What's new

Quick question about micron measurements on strainers ?

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I'm going to get my 1st strainer soon, and I'm not sure the difference between the higher and lower micron numbers, or where to find the answer.
Does a higher micron number mean the strainer has wider openings in the strainer, to allow more powder to pass through, or does it mean the opposite ?

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
From what I've found, at higher micron counts, strainer bags will let more kava sediment into your grog. Compared to a smaller micron count, I am not knowledgeable on how significant the difference in grog strength is, but with smaller micron bags, you're less likely to accidentally let bigger particles through that might make you sick. I've found with my 50 micron bag the grog has a less harsh flavor?

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
It sounds like the grog would be stronger in the higher micron amounts, since you're allowing more substance through the "filter"

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
It sounds like the grog would be stronger in the higher micron amounts, since you're allowing more substance through the "filter"
On paper, using a large micron bag and then filtering the resulting grog further in a filter with smaller microns should retain most of the 'good stuff' that you kneaded out in the larger micron bag. That may be more work than most would want to do though.

verticity

I'm interested in things
You're right that a higher micron filter makes stronger kava, but the trade off is if the particle size is too big it can cause stomach upset because the particles are mostly insuluble cellulose. On one extreme you can do "toss and wash", i.e. drink the whole root without filtering. That is the way to get the strongest possible kava because you are wasting nothing, but most people don't like to do that because it's like drinking sawdust, and most people's stomachs can't deal with it. Since everyone is different it takes some experimentation to figure out the ideal micron size by balancing strength vs. stomach upset. There is no single answer, just individual preference which varies.