What's new

Real Live Kava Plant

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Different stem pics...
I still think it is Mahakea. As the plant gets older, more characteristics may show up that change my opinion. Usually 6 months old is best to show up all the specific signs...sort of like a fast growing child--1 year in the life of a kava plant = XX in human years!! The biggest caveat is-- do we know for sure the Nursery got their cuttings from Hawai'i? We assume so? If not Hawai'i I am clueless.

Kravatomill

Kava Curious
Does anyone of you guys know if they ship international? Thailand in this case.
Also, do you think kava would thrive here, I mean the weather is good and all, I'm more worried about the soil, but I guess that could be adjusted to the preferences of the plant? (My fingers are far from green though so don't hate me for stupid questions)

Jerome

Kava Lover
Does anyone of you guys know if they ship international? Thailand in this case.
Also, do you think kava would thrive here, I mean the weather is good and all, I'm more worried about the soil, but I guess that could be adjusted to the preferences of the plant? (My fingers are far from green though so don't hate me for stupid questions)
Is that a cambodian scarf on your shoulder? I've got one just like it.

I'd bet there are places in Thailand that would support kava growth. Read that pdf I posted. I can imagine Thailand has ideal conditions for kava. Just need to amend the soil. But i bet chicken dung wouldn't be hard to come by there.

Jerome

Kava Lover
@Ricardo Piquant

How goes the horticulture Don Ricardo? We've had a couple mild cold snaps here and I thought about your plant. Supposed to hit upper thirties inland in central florida this weekend.

Still growing strong?

Ricardo Piquant

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
How goes the horticulture Don Ricardo? We've had a couple mild cold snaps here and I thought about your plant. Supposed to hit upper thirties inland in central florida this weekend.

Still growing strong?
They are still going! . .. putting out tiny green shoots right at the base where the stem emerges from soil line. It's still been pretty warm where I am. I will post some pictures later when I see them.

Jerome

Kava Lover
how much dried root can someone get from 2 completely aged kava plants?
Seems to be a wide margin. The PDF I linked to above says yields of 20-60 pounds fresh root are possible.

I think I read also that dried root is 25% of fresh root. So perhaps 5 to 15 pounds a plant of dried root?

http://pacificschoolserver.org/content/_public/Local Topics/Pacific Islands/Agriculture for Islands/Specialty crops/Kava.pdf

I'm going to try container growing this spring. I've got a shady side of my house that rarely gets full sun. The AC unit is also there so I figure I can rig the condensation drip to keep the soil moist. It does mean I'll have to move all my kayaks though...

Last edited:

Vladimir Lemon

Kava Curious
Wow, those actually look very pretty just as house plants! When you harvest them be sure to get a testing kit to let us know if it's noble or not!