What's new

Kava Culture Rituals

infraredz

BULA!
We all know a little about the various kava rituals among the Pacific Islands' communities. They're all different and unique in their own way, as are ours I imagine.

What is your ritual? What do you like to do after finishing a few shells of kava? How do you celebrate your kava?

For me, after straining my kava into a bowl, I like to give a little mental, unspoken thanks to the earth and its' beauty and "thank" the kava.

I drink my grog, sit down and put a good record on in my comfy couch in a nice dark room. There's something about music that connects on a deep level for me and I find it always brings about a great amount of tranquility, especially after some kava. I like to embrace the relaxation and focus on the good in everything which is something that's normally hard for me to do, and try to rid myself of all the negative, hostile thoughts and feelings that subconsciously build up throughout the day.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I find the "Listening to the kava" phase important to me too. I drink my kava, curse at the tile on the sink in my kitchen about the taste, and then I sit down and smoke on my e-cig for about 15 minutes. Usually I'll browse reddit, then hit the bed. It's always the same routine though.

KavaGurl

The Original Kava Forum Mama
Lately I've been playing music and dancing while squeezing my daily kava..picture that one! lol...it's a great way to start the day! Then I have my kava breakfast and I'm ready to tackle the days events...In the evening, I like to chill out and watch a good movie..and chat with friends here or thru text. I'm quite the chatterbox after a few shells!

Piper Methysticum

Let Kava Take The Wheel
Last few days I've been watching a movie Gospel of Matthew after my shell. I don't think I could even attempt to really absorb it w/o kava.

endwatcher

Is there death before life?
I live life.
Its much better while rooted.
Clarity, Calm, Concious.

3 things most never expierence.
I get to expierence it everyday after a shell.

I also Thank the root "earth"
My personal beliefs are Gnostism, and..something in between Nature and the realization that we are all one.
So that being, I give thanks to the many.

I do love Jammin to some good tune-skies too :headphones:

brett123

Kava Curious
After clapping twice after downing a shell I like to take a moment to remember loved ones that have passed before the loving embrace of kava wraps me in its shield no pain no suffering being at peace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KavaLot

Kava Enthusiast
endwatcher, I'm curious about Gnostism. Never heard of it before and when I tried to look it up all I found was blah, blah, blah, loose form of religion....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KavaLot

Kava Enthusiast
4:00 pm has become my kava hour. I like to take the edge off by belting back a couple before dinner and then relax the evening away with a few more around 8:00 pm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LocalBliss

Finder of the Samoan Kava
The pacific islanders would cup their hands and clap [makes it sound deep & full] 2 or 3 times before holding the shell and would pour a few drops to the ground muttering "this is your Kava God thank you for today, cheers" then drink.
I was doing that But from now on I am gonna copy Infraredz's ritual as it is more profound. (y)

Grant Moore

Don't be in a hurry to go no where.
After making my kava I give it a thank you and then spread the used root it in my backyard and return it to the earth. Then I have a few shells, lay back, and put on some modest mouse.

KavaLot

Kava Enthusiast
I agree Grant, flushing it down the drain or dumping it in the garbage seems a bit taboo. I was dumping the spent root on some ant hills last summer to see what would happen. While it doesn't kill the ants, they don't like it and will relocate the nest. if you keep applying it on their new homes with some water, you can move them the hell out of your yard. Now who would have thought it has this nice dual purpose.

Grant Moore

Don't be in a hurry to go no where.
I agree Grant, flushing it down the drain or dumping it in the garbage seems a bit taboo. I was dumping the spent root on some ant hills last summer to see what would happen. While it doesn't kill the ants, they don't like it and will relocate the nest. if you keep applying it on their new homes with some water, you can move them the hell out of your yard. Now who would have thought it has this nice dual purpose.

That's awesome to know. I might try that.

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan

Just saw this post, I'm co-opting this idea for around the house. Seems we have some uninvited guests as weather warmed up. Worth a try and it does feel better than just dumping it