What's new

Please define "Toss and Wash" for newkavers and tell why you do or don't do it.

verticity

I'm interested in things
"Toss and wash" can also refer tossing the powder in some water, and drinking without straining.
I don't toss and wash, because I don't want people to think I'm a tosser.

D

Deleted User01

Toss and wash normally refers to ingesting kava root that has coarse fibers in it. In other words, regular unstrainged kava powder mixed with water and chugged fibers and all. It is not that desirable because the coarse fibers may give you nausea and they serve no purpose anyway. If the vendor is less than stellar, those fibers might be from above the root line and that ain't good. I don't put Micronized in the 'toss and wash' category because the micronized from GHK has no makas or coarse fibers.

So in my book, any unstrained kava with makas would fit into the "toss and wash" category and it doesn't matter how fine they grind it.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I'd never come across "toss and wash" before reading this forum - it sounds just plain wrong - I enjoy the anticipation in mixing up a batch, but it did remind me of the singularly most disgusting kava drinking antics I have seen. It was in Vanuatu and an Australian army dive team had come over to help us lay an undersea water pipeline to a small offshore island off Malekula. They were basically a bunch of rednecks who didn't have a clue about Vanuatu, so I thought I'd introduce them to a nakamal one evening. They had a couple of shells each, being really noisy and attracting the attention of everyone in the nakamal, and then stood in a circle until one of them puked their kava back into the shell. He then passed the shell, overflowing with regurgitated kava, to the next guy who repeated this until the circle was complete. They called it "playing pelicans" - some kind of military bonding thing. The local guys couldn't believe what they were seeing and I slipped away to avoid being associated with them.
I guess compared to that "toss & wash" is OK.

Last edited:

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
it did remind me of the singularly most disgusting kava drinking antics I have seen. It was in Vanuatu and an Australian army dive team had come over to help us lay an undersea water pipeline to a small offshore island off Malekula. They were basically a bunch of rednecks who didn't have a clue about Vanuatu, so I thought I'd introduce them to a nakamal one evening. They had a couple of shells each, being really noisy and attracting the attention of everyone in the nakamal, and then stood in a circle until one of them puked their kava back into the shell. He then passed the shell, overflowing with regurgitated kava, to the next guy who repeated this until the circle was complete. They called it "playing pelicans" - some kind of military bonding thing. The local guys couldn't believe what they were seeing and I slipped away to avoid being associated with them. I guess compared to that "toss & wash" is OK.
:yuck: :dead:

Wow. And I thought drinking chewed kava or using unwashed cups at the nakamals were questionable activities from the point of view of hygiene..

verticity

I'm interested in things
They had a couple of shells each, being really noisy and attracting the attention of everyone in the nakamal, and then stood in a circle until one of them puked their kava back into the shell. He then passed the shell, overflowing with regurgitated kava, to the next guy who repeated this until the circle was complete. They called it "playing pelicans"
OK, just to be clear, and out of morbid curiosity: are you saying they each drank their own kava and puked it into a community shell, or--shudder--are you saying they each drank eachother's puke and then puked it back up? Because that would be.. uhg..

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
OK, just to be clear, and out of morbid curiosity: are you saying they each drank their own kava and puked it into a community shell, or--shudder--are you saying they each drank eachother's puke and then puked it back up? Because that would be.. uhg..
It was the second one unfortunately. If you have to join an army, try to avoid the Australian one.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Fortunately I am too old to join any army, but I have the utmost respect for the boys in uniform of any country. But holy shit what a bunch of ... I want to say douchebags, but that's not right .. silly geese? ... I can't even think of the right word.

Bert07

Me like da kava
Am I the only one who doesn't do a second wash? I just knead the hell out of it for around 15-20 minutes.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Am I the only one who doesn't do a second wash? I just knead the hell out of it for around 15-20 minutes.
Same here. I only do one wash.

The only times I do two washes is when I'm preparing frozen fresh kava.