What's new

Question: Ginger+ginger ale and Kava? oO

Status
Not open for further replies.

gork

Kava Enthusiast
Just curius: anyone know or can guess why some kava cause nausea?
Also why that sometimes gets worked around with ginger (powder) and ginger ail?

Just wondering because today for what ever reason I decided to try some root (eva and last dregs of nabawan) that'd given me bit of nausea. However when mixed with garlic, ginger, and a gingerail the nausea part went mostly poof. I haven't a clue why, curius I thought I'd ask.
It's also helping to have a ton more water than I'd otherwise. I have no idea what part of what is helping or why.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Don't know precisely but it's completely common for kava to cause nausea and well known that humans have used ginger to help stomach aches and nausea, for a long time. Kava is partially nauseating because of it's strong bitterness, which your body probably assumes is something bad, so it wants to get rid of it. Another reason is that dry kava powder puts a lot more sediment in your beverage/stomach than fresh kava...and since it's weaker than fresh kava, you usually have to drink more of it, so now you have more sediment and more liquid in your belly. Another part of it is simply a side-effect of whatever the active ingredients alter in your body, because clean strong fresh kava will also give you a certain kind of nausea as well. Just as nausea is a natural side-effect of kava, the mild relief of nausea is a natural effect of Ginger. It probably blocks some neurotransmitter signal, produces enzymes that help break down the kava better or something like that.

Last edited:

gork

Kava Enthusiast
Don't know precisely but it's completely common for kava to cause nausea and well known that humans have used ginger to help stomach aches and nausea, for a long time. Kava is partially nauseating because of it's strong bitterness, which your body probably assumes is something bad, so it wants to get rid of it. Another reason is that dry kava powder puts a lot more sediment in your beverage/stomach than fresh kava...and since it's weaker than fresh kava, you usually have to drink more of it, so now you have more sediment and more liquid in your belly. Another part of it is simply a side-effect of whatever the active ingredients alter in your body, because clean strong fresh kava will also give you a certain kind of nausea as well. Just as nausea is a natural side-effect of kava, the mild relief of nausea is a natural effect of Ginger. It probably blocks some neurotransmitter signal, produces enzymes that help break down the kava better or something like that.
Seriusly! that is re-assuring. And so cool to learn.
If I may loosely interpert for my dyslexic brain:
Kava looks and smells weird
Brain says: that's bad
Stomach says: hmm maybe we can handle this
Body says: yeah baybe
Brain says; I can't even...and egad You're bloated!

Hmmm I wonder if that's why at first when young in some parts or the world, it's pretty common for: Spinach=bad (looks and smells weird)
Brauchli=Goodluck (Same)
But then latter decide: Brachile with cheese=premo Doesn't smell wierd and looks ok depdning on taste.

OH Ya know it also accured to me! If it's warm ginger tea. For some reason that (in general) helps with digestion. I haven't a clue why.

Seriusly: thanks for that theory.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I do not experience nausea from kava. I have tried to ponder why that is to pass on whatever could help but I got nothing other than there is good sediment, the silky stuff, and bad sediment, the gritty sandy or woody stuff. Only swallow the good stuff. That is all I got.

muddywaters

Kava Enthusiast
I get bad bloating and some nausea with certain strains. I'm just getting out of the newbie stage of kava drinking and learning more now about it and how it effects my body now. I've been enjoying Hanakapi lately because it plays real nice with me personally and ordered Borogu after some research cause it appears to be a nice next step up if I enjoyed that. But this weekend I had some Loa stored away I hadn't finished yet from when I knew nothing and just picked a strain that I thought I had the best chance with. Decided to give it a try again cause I'm more experienced and it hit me like a train, I was thoroughly krunked. I was the drunken, vibrating magic man if that makes any sense. Before that I didn't realize how potent kava can get and when the major numbing mind and body effects wore off and I was left with a heavy residual sedation I was pretty bloated and a bit nauseated for a while after. Next night I had my usual again and besides going over my kava comfort zone for how much I drink in a week now it was perfect again and I slept real well.

Taking a break today cause I wanna bounce back before I get back in but in my case what you're using plays a role in it and how well your body plays with it. I'm someone who can eat broccoli and spinach too without any issues. I mean just had a ton of spinach tonight with some peas in mustard. Not turning into a balloon here over that and I normally don't have any nausea issues.

muddywaters

Kava Enthusiast
Yeah ginger is soothing to the tum. Instant ginger tea powder stirred into a shell works well and improves the flavor for the beginners
I ordered some stuff called bean-zyme to see if it helps and I'll try ginger tea too. By the way saw your message if you didn't notice on rosemary and responded. I gotta pay better attention to my notifications.

pallasathena1969

Kava Curious
I enjoy eating candied ginger and used to nibble on it for morning sickness. I bought some to keep on hand in case a certain strain of kava gets me nauseous. Besides that, it’s yummy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

semarla

I do not experience nausea from kava. .
I’m fairly new to kava, and have thus far only ever tried the micronized product. Every time I have drunk kava I have experienced nausea to some extent, as well as some lower GI issues, gas primarily. It’s not intolerable, but it does take away from the positive aspects for me. Do you sense people have fewer nausea events with a traditional prep rather than drinking micronized?

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I’m fairly new to kava, and have thus far only ever tried the micronized product. Every time I have drunk kava I have experienced nausea to some extent, as well as some lower GI issues, gas primarily. It’s not intolerable, but it does take away from the positive aspects for me. Do you sense people have fewer nausea events with a traditional prep rather than drinking micronized?
I confess complete ignorance to anything related to instant or micronised. I cannot say one way or another.

All I know is that in general, both ginger and mint have been shown useful for temporary stomach problems including nausea, so either or both are advisable in a "chaser."

Status
Not open for further replies.