What's new

Passion flower and Kava

Status
Not open for further replies.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I'd advise against it as desmethoxyyanognin (the major kavalactone that we never talk about) is also a MAO inhibitor

endwatcher

Is there death before life?
I do it all the time, and love the effects.
Passion flower is also a mao inhibitor
But as far as I've looked, havent seen anything bad about its use with Kava.

Its a great combo, might I add; it has quite the synergy

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
I personally like to stick with tradition and the tradition is that you do not add anything to kava except water. :D
I am not saying it is bad but I do know that there are some things that kava is known to have bad effects with, I would not want to find out down the road that Passion Flower is one of them, for example there is a medicine, I forgot the name but it is like a strong Tylenol and that is known to cause problems when you drink kava and take that pill. This is just my view, aloha.

Chris

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
@endwatcher Not familiar with passion flower but am interested in this synergy. I see Gaia Herbs has liquid capsules on Amazon well-priced and it's a pretty trustworthy brand. Is this like what you are using? I understand the idea that we want to keep this forum mainly kava related so feel free to PM me with any info if you don't post here, if you wouldn't mind. Thanks!

infraredz

BULA!
Yeah, Desmethoxy-yangonin and methysiticin are reversible MAO-B inhibitors, but don't seem to have a high enough affinity to be of any clinical significance in regard to mixing it with passion flower. Mixing it with something like Syrian Rue might be a different story, but unless there's some idiosyncrasies going on with you, there shouldn't be an issue.

"The two most potent kava pyrones, desmethoxyyangonin and (+/-)-methysticin displayed a competetive inhibition pattern with mean Ki 0.28 microM and 1.14 microM respectively."
[http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9832350]

Regarding Ki, here's an excerpt from that older "how it works" thread regarding affinities (in this case referring to yangonin and cannabinoids):
"Also, and more importantly, the affinity is in the micromolar range vs. the nanomolar range which is more common for actual cannibinoids (ie. THC).
THC has an Ki of 10nM for CB1. By comparison, the Ki of Yangonin is 0.72 μM.

Keep in mind there are 1000 micromoles (μM) to 1 nanomole (nM)."

Here's a good reference if anyone is interested:
http://www.bindingdb.org/bind/index.jsp

infraredz

BULA!
Also, DMY is found in exceedingly low concentrations in kava (as far as I remember). Usually it is the last or next-to-last lactone in chemotypes

Status
Not open for further replies.