What's new

poppy seeds and kava?

texastoad

hello, I am new here and to kava. i guess i have anxieties and am a little hypochondriac which is why ive loved kava in the first place. i say this because my question might be dumb but i just dont know and just want to be safe with kava and all things. see i had a couple of poppy seed bagels earlier today. well i have heard that poppy seeds can cause people to fail drug tests and it makes me concerned about having kava in close proximity to ingesting poppy seeds if there is something in them that is not good? I just wanted to see what the thoughts are here about whether it is still safe to drink my kava after eating some poppy seeds in food? My guess is the amounts of everything are harmless but I just hope for a second opinion for more experienced kava drinkers. Thank you for your help.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
hello, I am new here and to kava. i guess i have anxieties and am a little hypochondriac which is why ive loved kava in the first place. i say this because my question might be dumb but i just dont know and just want to be safe with kava and all things. see i had a couple of poppy seed bagels earlier today. well i have heard that poppy seeds can cause people to fail drug tests and it makes me concerned about having kava in close proximity to ingesting poppy seeds if there is something in them that is not good? I just wanted to see what the thoughts are here about whether it is still safe to drink my kava after eating some poppy seeds in food? My guess is the amounts of everything are harmless but I just hope for a second opinion for more experienced kava drinkers. Thank you for your help.
Totally harmless. While yes, a few too many poppy seeds can absolutely make you fail a drug test due to codeine/morphine content, there is no reason to worry about it harming you in any way by having kava and a poppy seeds in a food item. The amount of active alkaloids in poppy seeds in food is so slight it's only enough to cause that "true" false-positive from drug tests.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I will second the Kapms opinion here. The levels from eating a few poppy seeds are minuscule (which goes to show you how crazy these tests are that they can pick it up) and way below the level to worry about. I eat poppy seed bagels for breakfast at least twice a week, and am a daily kava drinker. No issues.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Most poppy seeds are thoroughly washed and contain no opiate alkaloids. Some are not and contain trace amounts that can cause you to fail a drug test. Either way the amount ingested on a bagel or any other food item won't be enough to interact with kava or be noticeable in any way.