What's new

Phenibut and Kava - NOsir. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrevC

Kava Enthusiast
As I'm slowly tapering off K@, I've introduced Phenibut to my rotation. ONLY ON MONDAYS. (Never, ever, ever take Phenibut daily. I've read the withdrawals are terrible. K@ withdrawals were bad when I quit cold-turkey for 5 days... got very little sleep. Which is why I started back with a slow taper. But Phenibut is supposed to be worse.)
Phenibut is a legal supplement developed in Russia - reportedly for cosmonauts who suffer from anxiety. Weight lifters use it, as do many others. It has a track record, but can be abused. If you have an addictive personality, don't touch Phenibut. (I became bodily-dependent on K@ after accepting daily use was ok, due to the misinformation out there on it. K@ WILL cause bodily dependence, despite what people say, so if you take it daily for a long time and feel like you can skip a dose, your body will let you know otherwise at night with RLS and "jolts" that keep you awake. Stick to a couple times a week if you use K@!)

I added Phenibut about a month-and-a-half back, starting at a gram one Monday, then a 1.5 grams the next, then two, then finally 2.5. (Again, only once a week for me. Some say twice a week is ok, but I was erring on the side of caution.) It takes two hours to kick in on an empty stomach, so I take it early before work. Being self-employed is beneficial in trying these things. About 2 hours 30 minutes after my dose, it seemed I was feeling some anxiety lift, despite having totally skipped my morning K@ dose. Usually I have a "dark cloud" when I skip K@. This was the first time I *felt* Phenibut.

About this time, I went to make my Monday pre-lunch Kava. I went with a low (for me) dose of Kava Supreme, at about 25 grams. Forty is when I usually feel it. After a single wash, I waited 10 minutes and that's when it happened. The feeling was nothing like I've ever experienced. I had the music going, and maybe that played into it. I rarely dance, especially lately. I started dancing to Otis Redding's "Sitting on the Dock of the Bay". It was one of the most pleasant experiences I've had in a long time. My wife got the biggest kick out of it. I felt super "heady", almost woozy. Had a smile on my face that wouldn't go away. As a little time went on, I started to get a little worried. I'm a naturally anxious person (hence K@ and Kava), so when I started to feel off-kilter, I was like "What the heck have I done?!?" Yet, at the same time, I felt wonderful. It's hard to explain.

The experience lasted HOURS after. So it had to be a mix of the two substances, as Kava usually gives me a good hour at the most of sense-of-well-being/uplift. It was like the Kava KICKED IN whatever Phenibut had going on in the background. It carried on until late that afternoon. I got a lot of work done, enthusiastically. But the floor seemed to want to rise up to meet my face. I never fell, but it was like as kid when you spin around and stop.

I had to get a nap a couple hours after lunch. I woke up feeling refreshed, but noted that I really didn't like how intense that combination was. Some people may enjoy that, but it was TOO exciting. I won't do that one again, and wanted to share.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Phenibut Tolerance and addiction potential:
(bold emphasis added)

Phenibut is moderately physically and psychologically addictive, although this usually only occurs with heavy abuse of the substance.

Tolerance will develop to the sedative-hypnotic effects within a couple of days of continuous use. After cessation, the tolerance returns to baseline in 7 - 14 days. Withdrawal symptoms or rebound symptoms may occur after ceasing usage abruptly following a few weeks or longer of steady dosing and may necessitate a gradual dose reduction. Withdrawal symptoms include severe anxiety, nervousness, hallucinations, tremors, agitation, dizziness, tension, irritation, rapid heartbeat, fatigue, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, psychosis, and insomnia.[6]

Phenibut produces cross-tolerance with all GABAgenic depressants, meaning that after its consumption, depressants will have a reduced effect.

TrevC

Kava Enthusiast
Phenibut Tolerance and addiction potential:
(bold emphasis added)

Phenibut is moderately physically and psychologically addictive, although this usually only occurs with heavy abuse of the substance.

Tolerance will develop to the sedative-hypnotic effects within a couple of days of continuous use. After cessation, the tolerance returns to baseline in 7 - 14 days. Withdrawal symptoms or rebound symptoms may occur after ceasing usage abruptly following a few weeks or longer of steady dosing and may necessitate a gradual dose reduction. Withdrawal symptoms include severe anxiety, nervousness, hallucinations, tremors, agitation, dizziness, tension, irritation, rapid heartbeat, fatigue, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, psychosis, and insomnia.[6]

Phenibut produces cross-tolerance with all GABAgenic depressants, meaning that after its consumption, depressants will have a reduced effect.
Absolutely. I've read stories of people using it to get off of something else, but they use it daily, for weeks, and then have to taper off of IT. Wish I had known about K@ what I knew about Phenibut ahead of time. :/ Thanks for sharing!

What Phen does for me, is permits me a Monday without K@, so when I go back to my (lower each week) dose, it is very manageable. But I won't be taking Kava while on it. Just too much for me.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Wish I had known about K@ what I knew about Phenibut ahead of time. :/ Thanks for sharing!
You're definitely not the only person who wishes they had prior accurate info on the herb they're ingesting. I subscribe to r/quittingkratom on reddit to keep up with the reality of what's going on. It's crushing to read someone's post that starts like "I've never done drugs or been addicted to any substance in my life until I found it". Those get to me. Truthfully, anyone experiencing withdrawal pulls on my emotions because of what I've personally gone through. It sucks. Royally.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
While it's easy to dump on K@ around here, everyone should realize that there are many thousands of people who successfully use it to treat many medical conditions (it is safer and more effective in treating more conditions than just pain management). Yes, it's an opiod agonist, yes, it will require proper tapering or there will be some kind of withdrawal. I've come off of of benzos and pharmaceutical opiods (not used recreational) while physically dependent and the physical dependence I get with K@ is nowhere near as bad. IMO it would be better for K@ users who realize they made a mistake in choosing something they didn't need to join an established community forum with people who have used it for a decade+ to get advice. The quittingkratom sub is mostly the blind leading the blind and one of the rules is that there cannot be any positive experiences posted so of course it's nothing but horror stories from people who have for the most part never experienced a highly physically addictive drug.

Phenibut can be a very useful tool for some people but it's not good to mix with kava because after a brief euphoric period, it'll result in extreme sedation. The biggest downside I've seen to phenibut is that it lasts so long. You have to be very careful dosing something that will not wear off for about 32 hours.

I think having some sort of FAQ on this forum comparing kava to other substances would be helpful for people searching for a solution to the problems they're having. Kava will likely always be the safest choice to start with but it would be good to have expectations set on what to expect or not expect it to do.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
@SelfBiasResistor My hope is that, for people like yourself, with the thirst for real knowledge and truth, it remains available.

Kava will likely always be the safest choice to start.
I was driving home the other day going back over in my head the litany of poor choices I've made in the past with substances, and kava is the only substance which I can say I have no regrets over. Love that kava :)

Status
Not open for further replies.