Change background image

Our attempt with growing kava (As a hobby)

Discussion in 'Kava Time' started by Kava Time, Jun 9, 2017.

1. kasa_balavu

kasa_balavu Yaqona Dina

Viti Levu is Fiji's largest island. There are mountain ranges through the middle of it and everything on the windward side is *always* wet and green and everything on the other side is very dry outside of the wet season.

Kava grows well on the other side of Viti Levu, but this side (where Neil and I live) is too dry for kava. The commercial crop here is sugarcane as there is a pronounced wet season for growing and then a dry period that increases the sugar content before harvest.

3 weeks ago my back yard was bone dry and beginning to show big cracks in the ground, but the wet season just started and the grass is already thick and four inches long. It should now rain a few days a week until the end of April.
    Kava Time and verticity like this.
  2. sɥɐʞɐs

sɥɐʞɐs ‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾ Review Maestro

How are the plants doing Neil? Any updates? I'd love to see more pics. ::kavaleaf::
    Ricardo Piquant likes this.
  3. Kava Time

Kava Time Fiji Kava Vendor

Unfortunately they died. My dad sprayed weed killer around the plants and somehow it got onto the kava :(
  4. sɥɐʞɐs

sɥɐʞɐs ‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾ Review Maestro

Bummer, ya gonna try again?
    It doesn't even require weed killer to kill mine, I baby them and they still die. :banghead:
  5. Kava Time

Kava Time Fiji Kava Vendor

Nah it requires too much care during dry season in nadi.
  6. GeorgiaSydney2019

GeorgiaSydney2019 New Member

Hi there,
    Would you have any idea how I could transport some kava cuttings out of Fiji? My partner and I are attempting to grow some kava in Indonesia and we have spoken to contacts in customs in Indo but wondering if its possible to take them out of Fiji and how to go about doing so?

One more question, will kava grow on sloped land ie. on a mountain slope? Or does it have to be flat.
    Thank you in advance?