What's new

Post kava meal fail

Piper Methysticum

Let Kava Take The Wheel
So last night I drink my kava and everything is lined up and ready to go- on the desk a glass of water and a plate of spaghetti & meatballs are on standby. Fast forward to the next morning.... after I wake up and clear my head I realize the glass of water and entire plate of spaghetti & meatballs are still on the desk.
Spaghetti-Meatballs.jpg

Andrew Procyk

Noble Kava
Kava Vendor
Nooooooo! It looked so tasty too! Perhaps that is one of the reason why kava drinkers are notoriously skinny?!?

Frankly, I really dig a nice warm meal after the grog. As the lactones are lipid-like, it seems the hot meal decreases the viscosity, and makes what is still in the belly easier to absorb. Of course, if you are passing out, there is probably no need for a warm meal to decrease the viscosity. ;-)

In Vanuatu, I heard that there is a cultural saying about the kava-headed fellows: that they drink kava, some home, and pass out without properly servicing their ladies. Some nakamals have started distributing condoms, and some even sell "herbal help" pills to encourage men who drink kava to treat their wives properly when they return home. And... sorry for taking it in that direction. I swear, I was NOT implying anything.

Cheers! Good eating to you!

infraredz

BULA!
Ohhh man, I had a bit too much Melo Melo get through my strainer and I'm fighting with myself to eat just a cliff bar... then I see this :eek:

Not that the food going to waste isn't a bad thing, it's just like when you're in the hospital and you see an ad for Taco Bell or something ridiculously gross. That's how I feel at even the thought of crackers. Maybe I just need to vomit. There was quite a bit of sediment that got through (probably a hole) in my strainer and it is NOT doing well for my GI. On that note, happy thursday and hope everyone is having a nice evening :)

infraredz

BULA!
Nooooooo! It looked so tasty too! Perhaps that is one of the reason why kava drinkers are notoriously skinny?!?

Frankly, I really dig a nice warm meal after the grog. As the lactones are lipid-like, it seems the hot meal decreases the viscosity, and makes what is still in the belly easier to absorb. Of course, if you are passing out, there is probably no need for a warm meal to decrease the viscosity. ;-)

In Vanuatu, I heard that there is a cultural saying about the kava-headed fellows: that they drink kava, some home, and pass out without properly servicing their ladies. Some nakamals have started distributing condoms, and some even sell "herbal help" pills to encourage men who drink kava to treat their wives properly when they return home. And... sorry for taking it in that direction. I swear, I was NOT implying anything.

Glad I'm not the only one with that issue. Sometimes everything is great, other times, not so much... :oops:

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
I'm not really a spaghetti fan but that looks really good. Maybe I'm a tad weird but I drink kava while I'm eating dinner. Boroguru...pairs well with a couple of tender beef ribs...mmmmm...

Andrew Procyk

Noble Kava
Kava Vendor
Kava with dinner? I can definitely see that, but I'd much rather keep the stomach empty until it hits. Then, usually a hot cup of tea, again because of the warmth assisting absorption. Then, maybe dinner. I have actually been known to SKIP LUNCH if it is after noon and kava time is at 3-4ish. But, no more of that. Time to put some weight back on now dammit! Enjoy, fellas!
Warmly,
Iahi

Ed!

Kava Enthusiast
Kava with dinner? That's just doesn't sound natural to me. Kava requires so much preparation that I can't see myself making it a side item for my foodstuffs.

I always have to remind myself to eat after a good session.

Piper Methysticum

Let Kava Take The Wheel

Andrew, now that you mention it I don't think I've seen an overweight kava drinker from that part of the world. It's gotta be the grog!! Good stuff- any rare info on the rituals of kava no matter how far out they may seem to the rest of us is always OK in my book!

Piper Methysticum

Let Kava Take The Wheel
Ohhh man, I had a bit too much Melo Melo get through my strainer and I'm fighting with myself to eat just a cliff bar... then I see this :eek:

Not that the food going to waste isn't a bad thing, it's just like when you're in the hospital and you see an ad for Taco Bell or something ridiculously gross. That's how I feel at even the thought of crackers. Maybe I just need to vomit. There was quite a bit of sediment that got through (probably a hole) in my strainer and it is NOT doing well for my GI. On that note, happy thursday and hope everyone is having a nice evening :)
I need to try something like a Cliff Bar instead for post kava if this happens again- if you don't get to it before you go out cold there's probably not nearly as much regret as there is with a big homemade meal.

Piper Methysticum

Let Kava Take The Wheel
I'm not really a spaghetti fan but that looks really good. Maybe I'm a tad weird but I drink kava while I'm eating dinner. Boroguru...pairs well with a couple of tender beef ribs...mmmmm...
I had Fu'u with a meal once and surprisingly it didn't seem to interfere with the effects at all. Next time it was a different story- still trying to figure that out.

Piper Methysticum

Let Kava Take The Wheel
Kava with dinner? That's just doesn't sound natural to me. Kava requires so much preparation that I can't see myself making it a side item for my foodstuffs.

I always have to remind myself to eat after a good session.
More than once I've been drinking and realized I didn't have the food ready and would have to drag myself out the kitchen to make it- not very easy when you feel the kava starting to work its magic!

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I can see vekta, sipping on a fine boroguru from a wine glass, commenting on his beef ribs.

Tasting notes: a pungent bouquet of fermented pine needles and pepper. A wonderfully coarse and gritty mouthfeel. Delightful notes of mulch and fertilizer, followed up by numbness. Recommended food pairing: prepare a delicious plate of spaghetti and meatballs, then fall asleep without eating it.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
That's awesome. I enjoyed reading that while laughing loudly enough to concern my nearly deaf yorkie.

infraredz

BULA!
Is it weird that I actually described different kavas in this way to my girlfriend? It really is like coffee to me, albeit coffee that is usually consumed rather quickly.

At first I found the post funny, but now I'm thinking there's something wrong with me. Maybe Vekta and I can share a glass of kava. However, tongans must be in flutes, PNGs go in tumblers, Fijian kava goes in coupes and of course Vanuatu kavas can have the standard wine glass.

Now, there's always room for variance for different strains if they require a more larger, rounded bowl for the accumulation of aromas and so on.

Piper Methysticum

Let Kava Take The Wheel

Tasting notes: a pungent bouquet of fermented pine needles and pepper. A wonderfully coarse and gritty mouthfeel. Delightful notes of mulch and fertilizer, followed up by numbness. Recommended food pairing: prepare a delicious plate of spaghetti and meatballs, then fall asleep without eating it.
Lol, that glass of dark colored kava has miss post kava meal written all over it- you know its potent just by looking at it..

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Yes, the Ni-Van and other pacific islander seem quite slim and fit, and the appetite suppressing nature of kava likely has something to do with that. But I'll go ahead and assume that it's more about the replacement of Big Macs and Pizza Hut with taro and yams. It was interesting being in the rural Santari village on Pentecost Island and seeing some of the most fit people I've ever seen. Not a gym in sight, nobody taking an early morning jog, and VERY little protein in their diets when compared to the western world. Made me rethink our whole outlook on what it takes to be healthy, but that's starting to get into another conversation altogether...

Piper Methysticum

Let Kava Take The Wheel
Good info Judd it really does make you rethink it. Somehow they all look like Usain Bolt but have never touched a dumbbell or ran on a treadmill lol. I've also read the blog about your trip there Judd and learned a lot from it.