What's new

Our attempt with growing kava (As a hobby)

Kava Time

Fiji
Kava Vendor
Managed to get our Taveuni farmer to send kava cuttings to grow as a hobby. Only 1 out of the 7 cuttings seems to have germinated. Pictures are available below. The cuttings came wrapped in plastic and were quite heated up in transit because of the hot weather here. Some of the cuttings were molding at the nodes. I am actually surprised that one managed to grow. I thought kava was a very sensitive plant at early stages according to what farmers told me. Well having a 14% germination success rate of heated up cuttings maybe why its classed as a difficult plant to grow. I followed with how our farmer does his planting, basically laying the cutting flat underground and keeping it shaded from the burning sun we have here. Doesn't need too much water or it begins to rot.

20170516_161437.jpg
20170604_150503.jpg
20170608_165837.jpg

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I'd love to grow it indoors, in the right environment, from what I've read, it's very difficult. Good Luck :)

Poivrier

methystified
I would advise a more aerated soil, It looks like you have buried the cuttings in a slab of clay :nailbiting:
Look on the forum for a thread with good rooting advices from Chris and Alia, they use sphagnum moss.

Kava Time

Fiji
Kava Vendor
I would advise a more aerated soil, It looks like you have buried the cuttings in a slab of clay :nailbiting:
Look on the forum for a thread with good rooting advices from Chris and Alia, they use sphagnum moss.
Its actually pretty fine soil which drains very well. Just looks like clay in the picture. Watering the soil makes it settle as such. I cant find any moss available in our area to be honest. I might ask him to send some more cuttings to experiment with different types of soil.

Poivrier

methystified
Hm but it doesn't looks like the roots could breath, they need oxygen, aerobic conditions. Try to mix perlite with good, rich gardening soil.
Kava from Fiji, man ! :hungry:

Kava Time

Fiji
Kava Vendor
So after taking in recommendations from @Poivrier i took out the cuttings from the soil i was using and placed it into a mixture of soil and a type of moss which i found growing nearby. All the cuttings were germinating but at a snail pace, so the moss actually helped speed things up. Below is a picture of 2 cuttings germinating after my last post.
20170701_130649.jpg

Unfortunately i forgot to take a pic of how big they had grown but i have managed to successfully transplant 3 of them. One grew quite big and had a lot of mini roots.

20170805_170841.jpg
20170805_170903.jpg

Below is the big one
20170805_170911.jpg

The kava which germinated first in the soil pot plant unfortunately did not survive the transplant. I suspect that i may have either broken the roots when transplanting or it may have just got burnt in the sun after sudden exposure. Made sure to shade the other 3 when they were transplanted.
Below is pic of how the pure soil seedling was
20170701_130700.jpg

This is what became after.
20170805_170853.jpg

It still has more nodes germinating and some roots in it so i've kept it as such hoping the new nodes pop up some stalks and leaves eventually. It hasn't dried up so thats a good thing. When i uprooted it to check whether its still alive i planted it back into the moss material i found. Hopefully it brings this cutting back to life bigger and better.

I have 2 more cuttings which has germinated and another with roots out but still no nodes.

20170805_170824.jpg

I cannot recall the date i had received the cuttings and when i planted them but I'm guessing it was somewhere around mid of May. I am surprised that all but 1 cutting has successfully germinated considering the condition i received them in (It was packed in a plastic bag and heated up because of the extreme humidity and hot day we were having.
Below is the moss i have been using. I dont know what its called but its phenomenal stuff. it manages to retain moisture well which keeps the kava plants cool throughout the day. By the time i water the kava in the afternoon it still is quite moist. I live literally 100m away from the sea. It would be interesting to see how the kava plants turn out after a year if it survives.
20170805_170925.jpg

Will try to get more varieties of kava cuttings and see how they grow here.

Last edited:

Pounigirl

Kava Enthusiast
@Kava Time That's awesome! I really want to try this as well just for fun in my back yard, but I can't find anyone who has seedlings. I found one person in Hawaii, but he is growing Isa only. I'd love to get my hands on some noble root cuttings or seedlings to see if I could grow one or two in my back yard. I hope yours does well. That's a cool project. :)

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Great stuff, Neil. They will need shade for the first year at least. The Nadi sun is killer! A guy I know planted around 50 of them on his farm in Uciwai outside Nadi and around 6 months later only a handful are still alive. No artificial shade was provided but they were shaded by mango trees from around 1pm every day. Half a day of the Nadi sun killed them. He had never grown kava before and by the time I found out it was too late :(

Kava Time

Fiji
Kava Vendor
Great stuff, Neil. They will need shade for the first year at least. The Nadi sun is killer! A guy I know planted around 50 of them on his farm in Uciwai outside Nadi and around 6 months later only a handful are still alive. No artificial shade was provided but they were shaded by mango trees from around 1pm every day. Half a day of the Nadi sun killed them. He had never grown kava before and by the time I found out it was too late :(
Tell me about it! Thats one of the reasons my first transplant was a bust. I had not shaded the kava plant. After that made sure to shade the next 3 transplants. They are all planted under coconut trees. The kava roots may have to fight with the coconut tree roots but as long as the kava plants grow big i'll be happy about it. Its good that its the cool season now, the real test will begin when the hot season begins.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Its good that its the cool season now, the real test will begin when the hot season begins.
On the contrary, the kava will be happier in the hot season, mainly because it comes with rain. Lots and lots of rain. Just make sure it doesn't get flooded because that too will kill the kava.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
(y) Comin' along nicely. I got my cuttings around the same time as you but only have one of six that's still alive...and it's smaller.
Some simply never sprouted and other's kept getting their new leaves eaten by bugs. My cuttings were pretty thin too, which Alia said could make them more difficult to germinate. Of course, I'm also dealing with a Mediterranean climate, which can be too dry and too cold sometimes, lately we've been getting a lot of hot humid days though, which appears to be doing good for it. They definitely seem to need A LOT of shade.

I don't have much faith mine will survive, but I hope you get to see yours grow into a full shrub. ::kavaleaf::::kavaleaf::::kavaleaf::

Kava Time

Fiji
Kava Vendor
(y) Comin' along nicely. I got my cuttings around the same time as you but only have one of six that's still alive...and it's smaller.
Some simply never sprouted and other's kept getting their new leaves eaten by bugs. My cuttings were pretty thin too, which Alia said could make them more difficult to germinate. Of course, I'm also dealing with a Mediterranean climate, which can be too dry and too cold sometimes, lately we've been getting a lot of hot humid days though, which appears to be doing good for it. They definitely seem to need A LOT of shade.

I don't have much faith mine will survive, but I hope you get to see yours grow into a full shrub. ::kavaleaf::::kavaleaf::::kavaleaf::
What state are you in? Its a pretty sensitive plant from what i have experience so far. Once you see the leaves starting to curl up that's a sign of it beginning to wilt and there is no way you can stop that from happening unfortunately :(

Kava Time

Fiji
Kava Vendor
@Kava Time, good luck with your growing efforts. I see you have direct contact with your Kava Farmer to insure the middleman doesn't mess with it. I also see that your Kava has been tested and is Noble as the world is round. Good job. I know its a pipe dream, but if you could grow and sell it "farm to market", you wouldn't have to fret so much about anyone messing with the nobility of the kava that you order. But we appreciate your "fretting". :D Keep up the good work and keep us posted on your growing adventures.
We don't buy from middleman for a bunch of reasons
1 is because middleman dont care about the quality of the kava being sent. They just want to make a profit asap so will send you anything from wet molding mildew kava to extremely muddy ones.
2 is that the middlemen always mix kava from different regions so you don't always know what you are getting. The most popular kava in Nadi comes from Savusavu. Middleman always mix or send you taveuni kava labeled as savusavu (Taveuni usually produces a dark beverage which is deemed dirty by the fijians of indian descent kava drinkers)
3 is that they will send you anything between the range of 1yr to 4 yr old kavas. Its never consistent.

Its gotten even worse now since supply has lowered and demand has increased.

Working with farmers directly is much better because by offering better prices you can get exactly the type and quality of kava you need. Our farmers are passionate about what they grow and sell and take into consideration of our needs. The only problem though, which is a general problem with kava is that it almost always comes dirty. Pressure washing in the islands is impossible because of limited power/water supply. So we need to re-wash the kava before processing. To give you an idea of how much dirt comes out from normal roots, take a look at pic below. This is after washing a few kilos of waka
Dirt.jpg

Its not just this little patch. Majority of the dirt has been drained out. Hand washing kava is quite hard when the soil is wet and stuck onto the roots. Pressure washing would be good but when power supply is only available from 7pm to 10pm in the islands, things get difficult.

Nobility of fijian kava is unquestionable. We dont have tudei kava here. The main problem with fiji kava exports is when fijian kava is mixed with imported vanuatu/png kava or when aerial parts or other fillers are mixed into kava to lower costs. We process whole dried kava roots so aerial parts or imported kava adulteration is not possible.
The problem with buying kava powder from fiji which is a very big risk for importers is that its impossible to tell what you are getting. I have seen people mix flour, sugar, kava stalk, peelings into the kava they export without the buyer getting a hint of it. I have also seen cockroaches, dead mice and all sorts of nasty stuff in bags of kava which get processed without a second glance. Exporters don't care about what they are sending as long as it seems decent enough and there is a profit to be made. Since we export and retail our own kava, our reputation is on the line with our customers which is why so much quality check and precautions are taken. The last thing we want is a customer getting food poisoned because of consuming a dried dead powdered mice in a batch of kava.

Pounigirl

Kava Enthusiast
(y) Comin' along nicely. I got my cuttings around the same time as you ::kavaleaf::::kavaleaf::::kavaleaf::
Do y'all know anywhere I could get cuttings or seedlings to here in the lower 48? I'm in South Florida (Miami area) where hopefully the climate is similar and I really really want to try to do this in my yard, but can't find anything that is noble to plant. TIA. :)

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Do y'all know anywhere I could get cuttings or seedlings to here in the lower 48? I'm in South Florida (Miami area) where hopefully the climate is similar and I really really want to try to do this in my yard, but can't find anything that is noble to plant. TIA. :)
On the mainland, I doubt the climate gets any better for kava than Florida:
Your options:
http://www.logees.com/kava-kava-piper-methysticum.html
http://www.store.hawaiiantropicalplants.com/Piper-methysticum-kava-55-inch-square-pot-1386.htm
http://pokifruits.com/index.cfm/pageid/index.cfm?pageid=12

Last edited:

Pounigirl

Kava Enthusiast
Ah thank you so much! I will contact them and see if their cultivars are noble. Thank you so much for digging that up. I had only found one nursery when I searched. :)

Pounigirl

Kava Enthusiast
The ones they've advertised are definitely noble Hawaiian cultivars.
Oh yay! Thank you so much! One of those was actually the one I found in my own search but when I contacted him he told me he was only growing Isa. I'm glad the others at least will have a noble cultivar. Thanks so much. :)