What's new

Palarasul kava from Kava Society NZ

Mo'iety

Kava Enthusiast
I recently was on vacation in New Zealand and popped into the Four Shells kava bar in Auckland and had some shells of the Palarasul kava. It was really good! Relatively mild in taste and heady-balanced effects with a nice kavain buzz at the start. I'd compare it to the current Samoa special variety from KWK, but maybe more potent. This kava really hit the spot! Brought a kilo back with me to the US since shipping costs from NZ have kept me from ordering from them before. Kudos to @Henry and Kava Society for sourcing this great cultivar!

Also, Four Shells is a cool place! Anyone who ever finds themselves in the Auckland area should check them out. I guess they've only been open less than a year now; I really hope they do well!

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
Yeah, I took the shipping bullet and bought some Palarasul and I'm glad I did! I'm rationing it these days since I don't have much left. It's a very good, mild-tasting balanced kava I find. Definitely uplifting! Very unique taste too. Until I tried this, I didn't know kava could taste savory. New Zealand is on my to-visit list but it may be a while before I go that way.

_byron

Kava Enthusiast
Any plans for US distribution? @Henry
Just got my package from Kava Society, and yes please. The Kelia is so damn amazing. I need it with less shipping cost and time. I have yet to try the Palarasul or the Pacific Elixir Traditional Kava, but expect I will love them as much. This would be my go-to if it were not for the shipping... I'd volunteer ::KavaChug::

Mo'iety

Kava Enthusiast
Just got my package from Kava Society, and yes please. The Kelia is so damn amazing. I need it with less shipping cost and time. I have yet to try the Palarasul or the Pacific Elixir Traditional Kava, but expect I will love them as much. This would be my go-to if it were not for the shipping... I'd volunteer ::KavaChug::
I've heard really good things about the Kelai and that it's one of the headiest on the market. Unfortunately, Four Shells didn't have it in stock when I was there. Maybe I'll have to bite the shipping cost bullet and place an order. Though I'm quite satisfied with Mo'i as a pure heady cultivar.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Thanks for the lovely feedback guys. I am glad to hear you like Kelai and Palarasul. Both are insanely popular in the kava bar in Auckland. More so than any other cultivars.

I ve always wanted to source the former after reading about it in Lebot's book and then talking to him about it during one of my visits to Vanuatu. I see it as the ultimate expression of the age-old tendency towards selecting kavain-rich, potent kavas in Oceania. It'a difficult to source, but worth it. I absolutely love it, though for daily consumption I think I might prefer Palarasul due to its "softer" nature, greater mellowness (but fuelled by a very solid dose of headiness). Kelai is so potent and heady that it just makes me literally drop everything and sit down to enjoy this ultimate bliss. Palarasul has the pleasant headiness, but it's a bit more gentle and allows one to smoothly ride the kava wave while at the same time enjoying a book, good music or conversation.

As for our plans and shipping, I am currently focusing on trying to negotiate better shipping rates with New Zealand post. We've already managed to reduce the cost (in comparison to what we had to pay 1 year ago) and 1lb of kava can be shipped to the US for $40 NZD (about $25USD), but I am hoping to be able to bring it under $20USD soon. Bulk shipping has always been much cheaper per lb, but I understand not everyone wants to buy, say, 10lbs of kava in one go.

Last edited by a moderator:

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
As for our plans and shipping, I am currently focusing on trying to negotiate better shipping rates with New Zealand post. We've already managed to reduce the cost (in comparison to what we had to pay 1 year ago) and 1lb of kava can be shipped to the US for $40 NZD (about $25USD), but I am hoping to be able to bring it under $20USD soon. Bulk shipping has always been much cheaper per lb, but I understand not everyone wants to buy, say, 10lbs of kava in one go.
That's awesome news! I'll probably order something from you guys in the near future. I have some other kava I need to clear out of the cupboard since it's been in there. I barely have space up there. The Palarasul's running low though, so it shouldn't be too far out. I'm aiming to shake some up this weekend probably!