What's new

Please define "Heavy" kava.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I think I'm clear on the definition of "Heady" kava.
But the term "Heavy" I can't figure out.
Is "Heavy" the opposite of "Heady", meaning it has more effects on the body, below the head, as opposed to the head ?
Or does it mean it's so strong it weighs you down, and just makes you want to sit or lye down or sleep ?
Or something else ?

Last edited:
N

Noname

Heavy as in relaxing. There is light heavy, medium heavy, and heavy heavy. Yea some heavy kavas just make you wanna relax usually for night time use. Heavy kava is like a stony type of feeling. And I don't mean mean stony as in like that green plant. It's just a statue type of feeling that's a better way to describe it.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Heavy as in relaxing. There is light heavy, medium heavy, and heavy heavy. Yea some heavy kavas just make you wanna relax usually for night time use. Heavy kava is like a stony type of feeling. And I don't mean mean stony as in like that green plant. It's just a statue type of feeling that's a better way to describe it.
Thanks. So is it possible a kava strain can be both Heavy and Heady at the same time ?
Or are they actually opposite terms / antonyms ?

N

Noname

Yes there are kavas that are both heavy and heady. I think those are the perfect kavas.heavy kava is gonna have a little headiness and a heady kava will have a little heavinesss. I've never tried a 100% heavy or a 100% heady

Dr.Krunk

Certified Quack
Thanks. So is it possible a kava strain can be both Heavy and Heady at the same time ?
Or are they actually opposite terms / antonyms ?
Absolutely! Kava’s can be heavy, heady, or somewhere in between. It’s more of a spectrum. Kava can be a bit finicky for some. Most might experience a particular effect and someone else might have a drastically opposite experience. It’s strange but it happens.

Once you experience a heavy kava you will know! For me when I have a good heavy Kava I can feel muscles in my back physically relaxing. I feel incredibly relaxed and just want to experience the life around me, in the moment if you will. You may get a “couch lock,” where you don’t want to get up, which can be good or bad depending on the situation.

I tend to feel a bit of both regardless of the chemotype but one is generally much more obvious/prevalent then the other unless you have the perfect blend. Many use different chemotypes for certain instances I.E. heady when going out or early in the day; heavy at the end of the day but YMMV.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks to both of you.
I guess the other thing I'm wondering, is should I only drink a "heaVy" kava if I'm prepared to either rest or sleep ?
Or can a person still function pretty well, on a heaVy kava ?

Dr.Krunk

Certified Quack
Thanks to both of you.
I guess the other thing I'm wondering, is should I only drink a "heaVy" kava if I'm prepared to either rest or sleep ?
Or can a person still function pretty well, on a heaVy kava ?
Well it’s gonna vary for anybody. Many don’t want to do anything but relax after consuming a heavy Kava. @Noname comparing a heavy Kava to a statue feeling is fairly accurate. With that said I can generally consume either and still function in most environments the way that I’d like.

I wouldn’t suggest a heavy kava for work if you are one that likes to drink Kava in that setting. For me I don’t drink any type of kava at work due to working with high voltages/amperage, heights, and many other hazards.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
there's also a time element as the kavalactones play out on a different schedule and those balanced kavas tend to be heady in the front and heavy at the tail end, and any eupohoria tends to be front loaded. As far as I know it is virtually unknown for a kava to start out heavy and then after a bunch of shells turn heady. But that's what makes a ssh a sesh, you wouldn't want to be euphoric all the time, then it wouldn't be euphoria, would it? Now mellow and relaxed, that's something good for the long haul.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
@Plantacious one thing to remember is that a lot of drinkers take longer to get the hang of heavy kavas. I drank a few heavies in my first few months and didn't really feel much or just light relaxation. When a strong heavy kava hits you'll know about it once you've got it. My basic definition is that heavy kavas are felt more in the muscles and they tend to be more sedative. You can get completely heavy kavas such as hanakapi ai but most are somewhere in a range. I like Hiwa and Nene, Hiwa being a lot stronger. Also there are some nice Tongans and Fijians around that are balanced tending towards heavy which is my favourite type of kava.