Change background image

Question regarding liquor and kava

Discussion in 'Anxiety & Interactions.' started by Skinskava, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Skinskava

Skinskava New Member

Have any regular users noticed this... It seems if I drink liquor and 24 hours later have kava there are no negative effects. Yet, 24 hours after drinking kava having whiskey seems to have an array of negative effects. Lastly, insect bites seem to increase in inflammation and size post kava session. Very strange but curious on your guys take.
    Krunkie McKrunkface likes this.
  2. Skinskava

Skinskava New Member

This is only my experiences but maybe theres a reason for more negative effects kava than liquor (24 hr spacing always) than liquor (24 hrs later) kava
  3. Kapmcrunk

Kapmcrunk The Kaptain of Crunk KavaForums Founder

My personal thoughts would be that kava probably sticks around in your system much longer than alcohol, causing the interaction. Once you've consumed your kava, the alcohol in your system is probably long gone. When you drink alcohol on kava at 24 hours you may still have kavalactones in your system.
  4. Intrepidus_dux

Intrepidus_dux Kava Enthusiast

Shoot, I very likely always have kavalactones in my system at this point! :smuggrin:
    kastom_lif and Kapmcrunk like this.
  5. Jellyman64

Jellyman64 Δ Kavanaut Δ

This is so true. I had a very potentiated experience with one beer feeling like two, and two feeling like four, about exactly 24 hours after having a pretty heavy bula sesh. Honestly, I had been utilizing so many liver processed things, I think I overloaded it (I also take meds for depression, spoiler alert, metabolized by the liver) and since I also have non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, I wasn't in great shape. Unfortunately I had to give kava up for now. It was a decision I made with a heavy heart, as I had so many good times with her, and she healed my anxiety and depression so well. I sure do miss it, but maybe when I'm off the meds and am in a healthier place one day I'll be confident enough to reunite with my beloved.
  6. Zaphod

Zaphod Kava Enthusiast

Pretty sure that I have seen the half-life of kavain as roughly 9hrs and that the heavier KLs can be detected up to 48hrs in urine. That said it is all a matter of amount, and how one reacts individually. I have no noticeable negative effects enjoying a moderate amount of alcohol the next day. I enjoy my craft beers and occasional bourbon. Others however have reported rashes/hives, more nausea, lower alcohol tolerance in general the day after kava. If you are feeling these effects I would back off and give yourself more time in between the two.
    Mo'iety likes this.