What's new

Real Live Kava Plant

Jerome

Kava Lover
@Ricardo Piquant
Lows in the mid fifties for Miami tonight. We're dropping to the upper thirties. I think i need to move. I didn't know there was such a discrepancy since we're only about five hours from there. We'll see how you're kava does.

Jerome

Kava Lover
They are hanging in there. One stopped growing it seems, and the other is still putting out small new shoots. They definitely do not like cooler Temps. I also cut back on waterng them, they seem to like drier soil
That was the problem I had when I tried years ago. Too much water. This month we've had our coldest day in years, and for the last two days we've had 25-30 mph gusts so I'm thinking kava where I live would be a greenhouse venture. I hope they survive! Spring is just around the corner.

Ricardo Piquant

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
@Ricardo Piquant So I've been wondering how your plants are doing? Just about ready to harvest right??
They have slowed to a crawl. No new shoots. And the new shoots stopped growing. Luckily havent had any more cooler Temps. I'm wondering if it's just not a good timer of year for growing. I have no idea, but they are still alive at least

Jerome

Kava Lover
They have slowed to a crawl. No new shoots. And the new shoots stopped growing. Luckily havent had any more cooler Temps. I'm wondering if it's just not a good timer of year for growing. I have no idea, but they are still alive at least
Good to hear. The alive part that is. Well spring will sprung here shortly and things should start growing again.

I wonder if light supplementation would help...

Jerome

Kava Lover
No... I haven't. I thought they might be too young. The leaves look dead around the edges, and the shoots stopped growing. They look tattered :(
Awww... probably needs to eat. Maybe a diluted fish emulsion with essential micronutrients? Compost tea might help? I've got quite a bit of quail dung if you're ever in central west Florida.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
@Alia @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava
Do you know if kava grows in Zone 10b on Hawai'i or does that appear to be too high up the mountain?
Here's a map:
kavaklimate.png

My area of SoCal is 10b. I'd also have to be aware of others things, like soil and drainage etc...
but are there certain cultivars that are known to hold up to the cold better ?

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
The highest point where I have seen 'Awa growing was about 3000 feet. 'Awa does not like high elevation, it does not like cold, it does not like wind (I turned a tall Hiwa to a short Moi looking 'Awa by putting it in a high wind area) and 'Awa does not like being dry for long periods of time.
I have had the temp get into the upper 40ies with no problems when I was growing 'Awa in the Waimea area and even here at my home in Mountain View it will get into the 40ies sometimes and the 50ies is common in the winter time.
It is these things that for the most part will stop people from growing kava on the mainland, I would be interested to see if it could be done in a controlled environment inside a greenhouse.
Aloha.

Chris

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
The highest point where I have seen 'Awa growing was about 3000 feet. 'Awa does not like high elevation, it does not like cold, it does not like wind (I turned a tall Hiwa to a short Moi looking 'Awa by putting it in a high wind area) and 'Awa does not like being dry for long periods of time.
I have had the temp get into the upper 40ies with no problems when I was growing 'Awa in the Waimea area and even here at my home in Mountain View it will get into the 40ies sometimes and the 50ies is common in the winter time.
It is these things that for the most part will stop people from growing kava on the mainland, I would be interested to see if it could be done in a controlled environment inside a greenhouse.
Aloha.

Chris
I might build a green house someday to try it out, but I think I'm gonna give it a shot without one too.
I don't get much wind here, a few times a year maybe. It usually only gets into the 30/40s overnight in the winter, there can occasionally be a light frost though. Daytime temps typically range from 55-90 degrees.
I managed to a grow a Mango seedling here by bringing it inside when it was near freezing. Now that it's older, it isn't as susceptible to the cold. People that have established mango trees no longer have problems with the cold. I wonder if the same would go for kava.

When you say kava doesn't like being dry are you talking about the humidity/ambient air or watering the soil?

Jerome

Kava Lover
I'm going to try again as well. we haven't had freezing temps in at least 8 years. I figure I could put together a teepee green house for winter.

Palmetto

Thank God!
I have one Hawaiian plant still growing, albeit smaller than it was last fall. Several others may come back from the roots, who knows. The remaining plant is probably Hiwa. I might dig the label out of the soil, but I think this particular pot was Hiwa. I had a Honokane Iki that tried to hang on indoors, but it was either too dessicated or root rot that cause it to decline over a long weekend. I kept it at work, so it was okay on Friday, not so good on Tuesday.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
I might build a green house someday to try it out, but I think I'm gonna give it a shot without one too.
I don't get much wind here, a few times a year maybe. It usually only gets into the 30/40s overnight in the winter, there can occasionally be a light frost though. Daytime temps typically range from 55-90 degrees.
I managed to a grow a Mango seedling here by bringing it inside when it was near freezing. Now that it's older, it isn't as susceptible to the cold. People that have established mango trees no longer have problems with the cold. I wonder if the same would go for kava.

When you say kava doesn't like being dry are you talking about the humidity/ambient air or watering the soil?
A bit of both-- but if the air is dry and/or windy it can dry out the leaves quickly. For example-- I am 190 feet above sea level with temperature never getting below 60 F. and never above about 85 F. more or less. In the winter when we have strong north winds AND rain...that's fine for the 'awa plants. If it is strong wind and no rain, that is a worry. Another observation...I have a large Hanakapi'ai on a north slope right next to a drain area for a water-only outdoor sink (I never use chemical in that sink) and that 'awa does incredible. So, quite wet but well-drained soil. Does any of that make sense ?

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
A bit of both-- but if the air is dry and/or windy it can dry out the leaves quickly. For example-- I am 190 feet above sea level with temperature never getting below 60 F. and never above about 85 F. more or less. In the winter when we have strong north winds AND rain...that's fine for the 'awa plants. If it is strong wind and no rain, that is a worry. Another observation...I have a large Hanakapi'ai on a north slope right next to a drain area for a water-only outdoor sink (I never use chemical in that sink) and that 'awa does incredible. So, quite wet but well-drained soil. Does any of that make sense ?
So water helps protect from wind damage in some way...and they can withstand excess water so long as the soil is very well drained. I'm thinking that if I can get the cuttings to grow, I'll put 'em in a very large, well-draining pot with a volcanic rock / soil mix. How big of a container would be recommended to grow a 3-5 year old plant in, or would planting in the ground eventually be necessary? I've read stories about kava being grown in hollowed out logs to a create a more pristine root system for gift-giving.