What's new

Perfect Strainer?

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Hi Everyone. We're thinking about adding a slightly less expensive strainer option. The homemade bags are great and super durable but they ain't cheap. I know some of you have talked about what you see as the perfect micron size. What does everyone prefer? Thanks for the input.

Judd

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
50 micron, either seamless or sewn up with a least 5 passes of kevlar, tighter than a frog's butt.

Or alternatively, wring like a maniac with some old calico and when it tears, grab some new cloth and squeeze it again.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
I just bought a 50 micron strainer bag and it's made nice, smooth kava grog! I know my one concern is letting solid material through from the top so I'm often holding the top with one hand and kneading the kava one-handed.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I still have two of the handmade BKH strainers, and I consider that a lifetime supply. I'm going to go with the suggestions here and echo them with the rounded bottom design, and 100 mics on size.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
I still have two of the handmade BKH strainers, and I consider that a lifetime supply. I'm going to go with the suggestions here and echo them with the rounded bottom design, and 100 mics on size.
Do I need to go to BHK and order some of them fancy bags right now?

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I don't think I've tried a 50 micron strainer but I have a feeling it would take out just too much sediment. I seem to be ok between 75 and 100.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I use a womens ankle or knee sheer stocking as a first pass. This removes the bulk of the makas, and makes the second pass through a finer dernier nut milk bag easier. I actually use a cotton cambodian coffee filtering bag for this second pass, but same idea as a nut milk bag. This second pass takes out the fines, with the residual being like clay.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Kodiak

Kava Curious
So the aluball is 80 micron, there are 75 micron and 50 micron nut milk bags. I think it'd be cool to see a 60 or 65 micron bag option to try out.

Kodiak

Kava Curious
I just bought a 50 micron strainer bag and it's made nice, smooth kava grog! I know my one concern is letting solid material through from the top so I'm often holding the top with one hand and kneading the kava one-handed.
Got a link to the 50 micron? Thanks!

fait

Position 5 Hard Support