What's new

Preparing Kava in Advance?

Teamfour

Kava Curious
Can I prepare several shells at once with the idea that I can put some in the fridge for use on another day?

kavalover

Outsider
In my experience anything after 2 days is pretty gross... Kava gets this very unique smell after a while of sitting out, if you've ever left out a used strainer bag overnight you'll most definitely know what I'm talking about. If not, then try it. So weird, it gets this totally fragrant "incense" smell, that really isn't half bad on its own. But is nothing whatsoever like the kava smell we all know. Weird stuff.

The taste is identical to the new smell, but so funky... I mean, we've spent so much time getting used to the "kava" taste, it's difficult to throw another whole taste in there.

kavalover

Outsider
Those bottles are great, I have a few of them too. Never would have thought of putting kava in them though, thanks for the tip.

D

Deactivated Account

I've had it the next day refridgerated & it's fine. It freezes well for longer I'm told by expats in Vanuatu.

D

Deleted User01

Tidyminion, those are beer bottles that we use to bottle our homebrew. You can also buy commercial beer in those bottles, drink it, and keep the bottles. I have done that since day 1. I make 3 to 4 (16 oz) bottles of Kava on Sunday. Then I pour them into the bottles and into the fridge. As for taste, I noticed it is not as fresh tasting after a week but it tastes fine (for Kava). I was sick this week so now I have 3 bottles that are almost 3 weeks old. I'll been hitting them this weekend so I'll let you know if they taste funny.

But the answer is, bottling Kava is a huge time saver and cold Kava is waaayyyy better than warm Kava. Just make sure to shake the bottle before you pour.

BULABUCK

ROOTLYFE.
I always prepare in advancebecause iam always at work so i go home pick a strain blend and soak squeeze in the morning before work then i potion into mason jars with lids which is 12 oz so 3 shells which allows me to decide if i want the sediment depending on my tummy and how hard the day was:yawn:.

D

Deleted User01

On preparing Kava ahead of time, I promised I would report back on bottled Kava that was 3 weeks old. Well, it's great. No off taste. It's very, very cold because I have my bottles in the outside fridge. This is Melo Melo I'm talking about. No degradation and I have good effects. Later this afternoon, I will hit the Boroguru/Koniak blend. That bottle is only 3/4 full so it does have some air/oxygen it it. I will only report back if something is wrong.

D

Deleted User01

Update on making Kava ahead of time. I had 1/2 bottle of some 3 week old Melo Melo Kava on Monday. I started with a full bottle. Today I'm drinking the other half. Today it tastes much worse. The bottle was half filled so I'm wondering if it oxidizes like Wine. Anyway, the effects are still good. Just not as tasty.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I've never actually done this before, but I have dermopathy and can't drink, so I thought I would make some and chuck it in the fridge. I think this will actually make drinking it a bit easier for me, since when you make it right before you drink it you have time to smell the kava and really get grossed out...sometimes it takes me an extra 10-15 minutes just to drink it after it's done.

I'm really surprised at how much sediment there is at the bottom. This is definitely stronger than my normal brew because I dumped out the last of a bag of boroguru into it, probably over a cup of kava, but still.

D

Deleted User01

Kavadude, I know no one wants to hear this but ... When you put it in the bottle in the fridge, the chunks fall to the bottom. If you are fighting demopathy, then do not shake the bottle and avoid drinking the sediment at the bottom. Perhaps the Kava will be less irritating to ya. Sometimes I avoid the sediment and sometimes I don't. In either case, the Kava always has good effects.

kavalover

Outsider
On preparing Kava ahead of time, I promised I would report back on bottled Kava that was 3 weeks old. Well, it's great. No off taste.
I'm confused on how you managed this. Every kava I've ever kept longer than a maximum three days gets this incredible weird taste. I would never keep my kava for longer than a week due to this experience.

Frozen is another thing though, kava does seem to do well frozen. I've had month old Solomons back in the day lol

edit: I was using plastic bottles, maybe that's where I went wrong?

Last edited:
D

Deleted User01

Kavalover, a few things. First, I use mostly coconut water to make my Kava. I do put it in an air tight glass bottle. It is kept very cold. It's Kava, it always taste weird so I may not taste the difference. I had a blend of Boroguru and Koniak the other day that was 3 months old. This blend is not going to be tasty anyway you look at it. It tasted fine (for Kava) and the effects were good as usual. All that being said, the convenience of bottled Kava far outweighs any disadvantages in my book. Good thing I don't have sensitive taste buds.

kavalover

Outsider
I'm going to give the glass bottles a try either tonight or tomorrow night, maybe mix in some coconut water to see if it helps. Thanks for the info, hopefully I'll be able to store kava in the future hehe