What's new

Papa Kea + Aluball (2 balls) = no numb mouth/throat

shakedown

Hey,

I have been making kava in the aluball with 2 balls filled half way with papa kea from GHK. I am getting some mild/medium effects but im not sure if im doing it right cause im not getting a numb throat or mouth.

I am using warm water and shaking for 3 minutes.

Abbas

Kava Curious
I'm not sure about the Alu ball, but why don't you try the traditional method of using a strainer bag, or t shirt, and then compare? That would be one way that you could truly compare the difference, to see if it has something to do with your process. Also how many tablespoons are you using during the entirety of your session?

shakedown

I believe its about 4 tablespoons per sessions. Good idea. I'm going to buy a strainer from Kavafied and try that also.

I guess my question really is....is my mouth/throat supposed to get numb using this method? Like if its not numb, am I doing something wrong?

EQ

Atman
I believe its about 4 tablespoons per sessions. Good idea. I'm going to buy a strainer from Kavafied and try that also.

I guess my question really is....is my mouth/throat supposed to get numb using this method? Like if its not numb, am I doing something wrong?
Yeah it should be numb.
Some Kavas work better than others in the Aluball.

verticity

I'm interested in things
You might get better results with the AluBall if you just use one ball at a time. That has been my experience. With one ball, it has plenty of room to move around and I think the force of the water sloshing through it is greater. When you have two balls (and I'm trying really hard not to commit a double entendre here) there is less space for the water to slosh around in, and hence the water sloshes with less acceleration and force. You are right to use half-filled balls though...over-packing your balls can weaken your brew as well.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Another thing is, the numbness is not really overwhelming from drinking kava. It's not like when you get an injection of novocaine in the gums at the dentist, where you literally can't feel your mouth and you talk funny. It's a more subtle numbing sensation than that..

EQ

Atman
You might get better results with the AluBall if you just use one ball at a time. That has been my experience. With one ball, it has plenty of room to move around and I think the force of the water sloshing through it is greater. When you have two balls (and I'm trying really hard not to commit a double entendre here) there is less space for the water to slosh around in, and hence the water sloshes with less acceleration and force. You are right to use half-filled balls though...over-packing your balls can weaken your brew as well.
I know how much you love talking about your balls. You are a strong person. (y).

I agree that playing with one ball at a time giving lots of space and attention to each ball will unload a thick brew.
@verticity I couldn't resist.

verticity

I'm interested in things
I know how much you love talking about your balls. You are a strong person. (y).

I agree that playing with one ball at a time giving lots of space and attention to each ball will unload a thick brew.
@verticity I couldn't resist.
Yup, when your balls are as massive as mine, you really only need one.

Reactions: EQ

shakedown

Thanks for input. I was actually thinking that using 2 balls might be detrimental. I will try 1 ball tonight.
Another thing is, the numbness is not really overwhelming from drinking kava. It's not like when you get an injection of novocaine in the gums at the dentist, where you literally can't feel your mouth and you talk funny. It's a more subtle numbing sensation than that..
I'm glad you said that. I am getting some light numbness. I think my expectations for numbness is too high as the first Kava product i tried was an extract which numbed my entire mouth like novocaine.