What's new

Question about Product Claimed to be Organic

Status
Not open for further replies.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Hi Tyler,

I had further questions in that other thread, but you haven't returned to answer them so I assume you stopped following it after your last post there.

I noticed that you claim that this product is the "only certified organic kava on the planet".
That's a great selling point; is there a reason you haven't put that on your product label? I assume because there are strict regulations around labeling and making false claims on a label could put you in hot water.

As far as I can tell, the 11yr waka is not certified organic. Maybe @Bula Kava House can confirm this for us.

Organic certified kava is produced in Vanuatu, Hawaii, and Samoa, but not in Fiji.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
The 11 Year Waka we sold was/is certified organic, by whatever the Australian agency that certifies organic is called. We didn't put it on the label either. I don't know any vendors selling any other kava for drinking that is certified organic. That's not to say that it's not organically grown, just that it's not certified.
@kasa_balavu

FYS

Shell Shocked
I was wondering about this too, not from any vendor in particular but just in general. I've seen it a few times. I'm sure a lot of it is organically grown but getting a 100% certified organic approval in the US can be an ordeal and takes a fair amount of time and testing. I'm not sure how much harder it is for intl sellers growing in a foreign country and then selling in the US but I would be interested to hear from people growing internationally and then selling in the US and what steps need to be taken to get the 100% certified organic approval for labeling in the US.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Thanks @Bula Kava House.

Have Wakaya provided you with a certificate confirming that?
Because the ACO website listing for Wakaya doesn't include kava as a certified crop.
The USDA Organic Integrity database also lists Wakaya crops without a mention of kava.

Wakaya Perfection sell a number of products, which are all advertised as organic
eg: amazon.com/Wakaya-Perfection-Organic-Fijian-Ginger/dp/B00M0CBWG2/

Their kava however, has never been labelled organic:
amazon.com/Wakaya-Perfection-Kava/dp/B00NHXX6LC

Wakaya Perfection organic certificate on the ACO website:

Perhaps there is a typo on the websites and Tyler has an actual certificate that includes kava.

I'm hoping he pops in to clarify the situation.

BTW @Bula Kava House, just a heads-up... since my post here asking for your input on this as well, the forum rules have changed and vendors are now prohibited from posting in other vendors' forums.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
This is the certificate that Wakaya was using and displaying last year. No kava here, so unless things have changed in 2016, the kava is not "certified organic", but I guess it's still very likely to be organic.

Attachments

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
They also have another certificate from a NZ-based organisation. According to this certificate their sea salt is organic, but maybe this means that the whole farm is organic? I just don't know how these things work.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.