What's new

Putting the "Kava" back in "Kava Bar" at the Modernesian

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
I wasn't aware that many people associate kava bars with K@. I rely entirely on ordering kava online, since we have no kava bars in my neck of the woods, hence the unawareness.

Good on you, @Kavafied !

nashfire

Stay Rooted
Thanks for your dedication to da root Matt! Wish we had a kava bar here in Boise, have been by BKH in Portland once and loved it. Keep on shellin'! ::kavaleaf::::alubottle::::tanoafull::

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
I'm happy to see that Modernesian is focusing on kava because that's what a kava bar should do but I also wish the kava community would stop pushing the idea that the K@ industry somehow needs kava or is "clinging to kava". These kava bars or tea shops selling K@ and kava aren't popular with K@ consumers and K@ certainly doesn't need kava to make sales. From the opposite angle it looks much more like an issue with kava bars improperly marketing K@ as merely a recreational intoxicant. It seems to me the best way for the community to influence these kava bars would be engage with the shop owners rather than continually blame K@ for existing.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
K@ certainly doesn't need kava to make sales.
An independent observer would likely come to the conclusion that the opposite is true; that K@ can't be sold in brick and mortar bars and cafes without kava.
How else can one explain the use of kava as a cover for K@ sales? Where are the K@ bars?

_byron

Kava Enthusiast
An independent observer would likely come to the conclusion that the opposite is true; that K@ can't be sold in brick and mortar bars and cafes without kava.
How else can one explain the use of kava as a cover for K@ sales? Where are the K@ bars?
K@ is sold in head shops/smoke shops in the U.S. I am assuming they cannot be called K@ bars due to business licensing or maybe public appearance , but that is pure speculation.

I did do a tour of tampas kava bars and saw more K@ then kava being bought at most "kava" bars.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
I am assuming they cannot be called K@ bars due to business licensing or maybe public appearance , but that is pure speculation. I did do a tour of tampas kava bars and saw more K@ then kava being bought at most "kava" bars.
My point exactly.
@SelfBiasResistor says
I also wish the kava community would stop pushing the idea that the K@ industry somehow needs kava or is "clinging to kava".
But as you rightly point out, most "kava" bars are just K@ bars clinging to kava, using kava as a cover for their less socially accepted product. They aren't "clinging to kava" to survive (K@ is far bigger than kava), but to gain an air of legitimacy.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
K@ is sold in many brick and mortar stores without kava so I'm not sure why you think it needs kava with it. Depending on the area there are many convenience stores, CBD/hemp oil shops, etc that sell it. The quality of the products are typically low just like most kava sold at local shops.

Where are the K@ bars?
Exactly. K@ doesn't lend itself well to a bar environment. It's not dosed the same way as alcohol or kava and K@ consumers aren't wanting to drink it in bars. These establishments attract locals that like to pay a ridiculous price for a small amount of likely low quality product.

But as you rightly point out, most "kava" bars are just K@ bars clinging to kava, using kava as a cover for their less socially accepted product.
Considering very few people know what either plant is or does, labeling K@ as less socially accepted is just ridiculous. The general public and scientific community overwhelmingly support K@ being available and this idea that K@ is generally considered a drug just isn't accurate.

They aren't "clinging to kava" to survive (K@ is far bigger than kava), but to gain an air of legitimacy.
This one is really a stretch. K@ is legitimate in it's own right and being sold with kava isn't going to improve its image. If anything, mismarketing it as an intoxicating beverage at a bar will bring negative attention to it which is why it would be better if these "kava bars" could survive on selling kava alone. These bars don't benefit the K@ community or the average K@ consumer and it's getting old seeing people claim they do whether it's to intentionally misinform the kava community or just due to a lack of knowledge and understanding.