What's new

Putting dried medium grind in strainer and shaking before adding water...

Moondo57

Kava Curious
What I mean is putting a few tablespoons of the dried medium grind kava in your strainer bag and shaking it over the bowl to let the really fine particles out before adding the water... Wouldn't this be a more efficient way to make sure to get all of the kavalactones out?!

krazyforkava

Kava Enthusiast
I've done something like that in the past to make my own "Micronized" kava. Not sure how it would help with getting more kavalactones out of it.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
It’s good for krunking, especially with a fine fluffy grind, like nambawan e.g.

Today after finishing a bag of mahakea I poured in about 150 ml water, sealed it again, shook well, poured it out and drank it. IMO it was worth it. There was enough fine powder like you are talking about adhering to the inside of the bag. Shame to chuck good root, eh?

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
What I mean is putting a few tablespoons of the dried medium grind kava in your strainer bag and shaking it over the bowl to let the really fine particles out before adding the water... Wouldn't this be a more efficient way to make sure to get all of the kavalactones out?!
Do you mean sifting medium grind before you submerge it in water and kneading it? The kneading is the most important part to extract some of the kavalactones. Sifting a finer powder just to compress it into a denser mass between your fingers sounds redundant.

If you're concerned about larger makas, you could take a spice grinder to reduce those into smaller pieces, but it may not be a significant difference if you're doing traditional prep. I'd do this more if you're using an Aluball shaker.