What's new

Pro's and con's of your local URBAN MAINLAND kava bar

Pacifico

Kava Enthusiast
As I sit here at the local (mainland) kava bar, I realize that most of us here (U.S.Mainland forum members) don't have this option. Here are the ups and downs of the urban kava bar near me.

** Note: This post is about urban, "new world" kava bars. We know that island kava bars are of course more cool and always will be. I have in mind the guy drinking kava at home in Middle America wondering what it's like to be sipping with others in California or something like that.

Pros:
They are good with brand new kava drinkers.
The music isn't too loud.
You have zero work to do. You just drink.
Flavors change daily if you are into that.
A few different strains are always available, including a blend.
The owner is great.
Ample parking and ample seating.

Cons:
The kavaristas know enough about the kava on hand to explain it all to a new customer. I wish there was more to the conversation though.
You can't be sure of the general grog concentration. I suppose they would tell me but can you really know?
It is smoke-free here but it still smells like smoke.
Am I supposed to whistle or snap my fingers for another shell? I have had an empty shell on the bar's edge for 12 mins. (I timed it.)
The kavarista needs to go out for another cigarette.
I sort of feel like I am crashing a private party. Do I wish I was friends with the employees or do I wish that I was on my sofa watching Lost?

Conclusion:
I admit that I am lucky to be near a few kava bars but there is no reason for any kava drinkers in the middle of nowhere to be jealous. Perhaps some kava bars in America are more social and more customer-oriented and I maybe would like them on an occasional Friday night. Perhaps it would be more fun if I didn't stop in alone. (I am the only kava drinker that I know.) Regardless of the negatives associated with this spot, I can't ignore the positives. It is nice to know that I can stop at a place after running errands or before going home after work. However, I don't think my local spot can compete with my home patio or my sofa and my own supply of kava, blended by me.

Last edited:

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
What I liked about visiting Melo Melo in Berkeley is that it's a good kava-friendly environment in which to enjoy kava. No one will look at you funny for being over-friendly or conversational or, as I get after my shells, a tad "huggy" with people. I do tend to get a little more physically demonstrative. Anyways, the sense of being in a place where kava is appreciated by the other people is kinda fun.

I've enjoyed kava the most when taking a quart to friends' parties. And of course chilling at home by myself or with my family.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
The only one I've been to was called Hale Noa, on O'ahu.
I liked the candle lit vibe, similar minded chill people, mellow music and live acoustic/ukulele shows.
I don't like the idea of having to get home while sedated or the price markup.
Vanuatu nakamal scene sounds like it's the best for me...good, strong fresh kava for 1$ a shell in a dim environment.

Pacifico

Kava Enthusiast
I don't think I need hugs and dollar shells. I do need service that makes me feel happy to be drinking kava at a kava bar and not at home though.