What's new

Oxford English Dictionary Have Improved their Definition of Kava

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
On the 25th of February this year, the Oxford Dictionaries Word of the Day was Kava and they posted this image on their social media channels:

I engaged with them on Twitter to argue that their definition was incorrect and insensitive. Others joined in with likes, comments, and retweets, and Oxford Dictionaries said they'd look into it. I also emailed OED via their contact form to properly explain (without the limitations of twitter) why I though the definition was incorrect, mainly arguing that kava wasn't a narcotic (with sources cited) and that "Polynesia" wasn't appropriate. I suggested an alternate definition. I only ever received an autoresponse from them saying that they received too many emails to respond to them all but that my email would be read.

A few days ago I remembered all this and checked their website. The definition hadn't changed, but their website (and domain name!) had and it looked like they had an improved contact/support system. So I resent my old email, hoping that this time someone might actually get it.

This time I received a response, and apparently they had read and acted on my earlier email. The definition has been updated on their premium website and submitted to their other sites to be rolled out in the next update.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

poor quality screenshot of premium.oxforddictionaries.com they sent me

It could be better, but is still a much improved definition IMO. We can't seem to get them to drop "intoxicating" (see MW). Blame Johann Georg Forster for that.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
On the 25th of February this year, the Oxford Dictionaries Word of the Day was Kava and they posted this image on their social media channels:

I engaged with them on Twitter to argue that their definition was incorrect and insensitive. Others joined in with likes, comments, and retweets, and Oxford Dictionaries said they'd look into it. I also emailed OED via their contact form to properly explain (without the limitations of twitter) why I though the definition was incorrect, mainly arguing that kava wasn't a narcotic (with sources cited) and that "Polynesia" wasn't appropriate. I suggested an alternate definition. I only ever received an autoresponse from them saying that they received too many emails to respond to them all but that my email would be read.

A few days ago I remembered all this and checked their website. The definition hadn't changed, but their website (and domain name!) had and it looked like they had an improved contact/support system. So I resent my old email, hoping that this time someone might actually get it.

This time I received a response, and apparently they had read and acted on my earlier email. The definition has been updated on their premium website and submitted to their other sites to be rolled out in the next update.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

poor quality screenshot of premium.oxforddictionaries.com they sent me

It could be better, but is still a much improved definition IMO. We can't seem to get them to drop "intoxicating" (see MW). Blame Johann Georg Forster for that.
Total respect.

Thank you for taking on this task.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
You have done a very good thing and improved the Oxford definition in at least 2 ways.
1- not strictly Polynesian but, indeed, Pacific Islands;
2- not narcotic as a traditional beverage;
You have inspired me to contact Editors of The New Oxford Book of Food Plants , the 1997 edition says kava is a
fermented and an alcoholic drink. Maybe they are planning a new edition.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Thanks for the kind words, guys. I'm just glad we got the opportunity to get their attention via a mini social media pile-on. I'm not sure they'd have noticed if it was just one email from some random guy.
You have done a very good thing
Thanks.. of course I was inspired by your own and others' efforts at correcting the record around the internet (eg. WebMD and various news articles).
and improved the Oxford definition in at least 2 ways.
1- not strictly Polynesian but, indeed, Pacific Islands;
2- not narcotic as a traditional beverage;
Yes those were the exact points I made to them. An extract of my email:
You define kava as:
1. A narcotic sedative drink made in Polynesia from the crushed roots of a plant of the pepper family.
2. The Polynesian shrub from which kava is obtained. Piper methysticum, family Piperaceae
I'd like you to please reconsider the use of "narcotic" in the definition. You define narcotic as "An addictive drug affecting mood or behaviour, especially an illegal one". Since kava is not addictive, the use of "narcotic" to describe kava is incorrect. This is made all the worse by the severe negative connotations attached to the word "narcotic".

Here is a list of studies that have found kava to be non-addictive:

* No differences in withdrawal or addiction were found between two groups given kava and a placebo - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23348842
* Not only is kava non-addictive, it's anti-craving properties may be used to treat alcohol and drug addiction - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12180513
* "Kava (Piper methysticum) is a non-addictive, non-hypnotic anxiolytic with the potential to treat Generalised Anxiety Disorder" - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26527536
* "Kava has been found to be very effective, well tolerated, and non-addictive" - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12269386
* "Kava (Latin name Piper Methysticum) is a non-addictive medicinal South Pacific plant species belonging to the pepper family." - https://www.rollingstone.com/cultur...l-natural-high-thats-sweeping-america-125828/

If you must mention the effects of kava, then soporific, anxiolytic, relaxing, are all correct and generally accepted. But perhaps it might be better to leave the effects of kava out of the definition altogether. This would be consistent with your treatment of other similar beverages. Below is a list of beverages that have psychoactive properties which aren't mentioned in the OED:

Coffee: "A hot drink made from the roasted and ground seeds (coffee beans) of a tropical shrub."
Kombucha: "A beverage produced by fermenting sweet tea with a culture of yeast and bacteria."
Tea: "A hot drink made by infusing the dried crushed leaves of the tea plant in boiling water."
Maté: "A bitter infusion of the leaves of a South American shrub, which is high in caffeine."

I also object to the use of "Polynesia" and "Polynesian" in the definition. Kava is grown in and consumed in Melanesia (Vanuatu, Fiji, Solomon Islands, Papua New Guinea, New Caledonia), Polynesia (Tonga, Samoa, Hawaii), and Micronesia (Pohnpei, Kiribati).

Since kava is grown across the Pacific Islands, it would be both factually correct and culturally sensitive to use "Pacific Islands" rather than "Polynesia" when mentioning where kava is from.

If I may be so bold as to suggest an alternative, here is a better definition of kava:
1. A Pacific Island beverage made from the root of the kava plant.
2. A shrub native to the Pacific Islands, the roots of which are ground to make a relaxing beverage. Piper methysticum, family Piperaceae
You'll see that I actually tried to get them to drop the "effects" from the definition altogether, but that didn't work.

You have inspired me to contact Editors of The New Oxford Book of Food Plants , the 1997 edition says kava is a
fermented and an alcoholic drink. Maybe they are planning a new edition.
Wow that's way off the mark! Good luck :)