What's new

Pain in right side (under ribs) day after kava usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nils

Kava Curious
Anyone else get pain in their right side the day after kava usage? In particular, I feel pain when I take a big breath. It is very mild, and goes away after about 24 hours. I'm a little concerned since the right side of the body is where the liver is. I have drank kava occasionally for a good 6-7 years now (drink from root powder), with liver tests coming back as okay. But blood tests alone may not provide the whole picture of your liver health.

I do have some acid reflux, but my acid reflux has never caused me pain when taking deep breaths under my right side of my rib cage. Anyone had a similar symptom or know if it could be something other than my liver?

Russell Caruso

TravelingMan
I occasionally get the same thing and also find myself concerned about whether it may be my liver or not. Though, it has always been gastrointestinal related. Kava definitely has caused a bit of pain, but it usually eh, passes... within 24 hours and i'm like, oh, that's why my stomach hurt. Though it always does seem to hurt in the same area, right side, under rib cage, but it always goes away after I use the bathroom. Weird how that works... But if you're concerned it might be your liver it doesn't hurt to get yourself checked. My case may be different than yours, but honestly, usually it's just the Kava moving something along (or slowing the process) down there.

El Guapo510

Kava Curious
I've had that type of sensation for years. I went to the dr one time and he told me there is a part of your GI track that runs right next to liver/stomach area and people come in all the time thinking its a liver issue. Over the years, I attributed it to carbonated drinks, greasy meals, alcohol (especially beer), and yes, now kava definietly does it too. Nothing serious, maybe try some ginger with your grog.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I had that problem before kava but sometimes seemingly triggered by kava later on rare occasion. When i got checked out, tests were done and gallbladder problems were diagnosed. Not stones per say, but sluggishness and <5% functionality. Also i can second the constipation thing. Gas as well. However when I have these issues they often hurt more towards the back. I have thought i had kidney pain or maybe stones before and even thought i had heart pains because of constipation and gas. Gas can give you some serious chest pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.