What's new

Pests and Diseases of Kava in Hawaii

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hi everyone, I have tons of articles on kava. A friend of mine Dr Scot Nelson wrote this one on pest and diseases of kava in Hawaii. There are a lot of good pictures and information. When you grow kava, it is not just a matter of putting it in the ground and then walk away and come back in 4 years to harvest.
I thought this would give you a good idea of what I go through to grow kava in Hawaii, growers in the south Pacific are the same, they also have to deal with this stuff. Anyway it is a good read with some cool pictures. Enjoy.

Chris
Pests and Diseases of Kava in Hawaii

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Thanks Chris for reminding Forum Folks that kava/'awa is 1st and foremost, a plant. Not just a powder one receives in the U.S. Mail.
Or a coconut shell delivered beverage from a Kava-Bar.
Chris is so very right that it is not possible to plant 'awa and just walk away! Although many try.
Keiki 'awa need daily care for the 1st few weeks to a month or more.
This is the life of a good farmer in any case.
Right now, here in East Hawai'i at least, we are living with the benefits of ...plenty rain(!), contrary to the long-range winter forecast!
So many of the pests and diseases Chris has so kindly shared with us via Scot can be eliminated, controlled, prevented with-- WP Sulphur sprays and Light Sun-spray oils. Keeping your field plants clean of weeds, etc. Important to remember 'awa is a heavy feeder (likes organic fertilizer).
As Jerry Konanui used to advise-- feed the 'awa well and often and it can grow through and get beyond lots of potential problems.

JohnMichael

Kava Synchronized
Sounds very serious: "Tip: Processing of nematode-infected kava roots results an a foul tasting and discolored product with a reduced phytomedicinal effect."

RUSTYHOLO

Kava Curious
aloha,

I was wondering if you had any suggestions on which "WP Sulphur sprays and Light Sun-spray oils" you guys use

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
@RUSTYHOLO
I use Sun-Spray light oil, but any will work as long as they are not too heavy as to cause injury .
As for sulpur spray I like:

Kumulus® – a protectant fungicide for effective control of diseases and rust mite, fungal disease....
-- disclaimer- my 'awa is ornamental.

Last edited:

RUSTYHOLO

Kava Curious
Mahalo for the advice ! This is Cory, got some cuttings from you a few years back. Got some shot hole on a few of my plants here in Kahaluʻu on Oahu. The plants are still doing well, but tryning to get it under control

RUSTYHOLO

Kava Curious
Funny story about this plant. There was this hiwa growing at this place since I was a kid. They filmed the movie “Hunger games“ at this site, and cut all the stalks and tossed them in the stream. I was pretty upset, but a couple months later I came back and their was a keiki coming straight out of the water. I made a puʻu of stones around it, and since then, the plant is thriving, straight out of the stream.

Attachments

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Funny story about this plant. There was this hiwa growing at this place since I was a kid. They filmed the movie “Hunger games“ at this site, and cut all the stalks and tossed them in the stream. I was pretty upset, but a couple months later I came back and their was a keiki coming straight out of the water. I made a puʻu of stones around it, and since then, the plant is thriving, straight out of the stream.
That's a great story with a happy ending! Thanks for the picture also.
That sulfur works good on Phoma/shot-hole.
The stalk-spots, if any, may never disappear but it will be controlled.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
What does nematode kava taste like? I'd like to be able to know what to look for, lol.
It is hard to explain the taste but I guess the best way is that it taste like a foul tasting dirt. The damage it makes in the roots leaves behind dirt and dead nematodes, this stuff in your kava taste real dirty compared to clean root.

Chris

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
What does nematode kava taste like? I'd like to be able to know what to look for, lol.
It is a spoiled, rancid, rot taste like rotten portions of vegetables or some fruit. Foul.
Imagine these tiny critters clustered together in a lump or knot they form in a lateral root.
Many of them will fit in there and they have a whole infrastructure, social order, and gestalt:
something unified in a way in which the elements cannot be broken down into its parts.
You've got to grade and cut out all the bad stuff. I believe ungraded root which has some nematode
is sold sometimes and folks get nauseated.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Can you see on the plants leaves if it has got nematodes?
No, you can only see them on the roots. I have some kava that you can see some of the roots showing above the ground, sometimes you can see the nematodes that way. the only other way is to dig up the roots. Sometimes if the kava has a lot of nematode damage it will affect the kava plant but not all the time.
They can get bad enough that all the lateral roots are no good.

Chris

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Is nematode damage something you can prevent? Or is it something you have to just deal with after the fact?