian Kava can you confirm this is piper methysticum ?
It gives me hope for my previously dashed dream of growing kava here. :woot:
::tanoa::

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
yeah, it's most likely auritum due to location :T
but their sooo similar there's gotta be a hearty/hardy methysticum than can adapt to this climate errrr
on an upnote, piper auritum contains safrole wich is the base substance that mdma is made from :hungry:(y)

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
tbh I kinda wonder if we underrate kava's hardiness. I mean sure there aren't any wide scale kava plantations on the American continent but then nobody's really given it an honest shot have they?

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
tbh I kinda wonder if we underrate kava's hardiness. I mean sure there aren't any wide scale kava plantations on the American continent but then nobody's really given it an honest shot have they?
I want to be the person to give it an honest shot. ::ricky::
...acquire several varieties see which ones are bitches and which ones can stand up to the crazy weather changes.
I noticed that Piper, what ever kind it was, was planted right on the wall of a house.
I assumed if it were Methysticum, the warmth of a lived in house, is enough to protect from the occasional frosty night and that's how it thrived.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I'd like to get some wichmanii and re-domesticate it, breeding out all the bad stuff and rebalancing the KLs back to what is considered good for drinking. I have no idea if this is possible or not, it would be a good question for a botanist, but it would be really great to have some super potent frost tolerant fast growing kava.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
I stumbled upon this plant growing in california, it looked suspiciously like kava so I investigated further:
View attachment 3998 View attachment 3997 View attachment 3996
@Gourmet Hawaiian Kava can you confirm this is piper methysticum ?
It gives me hope for my previously dashed dream of growing kava here. :woot:
::tanoa::
Sorry, that is not kava, it is false kava, it has no kavalactones and spreads through shoots underground. I have seen it here in Hawaii being sold as real kava. Keep looking for that kava over there. You might find some. :)
Aloha.

Chris

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
OMFG kill it with fire!!!

This thing turned up where I lived in Fiji in 1999. We'd never seen it before, but it was called Yaqona-ni-Hawaii or Yaqona-ni-Tonga depending on who you asked, and it was reputed to grow crazy fast. We were kava growers and so of course this plant was intriguing. I procured a stem and planted it in our garden by our porch (a novelty, it would be something to talk about when we had guests over).

So this thing grew and grew and we were amazed and delighted. Something interesting happened as well; it started sprouting up new plants wherever its roots went... kind of like how strawberries throw out runners and grow new plants. Piper Methysticum, unfortunately, doesn't do this. Anyway, it wasn't a problem, the lawnmower took care of any new shoots.

2 years later, it was 8ft tall. Still, the novelty had worn off and I was into a new crop, Noni (aka Kura). So I dug out this Yaqona-ni-Hawaii and planted a noni tree in its place. The branches and roots I tossed down the hill (we lived on the edge of a steep hill).

I leave for a few years and when I go back home, the *entire hillside* is covered... at least three acres of this fucking Piper Auritum!!

Apparently the only way to kill it is to dig it all out of the ground, chop it up into 1" pieces, pour gasoline on it, and then burn it while chanting "burn motherfucker burn" wearing nothing but a loincloth. Glyphosate will also work, but my mom refused to allow any weedicides or pesticides to be used anywhere near our home.

It's still there over a decade later, a source of shame and a constant reminder of the damage invasive species can do.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
It's actually native to the tropical regions of the Americas and used in cooking thereabouts, so not too crazy to think it would make it up north to where shakas is.

So I guess the next step is to teach Pacific Islanders how to cook with it. ::ricky::

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
OMFG kill it with fire!!!

This thing turned up where I lived in Fiji in 1999. We'd never seen it before, but it was called Yaqona-ni-Hawaii or Yaqona-ni-Tonga depending on who you asked, and it was reputed to grow crazy fast.
I came across some of this recenty in Tonga growing wild around some of Nukualofa's town boreholes. The Tongan guys I was with told me it was a fast growing useless kava which they called "Kava Fiji"!
Funny how the old animosities of the Polynesian triangle warfaring days have now morphed into taking the p*ss out of each others kava (and rugby teams)

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
I'm getting curious about how this Piper plant got to latin america ?
Would it have been introduced by sailors who brought it from the south pacific a few hundred years ago ?
what about ancient polynesian sailors who may have made contact that we'll never know about ?
how closely is it related to Piper Methysticum genetically, how many genes are different between Wichmanii and Methysticum ?
Could the species have originally been a kava plant that just evolved into Auritum because of being introduced new soil and climate or was Auritum already a fully recognized separate species in ancient polynesia ?
all life has a path...the odds are astronomically unlikely, to think this plant sprouted up in the americas completely independent of the Pipers in Oceania and the pacific rim.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
There are like 2,000 plants in the piper genus. Apparently they are present in all tropical areas on the Earth. Too bad only one of them makes you feel awesome (that we know of)...

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
damn 2,000. either way...all 2,000 are related and have an original source and a journey they took to spread around to different locations. being that Auritum looks extremely similar to our beloved, compared to some of the other Piper species, I assume it's much more related genetically.

in my view there should 1,999 psyhoactive piper's and one black pepper

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Incidentally I did find this one while looking through random piper plants.

The Kuna Indians of Panama use the decoction of Piper darienense C. DC. called “Duerme Boca” and “Kana” as bath to alleviate cold and to treat snakebites (Duke,
1975). The Choco Indians of Panama use this plant (called “Tocoan”) as an effective remedy to relieve toothache and as a fish poison (Duke, 1970). Hippocratic screening of the chloroform extract of P. darienense showed pharmacological activity on central nervous system (CNS), displaying such effects as analgesia and anesthesia (Ramírez and Domínguez, 1993).

It's nice of them to get those fish all krunked up before they get eaten...

verticity

I'm interested in things
Is there any reason in principle that true kava could not be grown in Southern California? It is warm enough year round, but the dryness would probably be a problem. You would have to water it a lot. Jerry Brown would hate you... So you would have to buy a farm with water rights...

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
Is there any reason in principle that true kava could not be grown in Southern California? It is warm enough year round, but the dryness would probably be a problem. You would have to water it a lot. Jerry Brown would hate you... So you would have to buy a farm with water rights...
I think it could grow but it would be hit and miss. Kava doesn't like frost and we can get frosty nights in the winter.
A lot of the soil is hard and rocky and can have salt in it. I meant to buy one this year to see how far I could take it.
I was able to grow a mango tree from seed for several years and then one winter we had several overnight freezes in a row...it killed 95% of the tree, but luckily new sprouts started popping out of the trunk. It's still alive, but now its more of a mango bush. I've lost all other mango tree attempts to winter and/or disease. :T