What's new

Potentiates

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Getting your Krunk on with a strong grog? Make sure you watch what you eat after an extended session of strong Kava. Hot fatty foods and spicy soups have been the main culprits for me. If I squeeze two tanoas of Stone, Kava Supreme, Vinaka Waka or any other heavy hitter and then proceed to eat, say, a spicy curry or bowl of ramen - it makes my head spin. This is most certainly not a pleasant feeling. It makes you feel clammy and like your blood pressure is dropping.

Any other Kavasseurs get this feeling from following a session with hot, spicy, or other kinds of foods?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Getting your Krunk on with a strong grog? Make sure you watch what you eat after an extended session of strong Kava. Hot fatty foods and spicy soups have been the main culprits for me. If I squeeze two tanoas of Stone, Kava Supreme, Vinaka Waka or any other heavy hitter and then proceed to eat, say, a spicy curry or bowl of ramen - it makes my head spin. This is most certainly not a pleasant feeling. It makes you feel clammy and like your blood pressure is dropping.

Any other Kavasseurs get this feeling from following a session with hot, spicy, or other kinds of foods?
I've fallen into the "ramen trap" before. Almost didn't make it to the bed.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast

Yup!!! Not always, but definitely experience times when a greasy meal changed the krunk a a really heavy almost drunken feeling; I don't really prefer it, but its not horrible either. However, if often makes me want to just go home and not talk to anyone (if I'm eating in a social setting).

VictoryRider

Kava Enthusiast
I find that it depends on the kava. Some heavy kavas, namely Stone, but often Nangol as well, will potentiate nicely after eating
a heavy/spicy small meal. Others, like anything GHK, never potentiate at all despite being great kavas.

I kind of like the potentiation as long as I know it's coming. Stone does it every single time. Nangol about half the time.
When Stone potentiates, it is pure euphoric buzzy internal-jacuzzi bliss!! Best euphoria of any kava I've tried.

Kavashua

Mmmm Kava
Coffee works for me with the heady varieties. HOWEVER, it can make your heart race too much in either direction when mixed. I put a little cheap quality micronized in my morning joe. Not too much to bugger the taste though...
That’s interesting, for me coffee seems to work like a kava antidote. If I drink coffee it totally wipes away my krunkness. I’ve had this happen with both heavy and heady kava, amazing how much personal chemistry changes individual experience

Zaphod

Kava Lover

I get the same effect - but I wonder if it is not really making the kava feel stronger but just the additive effect of the endorphin release you get from eating spicy food. The fatty foods to me definitely kick the kava up a notch, the spicy food and caffeine seem to be more additive effects where I am getting both at the same time which provides a different experience but not necessarily a stronger kava experience.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
I get the same effect - but I wonder if it is not really making the kava feel stronger but just the additive effect of the endorphin release you get from eating spicy food. The fatty foods to me definitely kick the kava up a notch, the spicy food and caffeine seem to be more additive effects where I am getting both at the same time which provides a different experience but not necessarily a stronger kava experience.
I think I agree with what, if I recall correctly, @Krunkie McKrunkface has said: that kava seems to boost the effect of caffeine, but caffeine does not seem to boost the effect of kava.

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast

Interesting. I do feel that increased effect with certain types of food, but it is a very pleasant sensation for me. The food tends to settle my stomach a bit if it was really empty when I started. The kava makes me a bit queasy at times so food helps. But it also does intensify My kava session in a very good way, especially fatty or high protein foods.

Dr.Krunk

Certified Quack
It seems as though I’m in the minority with this one. For me anyways I’ve never really noticed food potentiating the effects of Kava regardless of the portion size. I generally do not eat after a session but may sometimes might have extra flaming hot Cheetos. If I do eat I don’t generally feel diminished effects either unless I have a large portion of something that’s loaded with carbs.

I typically make my Kava very strong so that may be part of it but I don’t really know. There are plenty of people that do notice potentiated effects so there’s clearly something to it. Maybe that thing they call science can eventually give us a better reasoning why if there isn’t currently any studies to suggest one way or another outside of antidotal evidence. There’s still so much to learn about our favorite plant.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
If I'm deeply krunked, spicy soups and fatty foods can make me feel dizzy and very sick. Potentiated krunkness can lead to violent vomiting, no matter the variety of Kava.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Interesting. I do feel that increased effect with certain types of food, but it is a very pleasant sensation for me. The food tends to settle my stomach a bit if it was really empty when I started. The kava makes me a bit queasy at times so food helps. But it also does intensify My kava session in a very good way, especially fatty or high protein foods.
Same here I found it enjoyable, however I have a feeling that when Douglas says "deeply krunk" it's a level of krunkitude we're not accustomed to visiting on a regular basis :)

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
I'm currently using about 5 heaping tablespoons for a nightly "strong" session. I can squeeze about three strong tanoas out of 5 heapers. And by 5 "heaping tablespoons," I probably mean "10 tablespoons." If I krunk that deeply, and decide to foolishly eat a curry or bowl of ramen - well, it's not a pretty sight.

On a typical evening, I drink four AluBalls of Kava. That is, two double AluBall sessions with three washes per bottle.

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
Same here I found it enjoyable, however I have a feeling that when Douglas says "deeply krunk" it's a level of krunkitude we're not accustomed to visiting on a regular basis :)
Indeed. As described in his post below, he is definitely having more than I do.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I think I agree with what, if I recall correctly, @Krunkie McKrunkface has said: that kava seems to boost the effect of caffeine, but caffeine does not seem to boost the effect of kava.
I don't think I ever said that but I wish I had. Of course, that's just for me, and then there may be many folks with the complete opposite reaction. Drives me nuts sometimes it's so hard to predict exactly how people will respond. What we know is there's this range of responses...... vast areas of overlap in our Venn diagrams but lots of outliers here and there.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
I don't think I ever said that but I wish I had. Of course, that's just for me, and then there may be many folks with the complete opposite reaction. Drives me nuts sometimes it's so hard to predict exactly how people will respond. What we know is there's this range of responses...... vast areas of overlap in our Venn diagrams but lots of outliers here and there.
Okay; but the idea seems to be expressed here: http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads...a-large-amount-of-caffeine.13945/#post-155571
and here http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads...s-that-kava-interacts-with.12417/#post-141620