Change background image

Perfect Strainer?

Discussion in 'Kava Lounge' started by Bula Kava House, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Bula Kava House

Bula Kava House Portland, OR Kava Vendor

Hi Everyone. We're thinking about adding a slightly less expensive strainer option. The homemade bags are great and super durable but they ain't cheap. I know some of you have talked about what you see as the perfect micron size. What does everyone prefer? Thanks for the input.

Judd
    Mrbinx69 likes this.
  2. kastom_lif

kastom_lif Kava Enthusiast

50 micron, either seamless or sewn up with a least 5 passes of kevlar, tighter than a frog's butt.

Or alternatively, wring like a maniac with some old calico and when it tears, grab some new cloth and squeeze it again.
    Krunkaroo and Intrepidus_dux like this.
  3. Intrepidus_dux

Intrepidus_dux Kava Enthusiast

I also prefer 50 micron. It helps with nausea. The bags with a rounded bottom are easier to clean.
    Krunkaroo and kastom_lif like this.
  4. verticity

verticity I'm interested in things

75-100
    I've tried 50 to as low as 25 microns, and they do make the drink smoother, but also weaker and harder to squeeze.
    Intrepidus_dux likes this.
  5. fait

fait Position 5 Hard Support

I just bought a 50 micron strainer bag and it's made nice, smooth kava grog! I know my one concern is letting solid material through from the top so I'm often holding the top with one hand and kneading the kava one-handed.
    Intrepidus_dux likes this.
  6. sɥɐʞɐs

sɥɐʞɐs ‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾ Review Maestro

100 micron rounded bottom nylon strainer. (y)
    Mrbinx69 likes this.
  7. Zaphod

Zaphod Kava Enthusiast

75-100 micron and no seams in the area you plan to knead. The stitching on the seams is always the first thing to go, or start letting larger particles into my grog. I like the built in ties/drawstring at the top versus the plastic hoops.
    BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC likes this.
  8. fait

I agree wholeheartedly with these. Rounded bottom and the seams shouldn't be at the bottom where the kava root is getting kneaded.
  9. VictoryRider

VictoryRider Kava Enthusiast

I use 75 micron nut milk bags (can't remember the brand). They are awesome, and VERY durable. And cheap.
  10. Kapmcrunk

Kapmcrunk The Kaptain of Crunk KavaForums Founder

I still have two of the handmade BKH strainers, and I consider that a lifetime supply. I'm going to go with the suggestions here and echo them with the rounded bottom design, and 100 mics on size.
  11. fait

Do I need to go to BHK and order some of them fancy bags right now?
  12. Kapmcrunk

Personally, they're the best, but I could just be a weakling when it comes to the knead :)
  13. fait

Are they not that sturdy? I think Kavafied's strainer is pretty durable for how fast it dries.
    Krunʞy likes this.
  14. Kapmcrunk

They're extremely sturdy. The weave doesn't open up over time like the nylon strainers do, so your grind size remains more consistent in batches.
    Mrbinx69 and Krunkie McKrunkface like this.