What's new

Putting Kava powder in boiling water.

Dear all, I'm relatively new to the Kava world. The effects are very good and comparable to those of benzodiazepines such as Xanax and Valium.

I recently ordered a huge quantity of Kava Powder.
The problem is that I don't know how to consume it.

I ate several tablespoons but I found the taste absolutely disgusting, so that it made me almost vomit.

Would it be possible for me to leave the Kava powder in boiling water for, say, 10 minutes, come back and filter out the Kava powder from the boiling water, in the hope that the latter is now full of Kavalactones, so that I only need to drink it like I drink a tea?

Many thanks for your advice.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
Kava is traditionally prepared by kneading the root in water, then filtering out the solid root matter. Warm water keeps your hands from feeling needlessly cold while kneading the root, but higher temperatures actually causes the kavalactones to break down. The kneading action is the most important part as the kava root sediment doesn't dissolve in water very well. Consequently, once you have some grog made up, you'll need to shake or stir it before you pour yourself another cup as the best stuff settles at the bottom.

If you want something more convenient than medium grind kava, consider micronized or instant kava powders. Micronized kava is simply finely-ground dry kava root. Some of the less appetizing parts of the plant may get finely ground up into it, and I hear reports of people feeling sick after overimbibing in micronized, but you still get good effects. Instant kava, which I personally recommend, is where they make kava grog with fresh root (rather than dried) then dehydrate the resulting grog. The remaining solids are then crushed into a powder that rehydrates with water. The convenience comes with a price, of course. You either spend more on micronized or even more on instant.

One more thing: Kava has an acquired taste. You'll find that properly-made grog may still have an awful taste, but you get used to it. Some of the milder kavas I hardly notice the taste at all.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support

verticity

I'm interested in things
Oh nice, apparently only "5% of kavalactones" are lost from kneading kava in boiling water, which is basically pennies. Good to know! I like using warm water but it's more to do with having a comfortable water temperature to knead the bag in more than extracting more kavalactones. It also goes down easier warm than cold.
Boiling can make a strong drink, but I wouldn't recommend it, especially if nausea is a concern because it makes the taste and texture much grosser.. I also prefer warm or hot tap water (not boiling), but also usually chill in the refrigerator first as I find cold or room temperature grog more palatable..

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
Hi, I tried to prepare myself a Kava tea which I drank.
There is a small problem: it made me vomit ::awesomesmiles::

Apart from capsules, what might be the alternative?
How'd you prepare it? We could use some details to see what you might possible do better the next go-round.