Change background image

Product warning - Pro Bottle

Discussion in 'Kavafied' started by Kodiak, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Kodiak

Kodiak Member

Beware that there is a manufacturing issue with the cap plastic of the Pro bottle that Kavafied is selling. I have limited manufacturing experience but it appears that there is either a problem with the plastic compound itself, or that the material is not being melted uniformly while in the mold, because there is a thin outer skin of plastic that degrades due to the expected mild abrasion of blending with aluballs. The result is a non-trivial amount of plastic flecks shedding into your drink that you are bound to then consume unless you re-strain what comes out of the bottle - defeating the purpose of the bottle.

[​IMG]

I tried to reach out to Kavafied using the same method I've had prior comms with them, Facebook Messenger, my messages were seen yesterday morning, and I've gotten no response.

So just a warning that at least the black plastic caps, if not the other colors, may have this problem. I can't imagine mine is a fluke since it looks like a pretty straightforward manufacturing problem.

There are numerous other problems with both of their bottles (pro and regular), but at least none of the other problems are actual health hazards like this one, so perhaps I'll save those for another post. From now on I'll only buy powders and aluballs from this vendor.
    Intrepidus_dux likes this.
  2. Kapmcrunk

Kapmcrunk The Kaptain of Crunk KavaForums Founder

@Kodiak for clarity, is the piece in the picture the bottom of the piece in the following picture? I assume with the "shell" cap attached.

AluBottle_Black01.jpg

Not trying to undermine your experience in industry in any way, but is there any chance they could be dents from the force of the aluball hitting the top? I've got an unused green one at home I'll check.
  3. Kodiak

Kodiak Member

Hi Kap,
    The peeling is happening exactly at the aluball contact points, just as you would expect with normal use. I suspect that they could have headed this peeling problem by choosing a different plastic compound, such as carbon impregnated plastic or nylon similar to what blender bottles use, which don't have this issue after extended use with aluballs or blender balls.
    They either have an issue with plastic choice or molding process, or the molds weren't up to operating temperature when my run of caps went through, causing the plastic to harden in layers creating a peelable shell.
  4. Kodiak

Kodiak Member

Hope the attached pic works

Attached Files:

5. Kapmcrunk

Kapmcrunk The Kaptain of Crunk KavaForums Founder

Here's hoping it's a one off issue. "Nightmare" might not be the correct word if it's an issue that goes all the way back to design.
  6. Krunkie McKrunkface

Krunkie McKrunkface Kava Enthusiast

With a regular AluBall setup, and when I use mason jars, I always use a cheapo plastic sandwich baggie, mainly to prevent leaking of liquid through the screws of the lid, but secondarily to protect the balls so they bounce against the soft plastic sheet across the top, rather than the lid. Might that help?
    Kodiak likes this.
  7. Kodiak

Kodiak Member

It might but that sounds super duper fiddly. I've found success with large Blender Bottle brand shaker bottles without the extra step so I feel incredibly foolish about having bought both the regular alubottle and the Pro to try them out because that's a substantial waste of money with the design flaws and the peeling issue. Expensive lesson learned.
  8. Krunkie McKrunkface

Krunkie McKrunkface Kava Enthusiast

point taken
    Intrepidus_dux and Kodiak like this.
  9. _byron

_byron Member

Looks to be a limited issue. I have had mine for 3 ~months

Original for comparison bought on release
    kavamehameha likes this.
  10. kastom_lif

kastom_lif Kava Enthusiast

Thanks for bringing this up @Kodiak. I've never run into this issue personally, though it's good to be aware of the possibilty.

And I just have one word to say to you...

Camaytoc and Krun╩×y like this.
  11. Kodiak

Kodiak Member